U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 01:13 PM

2,494 posts, read 4,768,658 times

Advertisements

A lot of people loaded the new update early and it was a disaster.

Will MS have an update on Tuesday like usual, or is it possible they will still be fixing it and it won't be ready Tuesday?

If there is an update available Tuesday, shouldn't we wait, out of fear it might still have problems?

If you use your Windows 10 Home, it's not easy to turn off updates. If there is one, I guess you can't stop it (actually there is a way to stop it having to do with your connection but I don't want to mess with it).

I'm hoping MS issues a statement about how they carefully fixed everything before Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 02:27 PM

28,619 posts, read 40,594,929 times
https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...s-big-upgrade/

(I never found the screenshot)

Quote:
Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and then click Advanced options to see all three settings, which I have labeled in the screenshot on this page.

Option 1 allows you to choose a servicing channel (previously called a branch). The default setting is Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted), which corresponds to what was previously known as the Current Branch.
You can change this setting to Semi-Annual Channel (the new name for what was previously known as Current Branch for Business, as shown here. That defers feature updates until Microsoft declares them "ready for business deployment." For version 1803, that declaration happened uncharacteristically quickly, a mere two months after the initial release.

Option 2 allows you to specify additional time after the official release to the channel you selected. You can delay the upgrade by up to an additional 365 days from its initial release date; in the example shown here, I've chosen a 90-day delay, which means that the 1809 feature update will not be offered to this PC until at least January 2019.

On any PC where you choose the full 365-day deferral and have opted in to the Semi-Annual Channel, you'll be spared any feature updates until sometime in late 2019 or early 2020. (Here, too, this option is available only on PCs running business and education versions of Windows 10.)

Option 3 works independently of the feature update settings and allows you to defer the monthly cumulative security updates and any additional out-of-band updates by up to 30 days. In this example I have chosen to delay these updates by 7 days to allow time for testing.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:05 PM

Related question: if you load updates, they get installed when you shut down. Suppose you never shut down - you only have it on or in sleep mode. Does that mean the updates would never get installed??

Old 10-08-2018, 05:28 PM

9,066 posts, read 6,392,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
A lot of people loaded the new update early and it was a disaster.

Will MS have an update on Tuesday like usual, or is it possible they will still be fixing it and it won't be ready Tuesday?

If there is an update available Tuesday, shouldn't we wait, out of fear it might still have problems?

If you use your Windows 10 Home, it's not easy to turn off updates. If there is one, I guess you can't stop it (actually there is a way to stop it having to do with your connection but I don't want to mess with it).

I'm hoping MS issues a statement about how they carefully fixed everything before Tuesday.
Thanks for the warning and reminder. This one sounds especially nasty....surprise, surprise.

I've disabled Windows Update and Background Intelligent Transfer Service, for all the good it will do me. I've gotta remember to check that setting every day to counter MS's meddling.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:46 PM

14,525 posts, read 15,740,557 times
I bought a couple micro-PCs with a 64GB SSD and Win10 Home, and even with no apps installed my 64GB SSD wasn't enough to handle that last big update (some media thing I wouldn't even use). Now my micro-PCs are useless.

Microsoft is just insane. They peaked at Win2000 and WinXP, and it's been downhill since.

If only Win10 Home had a way to turn off updates I could salvage my two micro-PCs.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I bought a couple micro-PCs with a 64GB SSD and Win10 Home, and even with no apps installed my 64GB SSD wasn't enough to handle that last big update (some media thing I wouldn't even use). Now my micro-PCs are useless.

Microsoft is just insane. They peaked at Win2000 and WinXP, and it's been downhill since.

If only Win10 Home had a way to turn off updates I could salvage my two micro-PCs.
Philosophically and ethically, W2000 was the peak. Because with XP came the notion of Microsoft remote control of your PC through activation and Windows "Genuine Advantage". It was technological evil, but with barely a yawn from the public at large, Microsoft did it simply because they could. Then, as you say, it's been downhill since. Microsoft, for all the world, seems to be vying with government for the title of greatest public disdain.

You actually can turn off updates in Windows 10 Home. Problem is, Microsoft turns it back on. But something I didn't try in my losing battle to avoid 1803 was checking update setting status every single day and turning it off again and again as necessary. Starting from today, my plan is to do that going forward to see if that makes a difference.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 10-08-2018 at 07:48 PM..

Old 10-08-2018, 08:01 PM

I was a software/firmware engineer when Win2k became the new standard. (Actually I started at WinNT 5.1 at work.) Win2k became the epitome of the user convenience from earlier consumer Windows and the hardened workstation environment of NT. I agree that XP was 'prettified' to make people think it was an improvement, and the GA stuff. (Dunno if I can really blame them for protecting from piracy.) I've used Classic Start Menu to make my Win7 Home look a lot like Win2k.

Good luck on avoiding the updates. It's too bad we can't figure how to add Pro's plugin for managing updates and then we could just shut it off permanently. Meanwhile I'm stuck with two hockey pucks, with WiFi, HDMI, etc. Wow, smart hockey pucks.

I wish we could simply not accept MSFT feature additions. I have no quarrel with security updates. And with my hockey pucks I can't just put in a bigger C: drive. At least they were only $150 each.

My ultimate plan is that I have to get on my knees and bow to MSFT and get something with Win10 Pro. (I tried to figure out an Apple iMac once, had to return it to the store for a refund. Me, a software engineer! )

Old 10-09-2018, 01:36 PM

I just loaded updates today. The same things as usual. The update said 1803, not the bad one.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I just loaded updates today. The same things as usual. The update said 1803, not the bad one.
Yeah, the 1809 rollout has been paused due to reported problems. So I guess you got minor updates to 1803.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/10/06/mi...-1809-rollout/

Interestingly, my Windows Update setting remains disabled today. I'm going to check it every day (if my memory doesn't fail me) to see if/when it changes.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:17 PM

Which windows version do you have, home or professional?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or