U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 06:07 PM

240 posts, read 77,219 times

Advertisements

You can install Linux. If you're coming from Windows, you can use Zorin or Linux Mint for an easy transition. I use Ubuntu or Debian, depending on application or need. Toss in LibreOffice while you're at it and never buy Microsoft again.

I loved Windows XP, and when Microsoft moved to the ribbon interface, I permanently switched to Linux. I've never looked back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 03:01 PM

1,249 posts, read 996,205 times
What's wrong with this?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16832397771

Old 10-22-2018, 10:52 PM

2,063 posts, read 537,396 times
Why do you need to run Windows? Is there an application you must have on Windows? Switch to Ubuntu. It's free.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:01 PM

380 posts, read 1,433,570 times
I have Windows 7 for my Home Theater PC running Windows Media Center, which is phenomenal for my movies, pictures, and music. For some bizarre reason, Windows 10 no longer supports WMC.... so that one computer will never be replaced with Windows 10. I still get Win 7 updates, etc., but they are not nearly as annoying and frequent as those for Win 10. And having to deal with unplugging all the "helpful" crap - like Cortana and whatever is a PITA.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:02 PM

I have Window 7 OEM disk but it was invalidated by Win 10. I can crack it if I wanted to. My other PC has Kubuntu installed and it's damn good OS. It has tons of software that you can download and it even have an icon for you to click on.

There's a lot you can do with it but no Windows apps are supported. Hell, you don't really need em.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:31 AM

11,821 posts, read 13,961,605 times
How was your Win7 disk invalidated... by Win 10? That makes zero sense.

Quote:
I have Windows 7 for my Home Theater PC running Windows Media Center, which is phenomenal for my movies, pictures, and music. For some bizarre reason, Windows 10 no longer supports WMC....
Yea, I don't get why they cut support for that. It was pretty good.
Luckily there are better alternatives out there.

https://www.plex.tv/

https://emby.media/

https://www.team-mediaportal.com/

Old 10-23-2018, 10:29 AM

I upgraded from my W7 to W10 so the serial no is registered as W10. From now on my W7 is no good.

As I said, I can crack it so it can be validated.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:44 AM

177 posts, read 64,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
How was your Win7 disk invalidated... by Win 10? That makes zero sense.

Yea, I don't get why they cut support for that. It was pretty good.
Luckily there are better alternatives out there.

https://www.plex.tv/

https://emby.media/

https://www.team-mediaportal.com/
Anyone compare these in a review? ... On the surface, all would appear to be a good replacement for WMC.
I am leaning toward MediaPortal because it is open source??

Old 10-24-2018, 10:53 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2dathird View Post
Anyone compare these in a review? ... On the surface, all would appear to be a good replacement for WMC.
I am leaning toward MediaPortal because it is open source??
We no longer watch or record OTA TV, but if I was going to again I'd probably go with Plex.

We've run Plex as the backbone of our home media server for 6 or 7 years, and it's been very stable and generally problem free. We run Plex Server on the HTPC serving media to Roku boxes on the TV's, in the browser on my tower, and serving media out of the house to our phones and tablets when we're away.

Plex for live TV also uses HDHomeRun boxes from SiliconDust, and I was very happy with their network tuners when we still had an OTA antenna.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:17 PM

10,601 posts, read 4,932,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Any software can be affected by exploits. Just as one example there was exploit in XP where you merely needed open connection to the internet.... Like it or not you are opening yourself to having your computer hacked if you are not up to date.

So what? His philosophy is sound so long as you mostly use the same apps in the same way and seldom make changes. But there are a few things to do to augment the "never upgrade" philsophy. One, when your system is up and running how you like, mirror the main drive to a backup drive. Well worth the cost. If you get exploited, wipe and restore the mirror. Two, you can ADD new software or UPDATE existing software on a selective basis but once you have done so and are happy, update the mirror. Three, run AV and malware software.

These "security vulnerabilities" are for real, however your individual odds of falling prey are very small as long as you run an AV, stay away from shady sites, and never EVER click on links or attachments in email. The vast majority of hacks involve phishing and click-baiting. Any time you get a strange popup demanding you to click a button, force shut the app or even the computer if necessary. The kind of user that would operate on his "never upgrade" philosophy are the least likely to fall prey to scams because they aren't always installing shareware they've never heard from from a .ru domain because it came up in a search for something they wanted but were too cheap to pay for a mainstream brand.

The problem with all the constant updates is it trains people to just click OK and install something new whenever prompted to. It is important to be sure the "cure" of constant updates is not greater than the "disease" of being hacked. I'll bet more people get their files and system corrupted from updates than viruses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or