Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 07:59 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
OUCH!!!!

I went this way when purchasing Office.

https://shop.collegebuys.org/microso...ows-p8339.aspx
People sell keys on eBay for even less. I think most of them are volume corporate keys with no device limit. A very gray area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 08:44 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
OUCH!!!!

I went this way when purchasing Office.

https://shop.collegebuys.org/microso...ows-p8339.aspx
$130 is "ouch"? Seriousy? Oh... you're right. Much better to use a stolen copy...

It's not a gray area. People steal credit card info from some. Buy a bunch of legit MS Office codes. Sell them for $40.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:57 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
^ i'm not an open-source zealot but in this case it just makes sense to install libre-office. like why not ?

10 responses and posters are suggesting about subscribing to their online service, paying $100's of dollars, paying for stolen codes on ebay, ... is microsoft-office that much better than libre-office to justify the cost or having to adjust your life to always be online to access your documents or potentially breaking the law ?

i honsetly dont get it (maybe some persons arent aware there are more than one office program) ?

Old 01-29-2019, 10:37 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Windows 10 refused to install Office 2003 for me. And believe me I tried everything I could. The license was refused for every copy I have on more than one computer. Grrrr.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:40 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
^ i'm not an open-source zealot but in this case it just makes sense to install libre-office. like why not ?

10 responses and posters are suggesting about subscribing to their online service, paying $100's of dollars, paying for stolen codes on ebay, ... is microsoft-office that much better than libre-office to justify the cost or having to adjust your life to always be online to access your documents or potentially breaking the law ?

i honsetly dont get it (maybe some persons arent aware there are more than one office program) ?
Well - the Op asked about options for getting MS Office. And that what was provided. So I'm not sure why its so hard to fathom. Are there other option besides Office? Of course, and that was presented as well. How they proceed from here is up to them. And just because it's not what YOU would do doesn't automatically mean it's not sensible. Is MS office better? Does it have to be for someone to prefer it over others? And is there really an indisputable metric for this or is it all pretty much subjective anyways....?

Old 01-29-2019, 12:12 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I bought MS office through a program we had at work. It was about $15. However it only lasted three years, so I got Freeoffice, which works great. Problem was I could not open documents without them defaulting to MS Word and it was a PIA to get out of once it opened. You had to click through a series of screens asking you to register (and pay). I finally just uninstalled office. Now everything works great.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:24 PM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Windows 10 refused to install Office 2003 for me. And believe me I tried everything I could. The license was refused for every copy I have on more than one computer. Grrrr.
This reminded my that in order to activate Office XP or Office 2003 on my XP and XP64 systems, I had to make sure Microsoft Internet Explorer was the default browser.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:05 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
That's why I love Office '97 and have used it with Windows 98SE, 2000 Professional, XP, and now 10. No problems except that Outlook won't run on W10 for some reason, so I use Thunderbird.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:39 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
Because, yes, quite frankly, it sucks.
Quote:
10 responses and posters are suggesting about subscribing to their online service, paying $100's of dollars
$130 is prettry affordable for something like that. Absolutely gobsmacked anyone could think otherwise. A video game you play for 3 months is $60 brand new. MS should be thanked for even continuing to offer this instead of subscription only.
Quote:
paying for stolen codes on ebay
If it seems to good to be true, people... they are STOLEN codes.
Quote:
is microsoft-office that much better than libre-office to justify the cost
Here's the thing: it really is.
Quote:
or having to adjust your life to always be online to access your documents or potentially breaking the law ?
This makes no sense. First off I don't think anyone even seriously suggested getting the subscription which is where I think you are going with this 'online' comment. When you buy the subscription, you download Office to your computer and don't ever need online access again.

I've used many of the free options over the years. There is ALWAYS some compromise to make, some issue to resolve. It's worth the money to me for the real thing. There's a reason it is as popular as it is and it's not because Microsoft is evil and forced it on every one.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:26 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Because, yes, quite frankly, it sucks.
$130 is prettry affordable for something like that. Absolutely gobsmacked anyone could think otherwise. A video game you play for 3 months is $60 brand new. MS should be thanked for even continuing to offer this instead of subscription only.
If it seems to good to be true, people... they are STOLEN codes.
Here's the thing: it really is.
This makes no sense. First off I don't think anyone even seriously suggested getting the subscription which is where I think you are going with this 'online' comment. When you buy the subscription, you download Office to your computer and don't ever need online access again.

I've used many of the free options over the years. There is ALWAYS some compromise to make, some issue to resolve. It's worth the money to me for the real thing. There's a reason it is as popular as it is and it's not because Microsoft is evil and forced it on every one.
Not sure, but you may have a few minutes left to edit this comment out. Tomorrow you'll wonder what you were thinking and be glad you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers