Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2019, 07:48 PM

46 posts, read 43,884 times

Advertisements

I can't find files I used to have on external drive so this means either I deleted them or they deleted on their own. I remember there was a folder I couldn't open and always got an error message when trying to open it so it's probably that one. How can I get it back? It's audio recordings. It's possible but not sure how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 08:30 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,399,182 times
Try this.

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

Old 04-01-2019, 09:43 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,797,156 times
If the files became undiscoverable due to some fault in the xHHD (external Hard Disk Drive), then there are too many possible ways it could have failed to list, and it gets crazy-technical. If these files have a significant monetary value, (hundreds of dollars and up), then take the drive to a Data Recovery Specialty firm. Google that term. They're fees start at $100 to look at it, and go up to thousands for a 'chance' to pull data off a drive that has severe problems.

If the files were deleted by you, knowingly or not, then they may be recoverable, depending on a few simple things.
When a computer file is deleted, it's not actually deleted. Rather, it's Table of Contents reference is erased, and the physical locations on the drive are tagged as usable for future storage.
So if you delete, and then haven't saved any new data yet, a simple Undelete action can usually get them back quick and easy. Just click on your Recycle Bin or similarly named.
So if you delete, and then have saved data, or other programs and/or processes of your computer has, then it's chance weather those spaces are used (and therefore overwritten and unrecoverable). If this is the case, then you may be able to still recover bits-n-pieces of the data, it all depends. Try the data recovery tools mentioned above, and then try the lower cost options of the Data Recovery firms.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:29 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,526,152 times
photorec.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:25 PM

372 posts, read 217,249 times
There are a couple of good free recovery apps around.

A few weeks ago, I lost all the data in my Imac master folder; over 500GB.

Not of the name, I think it was Ease data recovery. Worked fine

https://www.easeus.com/datarecoveryw...y-software.htm

Old 04-28-2022, 02:36 PM

104 posts, read 62,042 times
At the moment, I am also facing a situation where there are problems with the hard drive. I was looking for various information and advice on the forum. I read about the detailed instructions and special software that allows you to solve this problem.

Old 04-29-2022, 07:10 PM

8,234 posts, read 13,319,214 times
I'd say try the free Recuva or Photorec as mentioned by others. Both pretty good and simple to use.
If you didn't have success using either program, you might want to try my suggestions...

IMHO, your best chance of properly recovering data, if all else failed, would be by a data recovery service done by a reputable company/professional. As expected, that is also the most costly option.

Next on the list is my favorite app which I use multiple times a week. It is not free but hands down the best, if not one of the best: R-Studio

If you do not want to cough up any dough, feel free to try the same app (but a slightly older version which still works like a charm by downloading Sergei Strelec's Bootable Image and creating a bootable USB drive using the image and a 8+ GB Flash drive.

I was in the process of creating a step by step how 2 for it but there are already bunch of videos on YouTube though most either very superficial or not covering it from A to Z including the data recovery using this app.
Still, fairly easy and straightforward once you create the bootable image. I can also help if you are stuck at any point.

Lastly, an unorthodox but arguably a very effective approach would be to use Roadkil's Raw Copy freebie. Which does a sector by sector copy from disk to disk while doing an on the fly recovery of data from bad sectors.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers