U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 11:29 AM

10,959 posts, read 15,249,600 times

Advertisements

Starting today we are getting a video ad with a tab at the top with the word EDGE.
I have zoomed in to catch the image and wonder where it has come from so suddenly.
Attached Thumbnails
How to get rid of new popup ad-rewq.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 12:43 PM

3,972 posts, read 2,617,954 times
Install adblock plus on your browser. I couldn't live without it. I assume the browser you use already has a pop-up blocker?

https://adblockplus.org/

Old 10-05-2018, 03:52 PM

2,754 posts, read 2,697,393 times
If you use firefox, uBlock Origin also works great.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:12 PM

14,525 posts, read 15,744,952 times
If you know the URL you can block it in your 'hosts' file. I have tons of advertising in my 'hosts' file. Note that Linux, Windows, and IOS all use a 'hosts' file.

It wasn't intended for this purpose but many techies use their 'hosts' file as a built-in ad filter. You can google that.

URL = the part after the :// and ending in .com, or other TLD.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:17 PM

10,959 posts, read 15,249,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
If you know the URL you can block it in your 'hosts' file. I have tons of advertising in my 'hosts' file. Note that Linux, Windows, and IOS all use a 'hosts' file.

It wasn't intended for this purpose but many techies use their 'hosts' file as a built-in ad filter. You can google that.

URL = the part after the :// and ending in .com, or other TLD.
Here is the URL:

https://bid.underdog.media/testing/edge-logo-white.png

Where do we find hosts files on Windows 7. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:32 PM

I recommend using solutions other than 'hosts' file except for those who feel competent.

You would want to put this in your hosts file:

Quote:
127.0.0.1 bid.underdog.media
If you choose to do this, make a backup copy of your hosts file so you can restore the original if you wish. You can Google the location of your hosts file. It is called 'hosts' in every operating system AFAIK.

If Windows, use Notepad or Notepad++ (available for free download) (and make sure word wrap is off) and the Windows hosts file is located here:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

IMO any OS can do without this file entirely. It is a vestige of when the DNS system was not fully perfected, and was the only way to use anything other than IP addresses before DNS was invented. It was used to translate human readable URLs into IP addresses. You had to put every site in this file for URLs to work. Note that 127.0.0.1 is called the 'loopback' address because it refers to your computer itself. Since your computer doesn't have that file the image will be empty.

If you have any problems simply open the backup file and cut 'n paste the contents back into the original 'hosts' file.

Last edited by Lovehound; 10-07-2018 at 12:47 PM..

Old 10-08-2018, 08:31 AM

40,218 posts, read 41,815,454 times
Quote:

IMO any OS can do without this file entirely.

It may not be very useful for Joe Schmoe but I use it all the time... If you have a local web development server you'd use it to so you can load local version. The other thing I use it for is all my sites are proxied through Cloudlfare, if I'm troubleshooting something and want to bypass Cloudflare that is also situation where it would be used.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:30 AM

Exactly thecoalman. I had an old PC (i386) running Linux that I set up this way, and used my hosts file to set up a pseudo URL for it. I think that's exactly what you did. My poor i386 died, which was too bad because I was using the same distro as my server so that I had a local test bed.

I have a dedicated server with PhpMyAdmin set up this way. CloudFlare hides my server's IP address, but I of course know what it is. I just made up a URL and set up my server to serve that URL with my PhpMyAdmin. The real IP address is in my hosts file associates it with the pseudo-URL and it works just fine. (IIRC I used a non-existent TLD.) Even if somebody discovers my server IP address they won't know the pseudo-URL so my databases are hidden behind obfuscation, and still has the user/pass authentication to crack before they can access/alter my databases. I've secured my ssh with public and private keys so I figure my server is pretty hardened. No need for non-standard ports or port knocking. BTW do use a secure ssh client like WinSCP and secure it using public/private keys. Having an insecure ssh just begs to be hacked. Hello dictionary attack?

Anybody who doesn't understand the above, just ignore it. If you don't know what it is you don't need it. Those who do run servers, check out CloudFlare's free services. For server operators it's a fantastic benefit and all for free! I love the geo-location feature! With that you don't need to buy an IP-to-location database. And also, for anybody who wants to track an IP to its location: http://ip2location.com (it shows your location, and you can type any IP address into the search box (upper right corner) and find the location of any IP address. This site sells location databases and the manual look-up is a tease (a demo), but it's a nice tool for occasional use.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:12 PM

40,218 posts, read 41,815,454 times
Quote:
BTW do use a secure ssh client like WinSCP and secure it using public/private keys. Having an insecure ssh just begs to be hacked. Hello dictionary attack?

If I gave you the IP of my server and you edited your hosts file you will get server not found. Everything is completely fire walled off except email and that is on own it's own dedicated IP. Thus if the server comes under DDOS attack I can simply null route it. I lose email which is impossible to protect but the site continues to operate.

SSH requires keys which themselves are passworded. It's non standard port which as already mentioned is firewalled anyway. LOL If I've lined all my ducks up which I believe I have it's non existent to the public other than the email or http traffic proxied through Cloudflare. When I say non existent there is nothing to connect to unless you have the same IP as me.

My site came under a DDOS attack twice about a year and half ago, first time I was offline for about week. Second time two days, it should not happen again.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:50 PM

My site isn't worthy of attack. It's fun having a dedicated server but in a few years when my prepaid period ends I think I may go back to shared hosting and let them worry about it. I think we are in the area of being criticized for being off topic, and suggest we end this sub-discussion or create another topic. To tell the truth I may just not care. I'm getting sort of teched out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers