Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 01:37 PM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

My trusty old HP photo smart just died. So now I have to go out and pick out a new printer. Reading reviews on Amazon is an exercise in futility, since so many of them are fake anyway, and Amazons star system is based on some strange logic I can’t possibly comprehend. I haven’t found a single printer with what I would call good reviews on Amazon. I went into Best Buy and look at what they had in stock, and they all feel like they’re made of about $.25 worth of cheap flimsy parts.

I want a decent paper tray, the ability to print in black and white if my color cartridges are empty (that eliminates Epson completely), WiFi/usb connectivity, ink that doesn’t cost an arm and leg to replace, and a size that is something reasonable for the hone. Scanning and copying of course, so an “ all in one”. I’d gladly pay $200 for such a printer. But I don’t think anyone makes such an animal.

Why does no one make a decent printer for the home anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 02:01 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
I'm an HP fan but have you looked at Brother? They seem to have a big following and are what I would describe as a "Home Printer". Inkjets are not very good at anything except for printing photos. Have you considered a laser?

Old 03-05-2019, 02:20 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
I've had decent luck over the years with Canon inkjets. No issues with using 3rd party ink, which is about half the price of Canon's. If I can get 5 years from a $100 printer there's not much to complain about.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I'm an HP fan but have you looked at Brother? They seem to have a big following and are what I would describe as a "Home Printer". Inkjets are not very good at anything except for printing photos. Have you considered a laser?
Color lasers are too pricey for home use. At least for me, certainly.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:52 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
They are more and the toner is not that cheap BUT you can get generic toner (much less) and the printer is maybe a $100 more than your $200 budget. Since you will not be printing that much, the printer and toner will last a lot longer. You get what you pay for.

That said, here's an AIO inkjet from Brother
https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Wirel.../dp/B07CCDVN8W

Not all reviews are fake on Amazon. You can also look for reviews elsewhere like this which includes Best Buy, PC Magazine, Consumer reports etc.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.Nzsqs5L2TQc

Last edited by gguerra; 03-05-2019 at 03:03 PM..

Old 03-05-2019, 02:52 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
$200 or less if you just need a printer. $300-400 gets you the better multi-function ones.

Really it depends how much you print and what you print. Photo is injket, laser can't do photo quality at least on a consumer budget. If you're printing a few hundred pages a year, you'll never really recoup the cost a laser printer. If you're printing a few thousand pages a month it'll pay for itself in a few months. They don't actually make any money selling those $30 printers. They make it on selling the ink that runs out after a few hundred pages.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:14 PM

732 posts, read 390,364 times
What I wish they made was a cheap color printer that didn't have the inkjet issues with screwing up with non-use.

The average person probably needs a cheap b&w laser printer (Brother, let's say) and then a cheap and rarely used color printer. The problem is that inkjet printers deal poorly with low usage.

I'm tempted to buy a Cannon PIXMA Pro-100 for $79 right now (one of the sales that happens now and again), but I'm certain it'll sit and I'll have to buy a new pack of ink every 8 months or so.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
$200 or less if you just need a printer. $300-400 gets you the better multi-function ones.

Really it depends how much you print and what you print. Photo is injket, laser can't do photo quality at least on a consumer budget. If you're printing a few hundred pages a year, you'll never really recoup the cost a laser printer. If you're printing a few thousand pages a month it'll pay for itself in a few months. They don't actually make any money selling those $30 printers. They make it on selling the ink that runs out after a few hundred pages.
Yeah laser cost is just more than I can justify. And I want color, definitely. I don’t care about photos...if I want to print a photo I have it done at a store or online. SD card slot is also on my list.

I think I need to stop looking at Amazon. Their reviews are all awful.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:11 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,019 times
in the last ten years i went thru two cheapo $30 hp printers...i ONLY print maybe once a week and either the ink would dry up or it would be the old wont print without color issue...i have since moved on to a refurbish brother laser b/w that cost all of $45 at online walmart...been working fine for a yesr or more and at 80plus percent toner level still..

it seems as tho when i wasn't looking printer companies have found a solution in something they are calling "super tank" printers and these inkjets are worth a look
https://www.pcmag.com/review/345055/brother-mfc-j985dw
https://www.consumerreports.org/prin...epson-ecotank/

Old 03-05-2019, 04:18 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
I bought a Dell color multifunction laser about 8 years ago, still ticking away. Only about 6000 pages printed, and use generic toner refills exclusively. I think I paid $600 back then.

Compare that with the cost of multiple “disposable” inkjets and replacement cartridges.

I have one inkjet in the house for the kids and for photo printing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers