U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 02:39 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,362,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I had made my FB account Private so that unless you were a friend, you couldn't see my photo's or posts.

Today I checked it, and ANYONE can see what I've posted. I don't see a way to change it back.

I also used to be able to use the "View As" feature but I see that has been disabled.

Does anyone know what is going on?

I've tried reaching out to FB but their Report a concern email is down.

As I told you in your other post asking the same question, Facebook has temporarily disabled the "view as" feature because of the recent hack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 10:48 PM

14,525 posts, read 15,751,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Facebook and Privacy do not belong in the same sentence.
And yet, voilà! (there it is)

I quit several months ago when I discovered that FB was indexing all photos across all members. If they find your picture in somebody else's page they tag it with your name. There is an option to opt out but you are default opted in.

FB changes their privacy issues more often than a French restaurant changes their soup du jour.

My belief is that FB is building up a huge facial image recognition database (think Google, but for facial pictures) and I believe they will start selling (monetizing) the database to everybody from retailers who want to know what you look at in their stores, for throw in the cart and bypass checkout direct to your car (Amazon has a version of this without FR), to law enforcement, to anybody who wants to purchase access to a database of everybody's pictures. Think of all the TV cameras in every city. I have one directed at my front street. (Is Amazon able to view through my camera? IDK)

The best fix for FB is to delete all your pictures, delete all your content, change your last name (or both) and then deactivate your account. (Even better, go get a junk free email account and change your FB email address as the first step.)

Or just be their cash cow and lose your privacy forever. What do you need privacy for anyway? Doing something illegal? Don't care if complete strangers can snoop your business.

The only fix for FB is to not be on it.

Or if you are totally addicted, have a stripped account with no content. That way you can have their cookie and be able to read FB pages if you want. (If you are not a member you cannot see FB pages. It's really stupid to require membership to be able to see FB pages.)

Old 11-07-2018, 09:06 AM

3,988 posts, read 2,623,523 times
^^ Recent 2-part program on "Frontline" (PBS) all about FB. I assumed a lot of it was happening already, the show just confirmed it. I only use FB through a browser on my desktop, visit every now and then and rarely click on anything. I removed all of my personal information such as hometown, birthday etc years ago. The groups I belong to are benign, mainly about history and special interests of mine. Ever since I started seeing ads a couple of years ago I knew something changed and they were then in the marketing business and rest assured they do sell your data.

For anyone that can catch the show, I would recommend it. Here it is.

The Facebook Dilemma - PBS
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/f...ebook-dilemma/

Old 11-07-2018, 09:27 AM

14,525 posts, read 15,751,060 times
You're smart too gguerra. I've seen your posts elsewhere and I recall you make good posts.

The only way FB can be fixed is by having a neutered account and never post anything, just use it to be able to see others' FB pages and commercial FB sites.

I'm sorry FB, your security looks like it's run by teenagers. You know, 10th grade science projects?

My only reason FB can continue in operation is because of a non-techie unsophisticated user base.

I have been considering reinstating my FB account and leaving it neutered. It's annoying I can't see FB pages.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:48 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,905 posts, read 33,646,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
Today I checked it, and ANYONE can see what I've posted. I don't see a way to change it back.
How did you "check" it? The best way is logged out, in an anonymous browser tab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or