U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 06:12 PM

40,305 posts, read 41,850,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
That's not the kind of device I had in mind. That would destroy the surface of a CD/DVD.

You use low speed drill or use die grinder on low pressure. Those pads have different "cuts" and the polishing compound has different grits. You'd want a fine cut and grit and you'd be able to make them look like new. Fundmentally it's no different that the device you are listing...

Quote:
It's a CD, not sheet metal.
While you could polish metal with it the more common use is for polishing the finish on a car where larger polisher can't get to easily. You are removing material so you do need to be careful you don't polish off the clear coat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 10:03 AM

3,991 posts, read 2,627,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You use low speed drill or use die grinder on low pressure. Those pads have different "cuts" and the polishing compound has different grits. You'd want a fine cut and grit and you'd be able to make them look like new. Fundmentally it's no different that the device you are listing...

While you could polish metal with it the more common use is for polishing the finish on a car where larger polisher can't get to easily. You are removing material so you do need to be careful you don't polish off the clear coat.
Even if the surface of the pad was the same, even at low speed, that is still too fast. Different tools for a different purpose. You would be better off using your hand and some kind of polishing cloth or pad.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:29 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Agree with GG.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:54 PM

40,305 posts, read 41,850,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Even if the surface of the pad was the same, even at low speed, that is still too fast.

You spend your $20, I'll continue to use what I already have available to me in my garage for pennies. Argument solved.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:28 PM

3,991 posts, read 2,627,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You spend your $20, I'll continue to use what I already have available to me in my garage for pennies. Argument solved.
I'm not spending a single penny, so it's even less than you. I haven't used a CD or DVD in many years. My DVD and CD players are collecting dust. I do however remember dealing with scratched discs. That is why I was making suggestions to the OP which by the way, as usual, is nowhere to be found.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:17 PM

12,564 posts, read 3,218,969 times
I didn't check back because everything works fine. It's intermittent. But I have bookmarked this thread in case I need it later. Lots of great suggestions, thanks!

Besides, even if the original poster on any thread doesn't come back there are always other people who might benefit. So you never waste your time giving advice.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:31 AM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
It's still nice when the OP returns so we know we aren't wasting our time whether it helps someone 10 years from now or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or