Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 10:09 AM

625 posts, read 4,569,989 times

Advertisements

Tried calling tech support, but the guy wasn't very helpful...it's a Belkin g router...
-I had this router working fine when I had DSL
-switched to cable internet
-when I plugged my cable modem into router I could connect to the router wirelessly with my computer, but the internet wouldn't work
-internet works when I run ethernet cable from the cable modem, so I don't think it's the modem

Any suggestions?
while troubleshooting with tech support, he had me run a cable from one of the ports on the router to my computer-then type ipconfig at the cmd prompt, came back as disconnected media if that helps any.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 06:01 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Been there, but it's been a while.

What I remember is that the DSL required some specific settings for the connection Ppoa (?) and a couple of others. Cable wants different settings. Man I wish I remember what I went through.

Have you reset the router?

I'll ask on another forum. Hope you don't mind a cut-and-paste of your post???

Old 04-16-2008, 06:32 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
Yes...most DSL providers use PPoE... I have cable internet, and use the DHCP setting.

Here is what I would do... Find a reset button on the back of the modem...hold it in for 20 seconds... Then unplug the power to both the modem and router... Reconnect the power to your modem... Wait 20 seconds or so, and plug the power back to your router.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
First response from the other forum. Sounds very much like the previous post.

"Try changing from PPPOE to assign automatically"

Old 04-16-2008, 07:08 PM

252 posts, read 390,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgustafson View Post
Yes...most DSL providers use PPoE... I have cable internet, and use the DHCP setting.

Here is what I would do... Find a reset button on the back of the modem...hold it in for 20 seconds... Then unplug the power to both the modem and router... Reconnect the power to your modem... Wait 20 seconds or so, and plug the power back to your router.
This sounds right...

Old 04-16-2008, 08:01 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
I would turn the computer off, modem, and the router after resetting and all of that. Then I would turn only the modem ON, when all the LED's stop blinking (takes from several seconds to a couple of minutes), then I would turn the router ON, wait ten to twenty seconds, and the turn the computer on.

Be aware that if you reset the router you will have to access the router settings with a browser, and then enter your account's user name and password, etc. There are instructions on how to to access the router on the router's manual.

Also online as shown here:
4 steps to set up your home wireless network

My LinkSys router was giving me fits (similar problems), so I switched to Belkin a year ago, and haven't had those problems.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:00 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Once you have reset the router to defalts and have logged in to ensure your connection to the internet is set via dhcp or automatic. Don't forget some routers still require you to connect to the internet modem. Linksys has you do it in the Status page. Don't know what you have to do with the belkin.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:46 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Once you have reset the router to defalts and have logged in to ensure your connection to the internet is set via dhcp or automatic. Don't forget some routers still require you to connect to the internet modem. Linksys has you do it in the Status page. Don't know what you have to do with the belkin.
I had two LinkSys routers that would create faults during the download of large
files or programs. I even upgraded their firmware to no avail. So I got a couple of Belking $9.00 routers and the problem was solved. I still don't know what the problem was, but it was not with the computer nor the DSL modem. All routers require similar settings, including the account name and password.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:23 PM

625 posts, read 4,569,989 times
Thanks for all the tips! I ended up reseting both the cable modem and router and it works now...I think reseting the cable modem is what did it though, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers