Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 11:04 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,388 times

Advertisements

Open Office has its clunky features, but it works and it's free. It'll deal with all MS Office's formats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 11:13 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Are you guys still using Open Office or have you migrated to Libre Office now?

Old 03-18-2019, 02:41 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Despite having access to all versions of Office, I, too, opted for having Libre Office on my home system.
They have truly come a long way and the latest version is pretty solid.

Also, I had no problem making a donation to keep them going strong which beats paying $70+ for just one Office app per year.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I had the same happen to me as did the OP. I switched to Open Office.

Recently, I downloaded GOOGLE Chrome's GOOGLE Docs. It's basic but works fine for me. I use it specifically for emailing articles to the editor of the newsletter I sometimes contribute to.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I had the same happen to me as did the OP. I switched to Open Office.

Recently, I downloaded GOOGLE Chrome's GOOGLE Docs. It's basic but works fine for me. I use it specifically for emailing articles to the editor of the newsletter I sometimes contribute to.
You know with Chrome you can go offline. You just have to stay in Google Docs format.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:23 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
That's always an option.

Keep in mind that you are responsible for any cloud storage on that one though. So you need to have OneDrive set up on your PC or manually copy the file into OneDrive.

I don't think you understand how this works?!?

If you buy the non subscriptions copy of Office (or O365 for that matter)... you don't need cloud storage?!? Not sure what you're trying to say here?!?

Old 03-25-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't think you understand how this works?!?

If you buy the non subscriptions copy of Office (or O365 for that matter)... you don't need cloud storage?!? Not sure what you're trying to say here?!?
Calm down man. No need to be triggered.

You assume that people don't want or need cloud storage in that scenario maybe someone still does but they think they're entitled to it for free, which is sort of how Google Drive portrays itself as working, but only works that way with conditions.

Just because you would use it one way does not mean that everyone thinks that same way.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Calm down man. No need to be triggered.
Triggered? Not sure what in my reply gave you the impression that I am.... "triggered"?
Seriously what in my post conveys.... triggered?

Quote:
You assume that people don't want or need cloud storage in that scenario
I'm not assuming anything. Your post made it sound like you NEED to have OneDrive for this to work.
I am just being clear here, you don't. You don't need it at all. Under no time was I under the impression OP even cared about cloud as there was no mention of it, or OneDrive.
I'm assuming you thought he meant cloud because 'his documents are held hostage"... Pretty sure in this case he only means all he can do is view them now, not make edits.

Quote:
Just because you would use it one way does not mean that everyone thinks that same way.
I use OneDrive, so again... made zero assumptions here. I was just trying to make sure OP wasn't confused by your references to it.
I also use Google Drive and DropBox, too.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Triggered? Not sure what in my reply gave you the impression that I am.... "triggered"?
Seriously what in my post conveys.... triggered?.
and !?!

That is what I read from it.

But I was obviously wrong.

I was just trying to put it out there that even though Microsoft is pushing Office 365, for the cloud functionality, if people already have ways to deal with that they can just use the online version, and download their documents to their PC or they can use the Home and Student edition and push it over. Not sure that the average person is going to put in the work to do that or how practical that is, which is what I thought you were going with it.

It feels like Microsoft is trying to use the Office as a loss leader for OneDrive. Like people aren't going to just buy OneDrive like they would Dropbox but maybe we can get people to use OneDrive if we throw Office at them.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
and !?!
And you said I was triggered. I asked what made you say that?!?

Quote:
It feels like Microsoft is trying to use the Office as a loss leader for OneDrive. Like people aren't going to just buy OneDrive like they would Dropbox but maybe we can get people to use OneDrive if we throw Office at them.

Office is NOT a loss leader. My company pays Microsoft $6,000 a year for it.

I don't think MS really cares if Joe Consumer moves to OneDrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers