Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 09:14 AM

867 posts, read 1,587,472 times

Advertisements

I had made my FB account Private so that unless you were a friend, you couldn't see my photo's or posts.

Today I checked it, and ANYONE can see what I've posted. I don't see a way to change it back.

I also used to be able to use the "View As" feature but I see that has been disabled.

Does anyone know what is going on?

I've tried reaching out to FB but their Report a concern email is down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 04:07 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
I don't use any social sites like FB so I couldn't give you the detailed info you are looking for.
I am sure someone will chime in but do not expect much of a security/privacy on social web site.
It was never FB's strong suit, even if they really cared about it.

If you think about it, by nature, you will realize, online, you cannot be private and social at the same time!
There is clearly a contradiction between the two concepts.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:51 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,138,851 times
Every other day there is some kind of privacy issue with FB. I deactivated my account a long time ago and don't miss it. I got so tired of it anyway. It's just the same old people complaining about politics or posting pictures about how much in love they are with their wife. I have found that I am happier by *not* being connected that way. My friend had a good way of describing FB..."it's all just clutter".

Old 10-28-2018, 11:48 PM

6 posts, read 2,619 times
FB is getting stupid day by day.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:58 PM

61,637 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I don't use any social sites like FB so I couldn't give you the detailed info you are looking for.
I am sure someone will chime in but do not expect much of a security/privacy on social web site.
It was never FB's strong suit, even if they really cared about it.

If you think about it, by nature, you will realize, online, you cannot be private and social at the same time!
There is clearly a contradiction between the two concepts.
This ^^^^^

Old 10-29-2018, 06:16 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
I only use Facebook for Messenger. Easy way to call people I don't have anyone's phone number anymore.

If you don't want people to see what you're posting better off using a messaging app or maybe Tumblr or something where you don't have to use your real name. Anyone that has a real name policy, where you can't use anything else, can't really be trusted. Real name policies are a way of tracking people.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:23 AM

8,922 posts, read 4,626,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I only use Facebook for Messenger. Easy way to call people I don't have anyone's phone number anymore.

If you don't want people to see what you're posting better off using a messaging app or maybe Tumblr or something where you don't have to use your real name. Anyone that has a real name policy, where you can't use anything else, can't really be trusted. Real name policies are a way of tracking people.
Yep. You got that right.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:00 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,333,260 times
Log into Facebook. On the line (probably blue) that has the search box go to the extrema right and click on the triangle. Go down to settings and click it. You will have a number of options to pick from on the left side of the page.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:23 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,466,637 times
Facebook and Privacy do not belong in the same sentence. Even if you decide to make your profile "private", what you do is not. Even if you do not post anything, they are tracking your clicks and likes for marketing purposes and sell that data to 3rd parties.

I personally do not post much and what I do post is benign. As far as marketing, I don't care much either, I only buy what I want or need and nothing else. I never install 3rd party apps from FB and only use it through a browser. I would never install the FB app or Messenger on my phone. Besides the privacy concerns, they drain my battery. That's just my take on it.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:24 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times
I very rarely post on FB, but, occasionally use it to check out various people from my past or other. I'm often amazed by the amount of inappropriately revealing information people post out there, particularly those still working or in public or leadership positions.

For some reason, many dump common sense when posting on social media. As someone else stated, 'Facebook' and "privacy" have no place in the same sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers