Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 04:40 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times

Advertisements

So we had a little heated argument on the phone with each other. Please read this and tell me if he was right and had a reason to be cross with me, or if I was at fault for not researching.

So the technician upgrades my RAM from 4gb to 8gb. He told me I need to also upgrade my 32 bit PC to 64 bit online in order for the RAM to be active in its full glory. Fair enough, I paid. And said I'll go home and do the update. It was going all well until, to my frustrating surprise, computer tech websites & forums all stated I must perform a clean installation of the system in order to upgrade to 64 bit and for the new RAM to be in full use. I wasn't up for that as backing up files can be mentally straining. Felt really deceived because he didn't tell me this at the store.

I called him back twice on this. At first he is like "nah, your computer can use the RAM as it is" (contradicting what he said at the store that I need 64 bit). On the second call, he admits that I have to reformat my computer. So I asked a simple question, ignoring his two blatant contradictions - "Why didn't you tell me this beforehand, that I need to reformat my PC?" All of a sudden, he gets really aggravated and emotional. He starts to have a condescending attitude towards me telling me that I should've researched and how it's not his problem. He then tells me how I know nothing about computers. - Okay, since when is this about computer knowledge? All I said to him is that he should've informed earlier (before I paid). He used ad hominems against me and made strawmans ("come here and let me teach you"), just because he made the mistake of not informing me this. Ironically, he mockingly tells me if I'm having a bad day.

I never experienced such arrogant and cantankerous behaviour from a staffs person. So after I buy the RAM and "Gotcha! Now you gotta reformat your PC and there is no refund, your problem, your loss". It felt like this.

He insists that it's my problem and not his. Is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 11:10 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,563 times
Ok well could be both issues.

1. 64 bit machines can see ram up to 32 gig. ( could be more) brainfart*
2. 32 bit machines can only see ram up to 4gig ( 3.5) on some models.
3. To upgrade from 32 bit software to 64 bit software you have to reinstall everything.
4. Whom ever install your os the first time should known that you have a 64 bit processor, and install the proper OS.
5. Age can affect some installs. If your machine has a 32 bit processor, then 8 gig of ram will not work no matter what OS you installed.

The fault is not doing research and understanding the tech talk. And always back up important files no matter the age.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:58 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Your tech (remember I'm only hearing your side) screwed up.

If he is going to recommend that upgrade then it is his responsibility to:

1. Add the RAM and do the Windows upgrade for you making sure you know what the 32 bit to 64 bit upgrade will cost.

2. Not add the 4GB of RAM without fully explaining to you the requirements for upgrading to 64 bit when you do it.

3. Not react the way he did assuming you didn't start screaming at him about it. Even then it's his place to keep things calm.

4. Remove the 4GB of RAM and refund your money. The cost of RAM and his labor.

When I had my business I would never have done what your tech did. But if I had I would have upgraded your PC to 64 bit at no charge. My fault. My fix. Things like that are why I had such steadfast clients.

You need a different tech. After all this I wouldn't trust him to do anything to a computer you own.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:19 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
You need a 64 bit system to begin with and it would be odd to have 32 bit OS originally installed. You cannot simply switch to 64 bit if it's not 64 bit. Make sure it's 64 bit machine before doing anything.

Assuming you have Windows in the Windows search box type system information and click to open it, in the right pane next to system type it should say x64 based PC.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:24 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You need a 64 bit system to begin with and it would be odd to have 32 bit OS originally installed. You cannot simply switch to 64 bit if it's not 64 bit. Make sure it's 64 bit machine before doing anything.

Assuming you have Windows in the Windows search box type system information and click to open it, in the right pane next to system type it should say x64 based PC.
I’m not a computer geek but it seems to me a 32 to 64 bit hardware upgrade is not trivial. Wouldn’t it require a new motherboard at least?

Old 10-08-2018, 09:16 AM

354 posts, read 280,969 times
Negative, it only requires a 64 bit processor (aka CPU). 64 bit CPUs are backwards compatible, you can run 32 bit Operating Systems on them. I'm sure some manufactures did this in years past on their budget systems. I would assume this is your case; you have 32 bit Windows on a 64 bit CPU. I'm assuming though. If the system is old enough it might have a 32 bit CPU.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I’m not a computer geek but it seems to me a 32 to 64 bit hardware upgrade is not trivial. Wouldn’t it require a new motherboard at least?

You can install 32 bit software on 64 bit system, matter of fact a lot of software is 32 bit. You cannot install 64 bit on 32 bit. It would be odd for someone to install 32 bit windows OS on 64 bit system because there is no reason to do that I'm aware of but it's possible.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:25 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

Considering what the tech did to/for the OP I have to wonder if he even checked.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:57 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
The technician should have known you needed to reinstall your OS. That he didn't tell you this indicates he's either sloppy, stupid, or dishonest.

In a common desktop it takes maybe 5-10 minutes to cram in another RAM module.

If he was honest and fair he should have offered a refund after he removes the new RAM module.

I don't see that you have much recourse if he won't do a full refund, other than bashing him on Yelp.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:35 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times
Excuse the months late reply. And thank you for the answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Your tech (remember I'm only hearing your side) screwed up.

If he is going to recommend that upgrade then it is his responsibility to:

1. Add the RAM and do the Windows upgrade for you making sure you know what the 32 bit to 64 bit upgrade will cost.

2. Not add the 4GB of RAM without fully explaining to you the requirements for upgrading to 64 bit when you do it.

3. Not react the way he did assuming you didn't start screaming at him about it. Even then it's his place to keep things calm.

4. Remove the 4GB of RAM and refund your money. The cost of RAM and his labor.

When I had my business I would never have done what your tech did. But if I had I would have upgraded your PC to 64 bit at no charge. My fault. My fix. Things like that are why I had such steadfast clients.

You need a different tech. After all this I wouldn't trust him to do anything to a computer you own.
Cross my heart, he really did lose it. I'm a calm person overall. Just after I asked him why he didn't tell me all this, that I would need to reformat my computer in order for the 8GB of RAM to be operational, he becomes cranky and nasty, and starts to insult me.

Funnily, he said he'd upgrade it to 64 bit for extra $40. That's why I opted to do it by myself at home.

You sound like a decent technician yourself. We need more of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
The technician should have known you needed to reinstall your OS. That he didn't tell you this indicates he's either sloppy, stupid, or dishonest.

In a common desktop it takes maybe 5-10 minutes to cram in another RAM module.

If he was honest and fair he should have offered a refund after he removes the new RAM module.

I don't see that you have much recourse if he won't do a full refund, other than bashing him on Yelp.
Dishonest, sly and greedy. He said he'll never do a refund and he was really adamant about that. Told me I'm wasting his time and he shut the phone on my face. And again, as I said above to another user, I never screamed at me or insulted him. Just told him that it was his job to tell me all this - Perhaps that triggered him.

Anyway, I needed the 8 GB of RAM. I did the strenuous task of backing up my content. I'm content with my reformatted computer. But people like him must be taken care of, really.

P.S. I "bashed" him on Google Map reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers