Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 05:37 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,813 times

Advertisements

It just happened to me today. I was suddenly blocked out of my emails with a note that I had to use a code to get back into my emails and they wouldn't send the code so I was blocked out. So then i called AOL service number and they told me i had to get a Google play card for 100$ and give them the number before they could fix the problem. So i called another AOL number and found out it was scam and the new numer (the real AOL number) fixed the problem so i could get back into my email account. It took a whole afternoon to correct. First time it has happened to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 05:55 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Yes, this happened to me a while back (probably 10 years ago). Someone hacked it to send out spam messages and I saw them actually deleting the spam from my sent box when I logged in. I quickly logged out all other users, changed the password and reported it, but the damage had already been done.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:01 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
To the OP: There are a couple of general lessons to be learned here.

I suspect that you're email wasn't "hacked", (your account taken over - probably by someone who guessed your password), but rather you received a standard email from a "Phisher". This email was forged to look like it came from your email service, but had phony contact info for you to call. That's when you talked to a person who then asked you for money.
(Game cards, gift cards, and the like are one way that they can get money from you that isn't traceable).
LESSON 1: Don't believe everything you receive via email. (Or browser pop-ups too).

LESSON 2: Never, ever, ever contact a firm using an email or phone or txt number that is displayed to you via an email (that appears to be) from them. It's super easy to forge those.
If you need to contact your bank, email provider, cell phone provider, etc. look at a bill, or the back of your credit card, or manually search for and find their normal website, to find their Customer Service contact info.
Another way to say this is NEVER reply to such a communication, rather you initiate a new call instead. Don't hit Reply, Don't click on the address THEY PROVIDE, don't call the number they show. Instead, you look up the number that you know, or is PUBLICALLY displayed as for them, and start the call yourself.

A smaller lesson is that almost all companies will never contact you via phone, text, email or such if their's a problem. They will use good olde-fashoned post office mail.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:22 PM

[quote=Ed_RDNC;54856508]To the OP: There are a couple of general lessons to be learned here.

I suspect that you're email wasn't "hacked", (your account taken over - probably by someone who guessed your password), but rather you received a standard email from a "Phisher". This email was forged to look like it came from your email service, but had phony contact info for you to call. That's when you talked to a person who then asked you for money.
(Game cards, gift cards, and the like are one way that they can get money from you that isn't traceable).
LESSON 1: Don't believe everything you receive via email. (Or browser pop-ups too).

LESSON 2: Never, ever, ever contact a firm using an email or phone or txt number that is displayed to you via an email (that appears to be) from them. It's super easy to forge those.
If you need to contact your bank, email provider, cell phone provider, etc. look at a bill, or the back of your credit card, or manually search for and find their normal website, to find their Customer Service contact info.
Another way to say this is NEVER reply to such a communication, rather you initiate a new call instead. Don't hit Reply, Don't click on the address THEY PROVIDE, don't call the number they show. Instead, you look up the number that you know, or is PUBLICALLY displayed as for them, and start the call yourself.

A smaller lesson is that almost all companies will never contact you via phone, text, email or such if their's a problem. They will use good olde-fashoned post office mail.[/QUOTE

But the problem was I couldn't get back into my email because they had 2 buttons and 1 said push for a text message and the other said push for a phone message. I couldn't push for a text message because I couldn't get around their message to get into my email and when I pushed phone message they didn't leave a message. So my only alternative was to contact an AOL number and I got a scam number.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
But the problem was I couldn't get back into my email because they had 2 buttons and 1 said push for a text message and the other said push for a phone message. I couldn't push for a text message because I couldn't get around their message to get into my email and when I pushed phone message they didn't leave a message. So my only alternative was to contact an AOL number and I got a scam number.
I think you're still missing the point. Don't push ANY buttons on an email sent to you. The buttons offered you (in the email from them), were all forged to go to somewhere different, but made to look the same.

Open a browser and enter the address yourself. Or Google the address and click on that.
Anyone can make up an email that looks like it's from someone else.
But if you start with a brand new (just opened) browser window, and you use known-OK address sources, (entering it yourself, or as suggested by Google ... from a new browser window), then you KNOW you will be sent to the right place.

This principle is the same as if you get a phone call from someone who claims to be from your bank, and they say there's a problem with your account and you should tell them you're password to prove your ID.
Bad Idea.
Instead, you say, OK, let me call you back. Then you look at the Customer Service phone number on the back of your credit card (a number that you know is not a fake), and use that to call the bank.
Since the connection is made by you, to a destination that you know is correct, you avoid being connected with a thief.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:00 AM

339 posts, read 171,266 times
There is a similar scam operating as a phony Google ad sales, but not via email. They call your business number and claim that your business ads on Google require payment. They want $100. It's a lie. My girlfriendf has an online business and they tried that with her. Ha ha. She told them off with colorful language.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I think you're still missing the point. Don't push ANY buttons on an email sent to you. The buttons offered you (in the email from them), were all forged to go to somewhere different, but made to look the same.

Open a browser and enter the address yourself. Or Google the address and click on that.
Anyone can make up an email that looks like it's from someone else.
But if you start with a brand new (just opened) browser window, and you use known-OK address sources, (entering it yourself, or as suggested by Google ... from a new browser window), then you KNOW you will be sent to the right place.

This principle is the same as if you get a phone call from someone who claims to be from your bank, and they say there's a problem with your account and you should tell them you're password to prove your ID.
Bad Idea.
Instead, you say, OK, let me call you back. Then you look at the Customer Service phone number on the back of your credit card (a number that you know is not a fake), and use that to call the bank.
Since the connection is made by you, to a destination that you know is correct, you avoid being connected with a thief.
But that doesn't tell how I could get around the fake AOL login to get to the real one?

Old 04-08-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
But that doesn't tell how I could get around the fake AOL login to get to the real one?
Here's an example, first with a phone as it's clearer to follow:
You get a phone call. They say they're from your bank and there's an emergency and you need to give them your login and password so they can get into your account to keep it from being robbed.
You suspect that the call is actually robbers themselves so you ask for proof of ID, and they give you a phone number to call to verify their credentials.

Would you call that number? Or recognize that the phone number given to you by them is equally false.
Instead, you open up one of your monthly bank statements, find the Customer Service 1-800 that they all have, and use that number to call to verify them. You do this because the monthly statement's info is far less likely to be faked.

Now switch to email:
You get an email. It says it's from your bank and there's an emergency and you need to click on a button and enter your login and password to get into your account to keep it from being robbed.
You are concerned that the email is false, so you read further, and see it has an email to contact, another button to click, or a phone number to call, to verify the emails credentials.

Would you use one of those verification steps? Or recognize that the email could have been forged to appear identical to other emails you may have received in the past.
Instead, you open up one of your monthly bank statements, find the Customer Service email, that they all have, and use that address to email the bank verify the original email. You do this because the monthly statement's info is far less likely to be faked.

The points are: It's very easy to forge email, both contents and the senders name. There have been many many people scammed with email that LOOK exactly 100% correct and match other emails, but the button they give for you to press actually goes to a scam site, and not where you think it may go.

Don't click on the button in the email. Open a browser and YOU fill in your bank's web address manually, then log into your account normally. If there's a problem, it will show up there.
Or even more safe: pick up that statement, find and phone customer support, (they'll ask for your ID verification, and since YOU called THEM using a number that's trustworthy, you are sure they are legit and you give them your birth date and such for verification), and ask them about what the email says.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:44 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
It's also easy to falsify headers (with certain email clients). I got gaslighted on USENET and it was a nightmare. Some kids (I think) having fun at my expense, logging in as me. My reputation took a big hit and I'm not the only one. I briefly contemplated suicide when I saw what they had written.

USENET is a zoo with no moderation and no way, in the US, to remove the offensive material.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:00 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
It's also easy to falsify headers (with certain email clients). I got gaslighted on USENET and it was a nightmare. Some kids (I think) having fun at my expense, logging in as me. My reputation took a big hit and I'm not the only one. I briefly contemplated suicide when I saw what they had written.

USENET is a zoo with no moderation and no way, in the US, to remove the offensive material.
Remember IRC? It was sort of the predecessor to Twitter to which I don't partake and don't really care to either. I also kind of regret joining facebook for various reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers