U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 12:21 PM

7,212 posts, read 7,625,561 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance.
I think I need a WiFi booster/extender but don't know how they work or which kind I'd need.

I am very far away from the router.
My computer picks up WiFi signal "OK," but I'm getting knocked off too often for my liking.
I'll be typing an answer here on CD for example, or Googling a topic, and when I go to save the answer or click to open a window I'll get a pop up saying "you're not connected to the Internet" or I'll go up to my Airport fan and the signal will have been change/bumped to the printer's signal or the provider's logo.

-- I'm not tech savvy at all. But I have been looking up reviews and reading up on extenders.

-- What's the cheapest, good extender for $50 or less.
I guess I'd prefer a plug in. I assume they're the easiest to use. I need the easiest set up possible. I hope there's one that you just plug in -- it boosts the signal, and that's all there is to it.

The speed I get is fine. I just don't want to keep being bumped off-line.
I CAN live with it, if I have to. It's just frustrating to spend an hour on a job application, for example, only to go close it and find out you're not connected to the internet.

(All I have to do is drop down the network menu and click on it, and I'm back on. But sometimes it takes a minute....and as I said....that's frustrating.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 09:55 AM

Default Need Help Understanding and Choosing WiFi Extenders/Boosters

My computer is very far away from the router and my WiFi signal keeps getting knocked off too often for my liking. The speed I get is fine. I just don't want to keep being bumped off-line.

I'll be typing an answer to something or doing an online application -- only to go and close and find out the internet connection has dropped out. I can get it back but it's super frustrating.

I'm not tech savvy at all so:
-- What's the cheapest, good extender for $50 or less?
-- Preferably something I can plug in near me and keep my connection strong.

Thanks.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:03 PM

14,409 posts, read 21,124,177 times
Don't be cheap.
Just fix your problem - https://eero.com

Old 11-06-2018, 01:40 PM

4,019 posts, read 2,646,363 times
It may not be distance but another problem that is causing this. Some routers drop connections randomly and sometimes the only way to restore them is to reboot the router. If this is the problem a range extender will not help.

I need more details such as

Brand and type of router?
Size of the area you are trying to cover?
What operating system?

It may be easier to just get another router but without these details, it's difficult.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:41 PM

Guerra, I sent you a DM.

I'm hoping other people have some suggestions.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:46 PM

My computer is using a family member's WiFi. Their router is across the street in their house.

The speed I'm getting is fine -- and it's not that I'm in a "dead zone" that isn't getting the WiFi signal. I AM getting it...all the time. It's just frustrating to have the signal get bumped off. I get it back by going to the drop down menu and bringing it back.

Because I AM getting the WiFi (it just keeps getting knocked off) -- I'm hoping their is some extender I can plug in at my house to just keep the signal from getting bumped off.

I'll get "you are not connected to the internet.' So I'll refresh the page....or go up to the "airport/fan icon" -- sometimes I'll see that the signal has switched to my brother's printer. Sometimes it's switched to "xfinity" (comcast). But I see the router's network listed in the drop down, so I just click it. And the signal pops back over to where it should be.

It's just frustrating. To spend minutes on a CD answer or half-hours on a job application to find the signal switched/dropped is maddening.

Last edited by selhars; 11-06-2018 at 05:12 PM..

Old 11-06-2018, 03:59 PM

5,436 posts, read 8,815,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
My computer is using a family member's WiFi. Their router is across the street in their house.
Could it be a passing car or truck is interrupting the signal long enough to "lose" it ?

Also, can your PC's WiFi not be configured to ignore any other networks, and only look for the "family's" ?

Old 11-06-2018, 05:20 PM

I'll try any suggestions....like the ignore other networks.

We're on a cul-de-sac so not really any passing traffic. We are in the nearby airport's flight pattern, though.
But when I'm over at the other house (where the router is) I never get bumped off.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:21 PM

11,377 posts, read 17,907,207 times
I bought a cheap extender because my apple TV in the living room kept losing the connection, even though my laptop nearby was fine and the apple TV had been fine for a long time.

The extender was a waste of money, because it turned out I really needed a new router as mine was over 5 years old. The extender "worked" but it had more trouble with dropped signals than the regular router network. Of course it was too late to return it. I don't know that wireless routers are designed to work smoothly from across the street..

Old 11-06-2018, 05:49 PM

11,858 posts, read 14,004,171 times
Just stick with a Name Brand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers