Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 05:46 PM

3,800 posts, read 4,654,254 times

Advertisements

This is something that just started being an issue. I open outlook 365 & does not populate with new emails. I can see the e-mails on my phone so I know I have e-mails. I can send e-mails through outlook & it goes to where it needs to. So the issue is just retreiving e-mails.

It does seem like after 20 minutes or so they finally show up but this has never happened. I also have hit the send/receive button but no luck.

Any idea? Again this is something that just has started being an issue after years of working fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 10:15 AM

86 posts, read 62,171 times
Are you referring to the Outlook desktop application or the Outlook Web application?

Assuming that it's the desktop application and you are connecting to an Exchange mailbox, it could possible be an issue with the .ost file which is created to store mail locally on the computer. Outlook can be in either Cached Mode, which utilizes the local .ost file, or Online Mode, in which you interact directly with the mailbox on the server. By default, Outlook will configure a mailbox connection in Cached Mode.

I would change the mode to Online mode. This should give you a fully updated view of the mailbox. You could then go back to Cached mode if you choose. When you switch back to cached mode, a new .ost file will be created.

To switch between modes, while in the main Outlook window, click File => Account Settings => Account Settings.

Select your mailbox and then click the Change button above it.

Deselect Use Cached Exchange Mode and click Next. Click Finish

Close and then reopen Outlook.

To switch back to Cached Mode, repeat the above steps and then check the Use Cached Exchange Mode and set the slider to whatever amount of mail you want cached locally. Click Next and Finish.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlewsTheGoat View Post
Are you referring to the Outlook desktop application or the Outlook Web application?

Assuming that it's the desktop application and you are connecting to an Exchange mailbox, it could possible be an issue with the .ost file which is created to store mail locally on the computer. Outlook can be in either Cached Mode, which utilizes the local .ost file, or Online Mode, in which you interact directly with the mailbox on the server. By default, Outlook will configure a mailbox connection in Cached Mode.

I would change the mode to Online mode. This should give you a fully updated view of the mailbox. You could then go back to Cached mode if you choose. When you switch back to cached mode, a new .ost file will be created.

To switch between modes, while in the main Outlook window, click File => Account Settings => Account Settings.

Select your mailbox and then click the Change button above it.

Deselect Use Cached Exchange Mode and click Next. Click Finish

Close and then reopen Outlook.

To switch back to Cached Mode, repeat the above steps and then check the Use Cached Exchange Mode and set the slider to whatever amount of mail you want cached locally. Click Next and Finish.

HI
I didn't see "Deselect cached exchange" When I get to the "change" screen I do not see any of those options. And yes it's desk top.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:39 PM

Update:
So what you explained I can't see. But I did go to Send/Receive at the top. Then send/recieve groups. Then my email account then INBOX and it syncs. But that's what i have to do in order to get emails to populate.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:06 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,418,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Update:
So what you explained I can't see. But I did go to Send/Receive at the top. Then send/recieve groups. Then my email account then INBOX and it syncs. But that's what I have to do in order to get emails to populate.
It seems that I have across this once or twice before.

So you are saying that it doesn't do send/receive on it's own?

What version of outlook?

Old 05-09-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It seems that I have across this once or twice before.

So you are saying that it doesn't do send/receive on it's own?

What version of outlook?
Correct. When I open it on my computer it will not send/receive. Then I go do it manually under the options I explained above it will work. That is until I close it down again.

And this just started happening after using it for well over a year.

365 office.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:38 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,418,741 times
Quote:
Correct. When I open it on my computer it will not send/receive. Then I go do it manually under the options I explained above it will work. That is until I close it down again.

365 office.
I don't actually remember what I did to fix it but it was for a standalone (not cloud) version of office. It should not matter, it's almost the same thing. I think I had to rebuild the mail profile.

This may help
https://www.repairwin.com/outlook-au...orking-solved/

or a search for more possible solutions
https://www.google.com/search?q=outl...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 12-26-2019, 01:18 PM

689 posts, read 2,052,550 times
I've had a similar problem since December 4th. I can send but not receive. I get the message "An unknown error has occurred..." With error code 150. I have Outlook for Mac 2011, using it on a big Mac desktop computer. There are two accounts and the problem is on both. I've tried checking the settings, restarting Outlook, restarting the computer, clicking on Send/Receive All.

I can read mail by going to the Cox website, but it's a lot more trouble. I called the Geek Squad earlier but the "tech" on the phone couldn't help me.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:42 AM

8 posts, read 2,901 times
Quote:

365 office.
I had the same problem in Outlook 2010 for a week or so until. . . .It occurred to me to click on "Today" and lo and behold! all past incoming appeared! All this time I didn't realize of clicking on it because who's going to think that we have to nudge Outlook in order for it to do its job? I hope this helps you as it did to me if you still have the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers