U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 08:08 PM

1,249 posts, read 996,205 times

Advertisements

Windows 10 is quite good. You just need to spend a little time going through the settings and customize em once.

Right click on the windows icon in the lower left corner and say settings. Walk through it.

By the way, say you are on metered connection and they'll stay off of it. Be sure to check Windows Update once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 08:08 PM

2,213 posts, read 752,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I just think Windows 10 is fugly. Classic menu may help that. My laptop is near EOL and I'll be on 10 Pro in the next few months, maybe as soon as 1-2 weeks. I have no other choice.

I did see some nice laptops yesterday: MSFT Surface Book 2 (very expensive), a Dell, and two HPs. I'm researching this weekend, then going back for a second take.

There's no alternative unless you like Apple. (I can't use Apple PCs. Must be brain rot caused from using Windows.)

I would gladly pay extra for a supported Win2k/WinXP type experience. Yeah I'd pay a yearly rent charge to have an interface I like.

Want to see what I picked up? (I just needed something actual Intel, Pentium not Celeron, I forget hw many cores,)

HP 15.6" HD Realtree Xtra camo pattern Laptop Computer, Intel Quad Core Pentium N3710 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, USB 3.0, HDMI, Bluetooth, WIFI, Windows 10 Home (Certified Refurbished)-- Sure looks new to me. $250.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 11-10-2018, 08:14 PM

1,249 posts, read 996,205 times
Currently available now. You got lucky.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
Currently available now. You got lucky.

That is because I got the last one.

I decided a long time ago.. No more going to Best Buy or Walmart to pay $300-up for what I can get with a careful search on Amazon.

I do agree, I think I made out very good. "Last One Creamer1" yep that's me. And I am lucky it stuck around for a few days, while I got the money together.

Glad you like my unit!
Quote:
Intel Quad Core Pentium N3710 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM,
Quad core. Nice. That's why I wanted it.. the "Real Tree" i think is "OK." But. Quad-Core Intel, for $250? Sign me up, please.

No idea what "Gen" that is. I know it went from Pentium, to Pentium Core, to Pentium D, to one of the Celerons is actually really a Pentium, to.. whatever I have.. to.. whatever they have now.. again, calling it Pentium. (i3? i5? i7? I hope mine is the most like an i5 or i7 somewhat) -- Dated info, it's been years, folks.

Now. The "Classic" mode in Win10. I think that is for me. And turning Cortina OFF

Last edited by Creamer1; 11-10-2018 at 08:33 PM..

Old 11-10-2018, 08:43 PM

14,525 posts, read 15,740,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Want to see what I picked up? (I just needed something actual Intel, Pentium not Celeron, I forget hw many cores,)

HP 15.6" HD Realtree Xtra camo pattern Laptop Computer, Intel Quad Core Pentium N3710 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, USB 3.0, HDMI, Bluetooth, WIFI, Windows 10 Home (Certified Refurbished)-- Sure looks new to me. $250.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Oh, man, that's just beautiful!!! I'm sorry I can't rep you, evidently I already repped you to the max.

I just bought a camo BDU shirt and cap yesterday. I'd just cream to have that computer. I mean 'scream.'

I've found a new sartorial love: military grade clothing!

Just guessing it has an i7 core (4 multi-threading CPU cores). Everything on the market has i7 core.

EtA:

I'd add some extra RAM to that package. Usually user installable. Also buy the Win 10 Pro version: $200. It comes on a stick and you can install it yourself.

Eta 2:

I test drive in the store at Best Buy then order it via Amazon. Can't beat the 5% discount if you use your Amazon Prime Visa card.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Oh, man, that's just beautiful!!! I'm sorry I can't rep you, evidently I already repped you to the max.

I just bought a camo BDU shirt and cap yesterday. I'd just cream to have that computer. I mean 'scream.'

I've found a new sartorial love: military grade clothing!

Just guessing it has an i7 core (4 multi-threading CPU cores). Everything on the market has i7 core.

EtA:

I'd add some extra RAM to that package. Usually user installable. Also buy the Win 10 Pro version: $200. It comes on a stick and you can install it yourself.

Eta 2:

I test drive in the store at Best Buy then order it via Amazon. Can't beat the 5% discount if you use your Amazon Prime Visa card.
I might be able to part with it! (*this post is made from it)

Oh, and.. About Win7: Looky what I am doing https://www.intowindows.com/download...or-windows-10/

^^ Also: https://www.deviantart.com/win7tbar/...s-10-692706139

^^^^^^^^^^^^ https://8gadgetpack.net/

Old 11-19-2018, 01:47 PM

11,822 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
Um...no.
She did NOT get an i7 for $250. Everything is NOT an i7 these days.

Intel chips
Lowest of the low: Atom
Next: Celeron
Next: is the low end Pentium. Yes, these may have 4 cores but they have much lower clock speeds, cache and other things that makes them much cheaper to sell. There are not bad entry level processors.
Then you have the i's.
i3, i5, i7.
The i3 dual core processor is faster then a 4 core Pentium by a bit.

This is old but still fits.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...ed-cpu-lineup/

Old 11-20-2018, 10:35 AM

14,525 posts, read 15,740,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
She did NOT get an i7 for $250. Everything is NOT an i7 these days.
Sorry. I meant everything worth getting has a i7 core.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:52 PM

11,822 posts, read 13,961,605 times
All the i's are good.
i3 is good for normal (non gamers) folks.
i5 good for most gamers.
i7 must have for high end gamers.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:10 PM

2,989 posts, read 1,036,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
All the i's are good.
i3 is good for normal (non gamers) folks.
i5 good for most gamers.
i7 must have for high end gamers.
I don't know. My wife has a dual core (according
to task manager) i3 and it chokes when opening
weatherunderground maps.
(Mostly the page trying to open a series of ads.)

I think the days of the i3 are about gone.

I have four core (according to process explorer) i5 and
based on observed cpu usage, am thinking the next
computer needs about 3 times the processing power.
(I get by now, but thinking 6 years into the future.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or