U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 11:36 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 776,444 times

Advertisements

I hate my Windows 10 and was looking to delete it and change it to Widows 7 like I have on an old laptop. They want a fortune for Windows 7 on eBay. I thought they would be $50 for an ancient version like that.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...tware&_sacat=0

A recent Windows 10 update had a glitch in it that would delete your photos off your computer.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...r-2018-update/

I don't want MS to help get my photos back that they just deleted by accident. I just want them to leave me alone. Jeeeesus how I hate those forced Windows 10 updates as well as Microsoft. I decided to just unplug the desktop from the internet that runs on Windows 10 and will use my Widows 7 laptop for the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 01:14 PM

11,853 posts, read 13,978,818 times
The problem with deleting files was a) only caused when the user initiated the update by checking for updates and b) has been fixed.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:35 PM

2,992 posts, read 1,039,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
.... I decided to just unplug the desktop from the internet that runs on Windows 10 and will use my Widows 7 laptop for the internet.
If I could run Win 7 and never have to update or upgrade anything for the rest of my life, I would be happy as a tick on a dog.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:44 AM

1,095 posts, read 832,323 times
Legitimate programs are expensive. I bought a Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate off of eBay some years ago. I still use Windows XP x64, but I wanted the program in case I decided to upgrade in the future. I also bought a copy of Microsoft Office Professional 2010 for the same reason.

There are lots of cheap Microsoft programs on eBay of dubious legality. It's a real hassle sorting through the listings trying to find programs that you are confident are legal copies.

I avoid OEM programs that are tied to a specific motherboard, and programs that are marked "Not for Retail Sale".

Old 10-17-2018, 07:45 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,583,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
I hate my Windows 10 and was looking to delete it and change it to Widows 7 like I have on an old laptop. They want a fortune for Windows 7 on eBay. I thought they would be $50 for an ancient version like that.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...tware&_sacat=0

A recent Windows 10 update had a glitch in it that would delete your photos off your computer.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...r-2018-update/

I don't want MS to help get my photos back that they just deleted by accident. I just want them to leave me alone. Jeeeesus how I hate those forced Windows 10 updates as well as Microsoft. I decided to just unplug the desktop from the internet that runs on Windows 10 and will use my Widows 7 laptop for the internet.

If you still have a valid Windows 7 product key (check the bottom of your old laptop, or under the battery), you can download Windows 7 directly from Microsoft for FREE. I have a copy on a bootable pendrive for reloading. It's a good idea to have one laying around.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7

https://www.lifewire.com/where-to-do...dows-7-2626268

Old 10-17-2018, 07:46 AM

6,184 posts, read 2,797,205 times
Many years ago my computer-weenie colleague told me the strategy I still use today.

1) Buy the hottest box you can possibly afford.
2) right then, equip it with all the software you want, while the software that is exactly compatible with the new box is available and doesn't require any fiddling.
3) Leave it the heck along, no updates of any sort, never, until you replace the whole kit and caboodle.

This obsession with constant updates is what causes consumer grade HW and SW to go belly-up. My work machine is subject to constant updates, and it malfunctions constantly (I have no control over this, it's set by Corporate). My home machine never gets upgraded till I toss it and buy a whole new rig, and it never malfunctions.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:03 AM

2,299 posts, read 3,493,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
If I could run Win 7 and never have to update or upgrade anything for the rest of my life, I would be happy as a tick on a dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
... <snip> 3) Leave it the heck along, no updates of any sort, never, until you replace the whole kit and caboodle.
I feel your pain! But the philosophy of never upgrading and/or updating overlooks some harsh realities of life.

Software is never, ever, not-once sold as 100% perfect and 100% safe. Some of the updates are actually necessary, to close loopholes and security vulnerabilities that weren't known when your version was issued.

Also, upgrades often sound like trying to always be The Best, but are sometimes necessary due to the fact that the application programs we use also evolve. And nearly always get bigger (and sometimes even do get better). So trying to run the New & Improved MS Office will slow down your old XP, vs a later OS.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:34 PM

2,992 posts, read 1,039,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I feel your pain! But the philosophy of never upgrading and/or updating overlooks some harsh realities of life.

Software is never, ever, not-once sold as 100% perfect and 100% safe. Some of the updates are actually necessary, to close loopholes and security vulnerabilities that weren't known when your version was issued.
This I agree with. I said I would be happy if I never had to upgrade, I never said upgrading wasn't necessary. I know all about the security flaws (and some other errors) that come out in each new release.

Quote:
Also, upgrades often sound like trying to always be The Best, but are sometimes necessary due to the fact that the application programs we use also evolve. And nearly always get bigger (and sometimes even do get better). So trying to run the New & Improved MS Office will slow down your old XP, vs a later OS.
OTOH, much of the time, upgrades on things like "Office" are simply a way to get you to purchase a new copy. (Programmers got to make a living too.)

I have been involved with computers since the late 70's and saw vast improvements in the 80's and 90's followed by minor improvements since Y2K, and now we are mostly making things different, not better.

Kinda like cars got faster until the 60's, then they got more efficient, and now they are just getting more complicated. I really don't need my car to tell me where to go, order a pizza for me or send a copy of my resume to a nigerian princess. These things are not improvements.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:35 PM

6,184 posts, read 2,797,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post

So don't try to run the new and improved SW on your old machine. Like I said, get it set up, then keep your hands off it till it's time to toss it and buy a new one.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:01 PM

40,305 posts, read 41,850,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
So don't try to run the new and improved SW on your old machine. Like I said, get it set up, then keep your hands off it till it's time to toss it and buy a new one.

Any software can be affected by exploits. Just as one example there was exploit in XP where you merely needed open connection to the internet.... Like it or not you are opening yourself to having your computer hacked if you are not up to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or