U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 12:04 AM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,251 posts, read 1,722,436 times

Advertisements

I do a lot of copy/paste work in MS Word. I've noticed lately that my mouse is lagging and freezing up a little bit. If it lags and I happen to have clicked at that exact moment, it will hold that click and drag text to the new location (as opposed to copying the bit I've highlighted). I figured it was just me, maybe time for a new M325, but my son complained about the same thing out of the blue last night, and he has this uber-expensive gamer's monstrosity mouse.

I'm thinking it's a driver conflict as a result of one of the last updates. Anyone else experiencing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 12:48 AM

1,293 posts, read 452,537 times
Yeah, sometimes. Usually I just flip it over and blow the dust and crap off the optics, and problem solved. Sometimes if the buttons stick I'll take it apart and blow the other dust and crap out of the insides with TF gas.

Try cleaning the mouse inside and out. $2 at most halfway-decent drugstores. Shouldn't be any need to spend money on new hardware.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:07 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Just checked the date on my mouse driver. Yea, they don't get updated very often. Mine is "HID COMPLIANT" dated: 2006.
I don't think your issue is driver related.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:09 AM

2,161 posts, read 2,238,056 times
Are they wireless mice? Windows 10?

Old 10-11-2018, 09:24 AM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,251 posts, read 1,722,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Are they wireless mice? Windows 10?
Yes.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:56 AM

850 posts, read 297,722 times
Mine was doing the same thing recently. Driving me nuts. I was beginning to think I had a virus, as itw as doing all sorts of strange things.

It was a wireless mouse. I pulled out an old wired USB mouse and plugged it in. Problem completely gone - I need to go buy a new wireless mouse now.

Try another mouse and see if that works.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:26 AM

34,328 posts, read 59,678,857 times
New batteries, perhaps?

Mine usually drag and freeze as a prelude to just quitting. New batter is the fix for me in these circumstances.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:39 PM

2,161 posts, read 2,238,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
It was a wireless mouse. I pulled out an old wired USB mouse and plugged it in. Problem completely gone - I need to go buy a new wireless mouse now.

Try another mouse and see if that works.
Wireless mice and Windows 10 don't always play nice, and this problem is well documented on the Internet. I've had a ton of problems with them at work as well, and we even tested a Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse combo that gave us grief. If you Google the issue, you'll find more information than you can read. There are a ton of possible fixes from updating a driver to registry hacks, but some of these fixes are not for the computer novice.

I'm at the point where I'd suggest that the average user stays away from wireless mice. If you find one that works well, keep it.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:15 PM

2,762 posts, read 2,701,930 times
I've used Logitech wireless mice on my computers for a very long time. One recently died after about 8-9 years. They get a little wonky when the battery starts to die. You can download the Logitech program for your mouse and it will check the battery (as well as change settings on your mouse).

Old 10-12-2018, 12:51 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Wireless mice and Windows 10 don't always play nice, and this problem is well documented on the Internet. I've had a ton of problems with them at work as well, and we even tested a Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse combo that gave us grief. If you Google the issue, you'll find more information than you can read. There are a ton of possible fixes from updating a driver to registry hacks, but some of these fixes are not for the computer novice.

I'm at the point where I'd suggest that the average user stays away from wireless mice. If you find one that works well, keep it.

Multiple wireless mice including a Microsoft keyboard/mouse combo with zero problems in W10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or