U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 09:35 AM

14,525 posts, read 15,747,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Windows 7 is McDonald's.
Windows 7 was the last reasonable OS once you tweak its annoying habits. Windows 10 is eating out of a garbage can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 09:43 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,259,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Windows 7 was the last reasonable OS once you tweak its annoying habits. Windows 10 is eating out of a garbage can.
Reasonable is subjective and opinionated.

Not sure why you're having issues with Windows 10.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:58 AM

I just think Windows 10 is fugly. Classic menu may help that. My laptop is near EOL and I'll be on 10 Pro in the next few months, maybe as soon as 1-2 weeks. I have no other choice.

I did see some nice laptops yesterday: MSFT Surface Book 2 (very expensive), a Dell, and two HPs. I'm researching this weekend, then going back for a second take.

There's no alternative unless you like Apple. (I can't use Apple PCs. Must be brain rot caused from using Windows.)

I would gladly pay extra for a supported Win2k/WinXP type experience. Yeah I'd pay a yearly rent charge to have an interface I like.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I just think Windows 10 is fugly. Classic menu may help that. My laptop is near EOL and I'll be on 10 Pro in the next few months, maybe as soon as 1-2 weeks. I have no other choice.

I did see some nice laptops yesterday: MSFT Surface Book 2 (very expensive), a Dell, and two HPs. I'm researching this weekend, then going back for a second take.

There's no alternative unless you like Apple. (I can't use Apple PCs. Must be brain rot caused from using Windows.)

I would gladly pay extra for a supported Win2k/WinXP type experience. Yeah I'd pay a yearly rent charge to have an interface I like.
I could never get with Mac OS as far as how you use the mouse. Really confusing at first.

You don't like Linux? They're straight Windows XP UI over there.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I could never get with Mac OS as far as how you use the mouse. Really confusing at first.
In my main career I was a professional software developer (and also firmware and hardware), bought an iMac mini and just could not get my head into it.

Quote:
You don't like Linux? They're straight Windows XP UI over there.
I never found a desktop I like: Gnome, Xfce, etc. I'm running Debian Jessie on my dedicated server. I used to have a Debian desktop until it died of old age.

Linux is perfect for my dedicated server. I just use ssh for command line and WinSCP for files. I don't really need a desktop (UI) on my dedicated server but one would be handy.

Which Linux UI do you like?

Old 11-10-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
In my main career I was a professional software developer (and also firmware and hardware), bought an iMac mini and just could not get my head into it.

I never found a desktop I like: Gnome, Xfce, etc. I'm running Debian Jessie on my dedicated server. I used to have a Debian desktop until it died of old age.

Linux is perfect for my dedicated server. I just use ssh for command line and WinSCP for files. I don't really need a desktop (UI) on my dedicated server but one would be handy.

Which Linux UI do you like?
I don't mind xfce. There's a weird distribution I used that only works off of a CD. You can install it to a hard drive but it isn't designed for you to do so. It's a German distribution you probably heard of it. Doubt anyone uses it anyone since no one boots of a CD anymore.

Ok I looked it up it's called Knoppix. Real old school.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:44 PM

1,249 posts, read 996,923 times
Quote:

LOL, I have that old CD somewhere.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I don't mind xfce. There's a weird distribution I used that only works off of a CD. You can install it to a hard drive but it isn't designed for you to do so. It's a German distribution you probably heard of it. Doubt anyone uses it anyone since no one boots of a CD anymore.

Actually I wanted to use it on my server (running Debian Jessie). My dedicated server is in Europe. It is capable of emulating a graphics card and then I use X-windows or something like that, forgot the name. My last desktop at home died couple years ago. I was running Jessie on that too. All of of my NAS servers (5) also run one of the Debians, I forgot which version.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:03 PM

1,249 posts, read 996,923 times
There's a site called livecdlist.com. Most fits on DVDs and can be run off.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:03 PM

2,213 posts, read 753,692 times
IIRC, Windows XP is the Holy Grail of interfaces. Why? Because it was just Windows 95/98... updated.

Windows 7 was also very very good.

Windows 8 I can't even.

Windows 10... Tell me how to turn off Cortina and I can use it like Windows 7 so I am ok with it. My computer came with Windows 10 installed.

There are also 3rd party skins you can use to make it look like Win7 but with my new computer, I will just get used to Win10. Unless there is a "make it look like" tab I don't know about ?

Should make a thread, "Win10 isn't that bad..."

Fun fact. One prediction made in the late 90s/2000s is still true: Wintel PCs rule the roost. No more Cyrix processors, and AMD still not as valued as Intel. This is still true to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or