U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2018, 08:24 PM

10,960 posts, read 15,255,781 times

Advertisements

Many years ago we had a VCR to DVD recorder. Since it has been so long ago surely there is a simple way to hook a VCR to a computer or other device to get the contents of the tape onto the computer.

Anyone?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 03:04 PM

2,297 posts, read 3,491,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Many years ago we had a VCR to DVD recorder. Since it has been so long ago surely there is a simple way to hook a VCR to a computer or other device to get the contents of the tape onto the computer.
Nope, I've not heard of anything anywhere near as convenient, or cheap. I had a huge VHS collection that I "ripped" over to DVDs, and used a Toshiba DVR620KU VHS/DVD combo unit.

It's actually getting to be a pretty rare need, like listening to an audio cassette or using a computer 5-1/4" disk. VHS are getting rare enough that this is starting to be a niche function, even more than it was when DVDs first came out.

Perhaps put in a Services Wanted article in Craig's List for someone to do it with their home machine, rather than pay something like $20/ea at a video service.

I strongly suggest you don't hesitate too much longer as it will only get harder and costlier.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:35 PM

8,717 posts, read 3,454,502 times
There are boxes that capture composite video and audio and turn it to a digital signal. I have a professional one made by AVDC; as it's obsolete in a couple of ways you might be able to find one cheap on eBay. (AVDC-300).

There were also some very low-end consumer ones - Dazzle? - that were sold for about $50 in stores. As VHS is mind-boggling low res by modern standards, one of those found used would certainly do the job for you. It's simply not a demanding task or one that needs the newest and bestest.

There was also a generation of video cards that had input/capture capabilities. I think they are long gone as a class and not made for modern platforms, but you might be able to scare up an old PC that works perfectly well for the job. (Then move the files to a modern system.)

Also check with your library. Many have "tech rooms" that have things like a VHS to DVD conversion stack.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:36 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,205,832 times
I digitized our VHS tapes with by hooking up the VCR outputs to the video/audio inputs of my PC's video capture card.

You can do the same with an external USB video capture device like this one or something similar

https://www.amazon.com/Top-Longer-US...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Old 10-13-2018, 09:50 PM

14,119 posts, read 10,130,912 times
If your VCR has video out and stereo audio, you could use an old TV tuner card to convert to a digital file.
Most of the newer tuner cards don't come with AV inputs.
But if you look for the older NTSC compatible cards, you may have a problem with finding a motherboard that fits their standard.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:42 AM

53 posts, read 302,096 times
I use this;

Diamond VC500 USB 2.0 One Touch VHS to DVD Video Capture Device

Costs between $30-40 and is really simple to use.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:34 AM

2,182 posts, read 738,347 times
There’s a retail merchant in our town who has a business doing that type stuff, all types of analog to digital conversion, tapes to digital, etc.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:30 AM

40,290 posts, read 41,836,137 times
There is a variety of ways to do this. A DVD recorder is the easiest and most convenient. Be sure to research the quality of the encoder it uses, DVD encoders are not equal. Also be sure to use at least 8000Kbps or higher bitrate. VHS is noisy and combined with jerky handheld footage it's a task to get a good encoding.

Another alternative is if you have a DV camcorder or know someone that does. Check the specs to see if it has what is often refrrred to as "passthru". If it has that feature you can hook the VHS deck to the DV camcorder. The camcorder will convert to DV format stream which can be directly copied to your computer as a DV file over firewire.

There is of course various boxes and PCI cards, the ADVC mentioned above is about the same thing as using the camcorder. Another popular box is made by Canopus, also similar to camcorder/ADVC.

Before dropping any money on a card or box carefully research the product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers