Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 11:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times

Advertisements

A few days ago, my desktop Lenovo MT series, just quit working, monitor went dark, and at first I thought the power went out, but I discovered the CPU quit working, wouldnt do anything, no lights, fans, or anything would come on...of course, it had to happen when I was writing reports for work and not just surfing the internet or chatting on CD!

I took it to the shop I bought it from and they said when they tried to turn it on, there was a strong smell of 'burning circuitry', they said this just happens from time to time, capacitors bulging or leaking, etc.

I ended up buying another CPU from them yesterday, a HP/Compaq 6005 Pro, its really all the computer I need honestly.

However upon talking to the guy at the computer store, he told me its best to NEVER attempt to move a CPU while its turned on, this is something I did awhile back when I was working on my desk, I was very careful about moving it, but it was turned on at the time...do you all think this contributed to it dying?

I try to place my CPUs, so they can best dissipate heat, the Lenovo always got real hot on one side of the CPU, so I placed it on a wire shelf so the heat could dissipate, with my new HP 6005, it doesnt appear to get warm or hot anywhere, so Im not sure where I should place this, on top of my desk, on a shelf underneath, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 11:48 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
CPU and computer aren't the same thing, I can understand what you mean but just FYI. Just replace CPU with computer and it makes sense.

It's best to not move a computer when it's running. It had nothing to do with it dying. It's just a precaution in case you jar it. The only component that will have an effect on by being on is the hard drive as they're spinning. I do it, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Otherwise just don't drop it hard enough to physically break anything.

You can put it wherever you want to. The should be intake and exhaust fans although that varies from case to case. On a cheap general purpose computer that doesn't produce a lot of heats you'll generally have an exhaust fan at the rear and then likely one on the power supply also at the bottom rear. The front is usually passive air intake. Just don't obstruct it. Under the desk is situational. If it's carpet it's best not to. Most cases will intake some air from the bottom of the case which you'll obstruct. If it's hardwood or you stick a piece of wood on the carpet and put the computer on that, it's fine.

If your old case got real hot on one side, that's a very good indication that it was not getting much ventilation. The probable cause was a serious case of the dust bunnies. Every six months or so turn off the computer, unplug it, open the case, and give it a good blow out with some compressed air. If you don't have that a vacuum cleaner works for cleaning out the intake and exhaust fans but you really need the compressed air to blow the dust off the inside. Electronics don't like heat, so if it was running hot enough to make the case hot that probably contributed it burning out when it did.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:39 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Horse hockey. Wouldn't that apply to laptops, too?
Sliding a desktop around while it's on is not going to hurt it. Moving it up down left right is not going to hurt it. DROPPING it against the floor... yea that might.
While your computer is on the hard drive arms might be moving around... a HARD jolt on it might maybe possibly cause a hard drive to die. VERY unlikely if you are careful moving it.
That's the only thing you could possibly damage when moving a computer...and they don't generally smoke and burn when they die.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:32 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
CPU and computer aren't the same thing, I can understand what you mean but just FYI. Just replace CPU with computer and it makes sense.

It's best to not move a computer when it's running. It had nothing to do with it dying. It's just a precaution in case you jar it. The only component that will have an effect on by being on is the hard drive as they're spinning. I do it, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Otherwise just don't drop it hard enough to physically break anything.

You can put it wherever you want to. The should be intake and exhaust fans although that varies from case to case. On a cheap general purpose computer that doesn't produce a lot of heats you'll generally have an exhaust fan at the rear and then likely one on the power supply also at the bottom rear. The front is usually passive air intake. Just don't obstruct it. Under the desk is situational. If it's carpet it's best not to. Most cases will intake some air from the bottom of the case which you'll obstruct. If it's hardwood or you stick a piece of wood on the carpet and put the computer on that, it's fine.

If your old case got real hot on one side, that's a very good indication that it was not getting much ventilation. The probable cause was a serious case of the dust bunnies. Every six months or so turn off the computer, unplug it, open the case, and give it a good blow out with some compressed air. If you don't have that a vacuum cleaner works for cleaning out the intake and exhaust fans but you really need the compressed air to blow the dust off the inside. Electronics don't like heat, so if it was running hot enough to make the case hot that probably contributed it burning out when it did.
I think dust was the culprit too, I talked to a coworker and they apparently put some kind of filter material over their computer, kind of like a dryer sheet, thin enough to allow air flow, but keeps dust and other dirt from getting inside.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:21 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
That doesn't mean it's a good idea. I doubt it was dust.
Some times these things just happen because you get an occasional lemon.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:32 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Here is my take: Do not move electronic stuff when it has other stuff attached. It always depends on the definitions of electronic stuff and stuff. Just think about, it should be obvious to all of normal intelligence:

A desktop PC should not be moved unless power is off. It has stuff attached. Tablets at the other extreme end have nothing attached. On occasion I might move my laptop with 1-2 things (devices) attached but I try not to, just maybe from my knees to my coffee table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers