Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 05:42 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,041,939 times

Advertisements

Recently bought a new computer and during the set up, for some stupid reason, Microsoft decided an Xbox account my son had about 10 years ago was me. Now, it's constantly telling me "you need your parent's permission to do whatever." I have called the Microsoft help number several times, as well as used the prove your age steps on the account, but this dang thing still is stuck on "you need your parent's permission."

Anyone now how the heck I can fix this? Wish I could just delete everything Microsoft, but I don't want to rebuild this computer from scratch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 05:51 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Forgive me for ROFL.... that would be infuriating. Just so we are clear it's a new computer and defaulted to parental control account, you now have no way of creating administrator account?

I know I had to deal with this the other way around for relative so the child could download a damn game, was a PITA. AFAIK You need the adult account that was setup that controls the child account.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:08 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times
According to the complete morons at Microsoft, I'm now 13 months old. Yep, have gone thru the same BS as you. There is no fix apparently. I understand though that IF you can get one of the morons on the phone AND give them a credit card number, they'll fix it. They're FAR TOO STUPID to ever see my credit info. Helpful hint, Ubuntu is your friend. Just never let it update after you've set it up and it'll put a smile on yer face. FAR, FAR faster than Microsoft anything. Enjoy hassle free internet too.....no popups, no ransomware, no anti-virus, just simple internet. And it's all FREE.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Forgive me for ROFL.... that would be infuriating. Just so we are clear it's a new computer and defaulted to parental control account, you now have no way of creating administrator account?

I know I had to deal with this the other way around for relative so the child could download a damn game, was a PITA. AFAIK You need the adult account that was setup that controls the child account.
Yes. Evidently somewhere in the set up routine it checks to see if you have a Microsoft account. My son had one on his xbox years ago. That xbox is gone and he hadn't used it in years (he's in college now). So before I even know what was going on, it grabbed that account and decided to make that the account on this machine. Same thing as TrapperL notes below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
According to the complete morons at Microsoft, I'm now 13 months old. Yep, have gone thru the same BS as you. There is no fix apparently. I understand though that IF you can get one of the morons on the phone AND give them a credit card number, they'll fix it. They're FAR TOO STUPID to ever see my credit info. Helpful hint, Ubuntu is your friend. Just never let it update after you've set it up and it'll put a smile on yer face. FAR, FAR faster than Microsoft anything. Enjoy hassle free internet too.....no popups, no ransomware, no anti-virus, just simple internet. And it's all FREE.
Yep, been through that routine with them to no avail. Already switched to Open Office because their stupid "you need a parent's permission" routine wouldn't sell me Office 360. So they've actually cost themselves. No big loss as far as I'm concerned. I've regained control of most of the computer but it still pops ups at odd times. Like tonight one of the threads here on CD linked to a new article and that's when the "need parent's permission" popped up again. If I wasn't concerned about losing a lot of files during the process, I'd dump MS completely.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:56 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Yes. Evidently somewhere in the set up routine it checks to see if you have a Microsoft account. My son had one on his xbox years ago. That xbox is gone and he hadn't used it in years (he's in college now). So before I even know what was going on, it grabbed that account and decided to make that the account on this machine. Same thing as TrapperL notes below.

Computers don't just make up accounts. It had to get access to that account from somewhere. Last time I played with Windows 10, you could use it without a Microsoft account. It could also be changed to a different Microsoft account. Do you not have Administrator access to the computer?

Old 02-02-2019, 09:14 AM

Yes, I have admin access to the computer. Thought I'd gotten this fixed twice, but it came back again yesterday on a C-D link. There is something set, somewhere that I can't find, that "thinks" I am under 18. During the initial set up phase, I let it use it's standard set up routine. It came back and said I had a microsoft account. That's when the issue started. All microsoft help desk would do is tell me I'm a child's account and won't change it to an adult. If I go to the account it lists me as a child. I've even tried deleting the Microsoft account, but get denied permission since I'm not the "parent." If anyone knows of where the magic toggle is, that would be great. Just trying to avoid having to rebuild from zero.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:33 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times
Quote:
Computers don't just make up accounts.
With the newer versions of Windows 10, you'll have an account or it won't install. As you are in the setup when the PC is new, it will ask you all kinds of personal questions like full name, phone number, etc. You are filling out their application for an account. One of the questions is your age. That's where they put it to you. On mine, it wouldn't take the correct info. Frustrated with it, I hit the enter key to get past it and of course, now I'm 13 months old. Tons of complaints about this tactic. But make no mistake, to use the new Windows 10 you WILL have an account and they are quick to tell you, Windows 10 is not private programming but a monthly service. What I see coming and from info by large system administrators is that MS, for the home user, will be offered Windows 10 as a monthly service and a monthly charge will be added to your credit card. I'm hearing around 12 bucks a month. MS will fix anything on the PC that is theirs so if you pickup a virus or ransomware, they will fix it at no additional charge. How they determine you have an issue, I have no clue.

You might also want to know that the newest MS Office 360 is not a one time purchase. The license to use it is for one year only. After that, if you don't pay for a new license, it won't work and all you'll get is a screen that wants the new key. The days of buying anything MS and using it forever are over. The money you pay for an MS program is for a one year use, you do not own it. FWIW, school districts have been on this program for years now. The 5th largest school district in Texas is now having to pay MS over 1.5 million a year for license renewals and the cost keeps going up. The wife is the one that has to authorize the check.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:33 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,860 times
Quote:
Recently bought a new computer and during the set up, for some stupid reason, Microsoft decided an Xbox account my son had about 10 years ago was me. Now, it's constantly telling me "you need your parent's permission to do whatever." I have called the Microsoft help number several times, as well as used the prove your age steps on the account, but this dang thing still is stuck on "you need your parent's permission."

Anyone now how the heck I can fix this? Wish I could just delete everything Microsoft, but I don't want to rebuild this computer from scratch.

i see this looks like a common issue and you all say nothing can be done..has anybody tried disconecting PC from internet then doing system restore back to before bad MS account was added..then making another user account with admin rights??

Old 02-02-2019, 03:15 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Yes, I have admin access to the computer. Thought I'd gotten this fixed twice, but it came back again yesterday on a C-D link. There is something set, somewhere that I can't find, that "thinks" I am under 18. During the initial set up phase, I let it use it's standard set up routine. It came back and said I had a microsoft account. That's when the issue started. All microsoft help desk would do is tell me I'm a child's account and won't change it to an adult. If I go to the account it lists me as a child. I've even tried deleting the Microsoft account, but get denied permission since I'm not the "parent." If anyone knows of where the magic toggle is, that would be great. Just trying to avoid having to rebuild from zero.
It sounds like it is not your computer that is the problem. It is a Microsoft account problem. That's probably why you can't fix it. Microsoft should have a way to change it if you prove who you are. I am surprised that they don't.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:47 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
With the newer versions of Windows 10, you'll have an account or it won't install.

You can still skip all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers