U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2018, 07:51 PM

6,108 posts, read 2,394,139 times

Advertisements

I am designing a website in Wix. Everything is groovy, except I am having a hard time moving and resizing boxes. I know this is an "easy" thing to do, but the dots on the top, bottom, and sides, do not stretch. The tool that is indicated that DOES stretch, on the top, doesn't really do anything. I don't know what that weird symbol is that appears on the dots . . .

Help: How do you easily resize boxes?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 10:33 PM

11,434 posts, read 18,012,347 times
Bet you can find some YouTube videos on this. I’ve had the same problem with a square space site I manage.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:12 PM

Yes. I have checked out some YouTube vids, but haven't found one yet that explains the basics for resizing boxes.

It LOOKS like the box can be resized with the dots and the stretchy thing and those weird signs that cover the boxes, BUT it is not just a matter of grabbing the dots and pulling up or down. Can't figure it out.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:18 AM

40,869 posts, read 42,278,559 times
I'm not familiar with this but you might want to try holding the shift or alt key and then grabbing the dot with the mouse. You may also have to click on the box first to activate it.

Word of warning, Wix and these other sitemakers make it easy to build a site but it can be very difficult to move to your own hosting.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm not familiar with this but you might want to try holding the shift or alt key and then grabbing the dot with the mouse. You may also have to click on the box first to activate it.

Word of warning, Wix and these other sitemakers make it easy to build a site but it can be very difficult to move to your own hosting.
Thanks. I will try that tip. I know it is something easy like that.

Wix has improved in the last few months. You can access code. Not sure about moving to your own hosting. I think it is possible, but haven't focused on that.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Wix has improved in the last few months. You can access code.

That's not the problem, the templates and whatever are copyrighted by them and if my experience with other hosts like this is any indication they make it difficult to get content out. For example do you have FTP access to the files you upload? One of the issues I ran into with one of these service is a client had uploaded hundreds of photos and they did not have copies. With FTP which is available on any regular hosting package it's couple of clicks and you can download everything... with that service each image had to be clicked on the control panel and then manually saved with right click. What should take minutes took hours. You can avoid something like this by keeping copies of the images. Just add that works the other way, if you need to upload a folder of files it's just a couple clicks.

The pages themselves since the templates are copyrighted cannot be displayed elsewhere as is and would have to be recreated. If you are only creating a few pages not a big deal, if your site grows over time to many pages this can be big PITA in the future if you decide to move it. Another issue is companies like this have closed up shop overnight leaving their customers high and dry. That can happen with normal hosting but you should have full backup and be able to quickly reestablish it, that's not going to happen with this service and you could be left starting from scratch.

If you get your own hosting which cost about $5 a month you could install something like Drupal. This has much steeper learning curve and more work but has huge benefits over a service like Wix. It's easy enough for the beginner to use if they put some time into it but scalable for professionals. First and foremost if you want to move the site everything belongs to you and it's simply a matter of transferring the files and database to the new host.

If you want some further instruction on getting started with Drupal let me know.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:03 PM

11,434 posts, read 18,012,347 times
You'll never be able to move that site, that's counter to the Squarespace/Wix business model. Sizing containers with no access to code is one of the most frustrating things for me in Squarespace (another is how they resize all of my photographs and give me no file manager). Something that should take me seconds can take a long time. I could turn on Developer mode, but I have multiple reasons I don't think it's a good idea for the legacy SS site I work on as there is no going back. I would NEVER choose to build a site on either of these platforms, but they have their place for people who want to build simple sites and learn no coding.

If you're a novice, I'd recommend Wordpress over Drupal if you decide to rebuild the site on your own hosting plan.

And seriously... there have to be many videos of people resizing Wix containers or images. I found the videos of other people using Squarespace were often more helpful than reading the help documents.

I assume you've read the Wix help, which does state that you have to click the shape before resizing.
https://support.wix.com/en/article/resizing-your-shape

Old 10-18-2018, 10:29 AM

Yes, I have seen the vids with people resizing things with a click. If that worked for me, I would not have posted anything (obviously).

In the past I have developed my own simple websites using basic HTML - and hosted independently. I have also used wordpress.org - NOW, wordpress.org has become super-sophisticated and less intuitive and I do not want to waste time when I thought I could be up and running quickly on Wix. The reason I chose Wix is because the web site is basically just a marketing piece of my master plan which is more focused on YouTube.

I don't care about being able to move content - because I hope to not have too much content. I am going to blog, though and might host that elsewhere and link to Wix. Probably would be smarter than using Wix.

Anyway, I don't have much technical expertise these days or time - so was really hoping for quick answers.

I find it bizarre that there is no Wix for Dummies book - the one book is for programmers.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Yes, I have seen the vids with people resizing things with a click. If that worked for me, I would not have posted anything (obviously).

Might be incompatibility with your browser, try a different one.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Might be incompatibility with your browser, try a different one.
Ok. Thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers