Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 08:00 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I was reading your post and going "What the heck is he talking about? It is Disk mirroring after all! Then I realized I wrote RAID-0 instead of RAID-1, which I believe these 2-drive units use as their default configuration.

Some days I am really out of it when typing here, especially if I am at work and putting in a quick post.
Typos is one thing but goofs like this is another...
lol, no worries, wasn't sure so figured I'd mention it. If you go into your management console, you should be able to view drive configuration. Some use RAID 0 for it's performance, but the trade off is that you have no redundancy. Just wanted to make sure that was clear if you were really using RAID 0.

Regarding cloud storage, as others mentioned, I'd recommend cloud storage as a backup or redundant option but not as the sole source of your data. "The Cloud" is not foolproof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 05:04 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
lol, no worries, wasn't sure so figured I'd mention it. If you go into your management console, you should be able to view drive configuration. Some use RAID 0 for it's performance, but the trade off is that you have no redundancy. Just wanted to make sure that was clear if you were really using RAID 0.

Regarding cloud storage, as others mentioned, I'd recommend cloud storage as a backup or redundant option but not as the sole source of your data. "The Cloud" is not foolproof.
I only used RAID-0 configuration with my gaming computer back in the day when I could only afford 2x Raptor drives. Them 10K RPM drives in RAID-0 mode were comparable in overall performance to even the OCZ Vertex 2 SSD I had.

I always had multiple copies of important data, but ultimately, there is really nothing I have on any drive that is irreplaceable. A few stuff like my resume or references would suck but there is always a copy that is sent from one web mail to another, when I made updates, then that email moved to "Archived" custom folder in the receiving mailbox to create a "cloud" copy.

Most any game I have are on Steam or Ubisoft, so they can be downloaded and installed again from the server.

When I moved from my last place where I lived for 7 years, I had to either give away, sell or trash majority of my belongings, including clothes. I realized two things, I horded way too much junk that I didn't even need/use, and, letting go of this "junk" was truly rejuvenating and freeing!

Dare I say the same could be said for computers and personal data?

TGIF!

Old 12-28-2018, 07:00 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Thanks for the discussion, CDers!

Decision made.
Just bought a new QNAP TS-453Be with 2GB Ram.
Ebay giving 15% discount codes this evening, so it is coming for $387.60 to my door.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/283195004113

I was starting to putz around with a couple of old Dell Optiplexes and FreeNAS, and for that money, I have better ways to spend my time.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:48 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Why? Redundancy.

I have MS OneDrive.

I also have 20,000+ photos on Flickr that i would like to download, particularly since Flickr was sold.

And, I have a few more on Zenfolio, and a ton of WordPress content that I would like to backup.
Sorry I was late responding, since you already bought it.

I wasn't referring to SaaS like OneDrive, specifically the raw file storage options that you could use with providers like AWS or Azure or Google. If you are comfortable enough configuring a NAS onsite, you will have no issues administering via a cloud portal to set it all up from scratch. Consumers of the data (including yourself) will not even know the difference.

Since you mentioned it as your first requirement, there is no way for you to match the redundancy of a large public cloud provider with a local NAS... at the end of the day, you still have a single point of failure and no true DR by hosting the data in your office - unless of course you are replicating all of it to another site outside the area... or the ugly version of dealing with magnetic tapes offsite, etc. Worst case a fire/flood and it's all gone, but then there are many nuisance scenarios that could have you getting in the car, then sitting in the office on the phone with support for the NAS hardware hoping to find a fix. All of this gets exponentially worse as the hardware degrades over time. You'll be back here in 3-5 years making another capital purchase and looking at migration plans for the data.

With a public cloud provider there are many tiers of storage available to meet any possible requirement and you will have true redundancy and DR. You can manage this down to the byte level and move the data between tiers depending on how you use it. You pay for data you retrieve, so depending on how accessible you need to make it will drive your costs.

If you're techie enough (and I think you are based on most of your posts), sign-up for a AWS/Azure/Google cloud account and check it out. AWS is probably a good place to start. You could play with a backup option to begin getting comfortable with it. Send your most critical data from the NAS to your storage. Again, not a SaaS service - administer the raw options and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how flexible it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I use both.

If you retrieve it periodically, NAS is faster and convenient.

If you are just looking for cloud archival storage, a solution like Amazon Glacier is cheap insurance at $4 a terabyte. But it’s not meant to be real-time and there are retrieval costs.
I don't see how NAS would be faster and more convenient than a S3 bucket. Unless you are in the office at LAN speeds accessing it literally next to you - but even then, you could invest in your internet connection instead of local hardware to get similar access speeds. Glacier is not intended for real-time access.

You may be surprised on a 5 year ROI comparison between maintaining your own hardware and just eliminating it all for public cloud storage - keep in mind that is difficult to quantify how valuable true redundancy and DR is to your business. You won't truly know until you lose data.

P.S. I'm not a sales guy for public cloud, I just engineer this type of stuff for a living.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:20 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Sorry I was late responding, since you already bought it.

I wasn't referring to SaaS like OneDrive, specifically the raw file storage options that you could use with providers like AWS or Azure or Google. If you are comfortable enough configuring a NAS onsite, you will have no issues administering via a cloud portal to set it all up from scratch. Consumers of the data (including yourself) will not even know the difference.

Since you mentioned it as your first requirement, there is no way for you to match the redundancy of a large public cloud provider with a local NAS... at the end of the day, you still have a single point of failure and no true DR by hosting the data in your office - unless of course you are replicating all of it to another site outside the area... or the ugly version of dealing with magnetic tapes offsite, etc. Worst case a fire/flood and it's all gone, but then there are many nuisance scenarios that could have you getting in the car, then sitting in the office on the phone with support for the NAS hardware hoping to find a fix. All of this gets exponentially worse as the hardware degrades over time. You'll be back here in 3-5 years making another capital purchase and looking at migration plans for the data.

With a public cloud provider there are many tiers of storage available to meet any possible requirement and you will have true redundancy and DR. You can manage this down to the byte level and move the data between tiers depending on how you use it. You pay for data you retrieve, so depending on how accessible you need to make it will drive your costs.

If you're techie enough (and I think you are based on most of your posts), sign-up for a AWS/Azure/Google cloud account and check it out. AWS is probably a good place to start. You could play with a backup option to begin getting comfortable with it. Send your most critical data from the NAS to your storage. Again, not a SaaS service - administer the raw options and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how flexible it is.

I don't see how NAS would be faster and more convenient than a S3 bucket. Unless you are in the office at LAN speeds accessing it literally next to you - but even then, you could invest in your internet connection instead of local hardware to get similar access speeds. Glacier is not intended for real-time access.

You may be surprised on a 5 year ROI comparison between maintaining your own hardware and just eliminating it all for public cloud storage - keep in mind that is difficult to quantify how valuable true redundancy and DR is to your business. You won't truly know until you lose data.

P.S. I'm not a sales guy for public cloud, I just engineer this type of stuff for a living.
Mikey,

No harm done by being tardy.
I would have bought it anyway. My needs are small, really.

Oh, yeah.
You already know I have foibles. I.e., I strongly prefer not to give money or data directly to Amazon or Google when I can avoid it. That leaves me Azure, and I will look into it.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:01 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Mikey,

No harm done by being tardy.
I would have bought it anyway. My needs are small, really.

Oh, yeah.
You already know I have foibles. I.e., I strongly prefer not to give money or data directly to Amazon or Google when I can avoid it. That leaves me Azure, and I will look into it.
Trust me, I know it's fun to "get your hands dirty" and I have little doubts that your new NAS will meet your needs. There's a quiet sense of satisfaction unboxing and making it all work. Best of luck with it.

If you start playing with Azure and have questions don't be shy reaching out. I was recently at their Ignite conference and my head is filled with Microsoft propaganda - but please don't hold that against me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers