Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 07:25 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you're having "routine router crashes" and are having to reboot, the reboots are basically doing nothing other clearing out logs and other diagnostic information. Regular rebooting is a symptom of an underlying problem.
Agreed. Once I went the Untangle route I have NEVER had to reboot my router. Periodically it will reboot itself to do upgrades if needed, but it’s 100% solid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Never happened until I added the Alexa (3-4 years stable before), but am still investigating the situation from an IT point of view.

I haven't had a crash for two weeks now.
Check your DHCP range and if you have any static IPs assigned. I’ve had issues in the past when I had a conflict.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I doubt it and I also don't need anyone or anything "listening". As a matter of fact, I need more exercise not less.
Nobody “needs” any of this.

The things I use Alexa for most are for the time, the weather, to set an alarm, as a timer, and to drop in to another one to call my kids for dinner. In the past that would have been fulfilled by a clock, an hour glass, a look outside and an intercom or the ringing of a bell.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:34 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
I do like the Broadcast feature on my system.
Driving home I can say "Ok Google: Broadcast Son, you best have your homework done when I get home." and it will Broadcast to the 3 Google devices I have in the house.
Certainly not must have... just neat.
And Google just added the feature that people can reply to the Broadcast on any device.

Sorry, Hound: Google > Amazon
That's a topic for another thread though.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:19 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Nobody “needs” any of this.

The things I use Alexa for most are for the time, the weather, to set an alarm, as a timer, and to drop in to another one to call my kids for dinner. In the past that would have been fulfilled by a clock, an hour glass, a look outside and an intercom or the ringing of a bell.
I wasn't being literal when I said "need", I know I don't need it. It's the "listening" part that I don't like. As for the timer and weather my cell phone will suffice and I also have a weather station at my house which has a display right next to my TV. My stove has a timer as well. Echo or Alexa or whatever offer convenience but at what price? It's like google giving everything away for free, it's not really free, is it? Don't get me wrong, I like technology but some of it offers no real benefit, it's just more crap to sell you.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:19 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I do like the Broadcast feature on my system.
Driving home I can say "Ok Google: Broadcast Son, you best have your homework done when I get home." and it will Broadcast to the 3 Google devices I have in the house.
Certainly not must have... just neat.
And Google just added the feature that people can reply to the Broadcast on any device.

Sorry, Hound: Google > Amazon
That's a topic for another thread though.
No problem for me.

Alexa has a similar voice (and even video) "drop in" intercom system, which can also be set up to work with friends/relatives at different houses.

For those who are concerned, I'm pretty the keyword "Alexa" response is localized, before any streaming audio at all is sent to the mother ship. All the customers all the time, there isn't enough bandwidth for that!

Quote:
I wasn't being literal when I said "need", I know I don't need it. It's the "listening" part that I don't like. As for the timer and weather my cell phone will suffice and I also have a weather station at my house which has a display right next to my TV. My stove has a timer as well. Echo or Alexa or whatever offer convenience but at what price? It's like google giving everything away for free, it's not really free, is it? Don't get me wrong, I like technology but some of it offers no real benefit, it's just more crap to sell you.
It is all very handy when I can just say stuff no matter where I'm located in my house, and stuff happens. It's not needing to find devices.

I can order up coffee or music that way.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:20 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
We have Sonos with Alexa and use it mainly for music. Having Amazon Prime gives us access to around 1 million titles, and for the oddball stuff I listen to that Amazon doesn't have I figured out how to access the music on my server. A feature not built in to Alexa.

Using it to turn on lights? I've considered it for nights when I'd like to have them on before I get out of bed and wander around the house. I'm very good at stubbing toes and I have neuropathy. Stubbing toes is not a fun thing.

Weather? I have windows, a phone, and a weather station.

If we had children or I talked to anyone in my family? Maybe the call feature.

Mainly just music.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:35 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We have Sonos with Alexa and use it mainly for music. Having Amazon Prime gives us access to around 1 million titles, and for the oddball stuff I listen to that Amazon doesn't have I figured out how to access the music on my server. A feature not built in to Alexa.
I have that whole setup too, x3 for den, living room, and bedroom. I have a copy of my entire local music mirrored with NAS on my local network. It's great to say, "Alexa, Play Animal Canibal by Kesha on Den" and have my album playing! I can also call it up via phone/tablet/pc from my collection. I love the Music Unlimited!

Quote:
Using it to turn on lights? I've considered it for nights when I'd like to have them on before I get out of bed and wander around the house. I'm very good at stubbing toes and I have neuropathy. Stubbing toes is not a fun thing.
Rule #1 is to have at least one light in each room that the robot doesn't have. Like not giving HAL the only key to the Pod Bay Door! I have one lamp or set of lamps in each room (Living Room, Den, Bedroom) that Alexa has. It works fine 99% of the time. I have the fluorescent lights on a hobby room on the system too. I have one cute feature I've had in various forms way before Alexa, red a night light underneath my bed that lights just enough of the furniture in my bedroom that I don't need "big toe radar." It's so near the floor and such a low wattage that I could leave it on 24/7.

Quote:
Weather? I have windows, a phone, and a weather station.
With the Alexa I find it easy to ask for the weather before I open my eyes. I often also ask what time, and if the time is right "turn on coffee."

Quote:
If we had children or I talked to anyone in my family? Maybe the call feature.
I'm getting a dog.

Quote:
Mainly just music.
The skill for running Sonos is well worth adding, and allows voice control of a whole house music system like I have. This is particularly nice for techies!

Old 11-15-2018, 12:47 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
We should start another thread about this. Is OP Happy?

(Advantage Google: forget all this skill adding nonsense... it just works hehehe).

Last edited by Peregrine; 11-15-2018 at 12:59 PM..

Old 11-19-2018, 02:37 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
OP, here...haven't been able to post, because while my relative was out of town, his kids, had to reset the router and my device was bumped off all together. And they didn't know how add my device back on as one using the Wifi.

Soooo, now that he's back, I'll soon get him to add me back on. The cable provider says my device is "on pause or in 'bedtime mode" -- whatever that means.

ARRGH! I've been going to MdDonald's and the public library just to check my email! I'm on a friend's Wifi now.

Who knows, maybe the signal will be back to as strong as it was before I started getting bumped off. From my lips to God's ears!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers