Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 04:24 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times

Advertisements

Here's instructions to make firefox open on Win 10 startup. Check the referenced folder to see if Firefox is set up to do so.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1085268
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 05:29 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Does Windows 10 still use the startup folder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Here's instructions to make firefox open on Win 10 startup. Check the referenced folder to see if Firefox is set up to do so.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1085268

I guess that that link answers my question. The OP should check to see if a Firefox shortcut is in that folder.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
I'll be I had a Send to Onenote shortcut in that folder.

Had.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:58 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
You are more likely to get help if you provided specifics.

Clarify: What is your Operating System? (Win10, Win7, Mac, etc).
Clarify: Does this happen only occasionally.
Clarify: Does it only happen after your computer crashes?

It's almost certainly NOT a virus or malware. They do "bad" things, not "annoying" things.
I concur. Not a virus or malware. We need answers to the questions posed above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Best guess?
If you're running windows, then if Firefox is open, and your system crashes, when you start it back up, all that were open before the crash will try to restart by themselves, including FF.
If it happens every time you boot up your Windows, then FF might be set to auto-start.
I have never seen Windows open FF all on its own. I have often seen FF open all the previous tabs and windows etc. if you power down your PC without closing FF. That is its default behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
A browser WILL open previously opened tabs if set to do that.

A Mac may but Windows 7, 10 or whatever will not UNLESS you are hibernating it as on a laptop. A regular shutdown, re-start will not do that.

As for FF starting up automatically on a Windows machine it is either "waking up" from a hibernation or it set to "Auto Start" which is entirely possible but it doesn't happen all by itself, you have to set it to do that.
Hibernating is a possibility. However OP says randomly.

As said above, check your Startup folder. On the other hand, this would work 100% of the time, not randomly.

I have a link to "notes.txt" in my startup so my reminders list pops up each time I start my computer. It's handy. I just "X" it if I don't want it. It's a good way to send a message to tomorrow's Lovehound.

I know nothing about iOS so if it's Apple and not FF then IDK.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:40 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Folks, there's something else strange going on with Firefox - new version(s). I'm running Windows 10 home with FF 63.0.3. This opening on its own thing is a real issue.

My startup folder is empty. Nevertheless, Firefox has opened spontaneously on startup on a very few random occasions over the last few weeks. Happened again this morning. No previous crash or shutdown problem.

On reflection, we don't actually know that it is a Firefox glitch....could at least as easily be a W10 update glitch. Neither software inspires the confidence I once had in them.

It's far from a major headache, but it is happening.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:28 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Firefox has gone off the deep end. I recommend Pale Moon (a fork of FF) as the good old FF without all the new junk.

http://palemoon.org

Old 11-24-2018, 03:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
I have zero problems with FF. I'm guessing the problem is overlapping from somewhere else.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:08 PM

Here we go.......

https://techdows.com/2018/08/soon-fi...r-restart.html

It's gotta be related to this change, but clearly there are 1 or more glitches (we don't know where) causing overzealous behavior at times. It is a very widely reported issue across the web.

For me, I'd say I didn't see it for maybe 2 weeks until this morning. Have seen it I'd guess 4-5 times in the last few weeks.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:14 PM

I made the suggested change in about:config so that should take care of it.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Firefox has gone off the deep end. I recommend Pale Moon (a fork of FF) as the good old FF without all the new junk.

http://palemoon.org
Thank you!

I just installed Pale Moon and already love it. I have full functionality back on craigslist - that is, being able to scan through the multiple pics on an ad from the main page without having to load the entire page for the individual ad. Just like FF was a good while back.

It appears to have full individual cookie control as well, just like FF. Something sorely lacking in Brave, last I checked.

Gotta figure out how to import my bookmarks. Barring stumbling upon unexpected problems, I'm switched!

Edit: Got the bookmarks transferred - quick and easy. Was hoping to see this as the solution for the long broken reputation function, but no joy there. Reputation with the scales still broken just like in Firefox.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 11-24-2018 at 05:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers