Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 06:14 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
I'm looking for a laptop with a lot of memory , the most i can get
my budget is $1000 or less
any suggestions ?
You have 100's of choices. Due to Win10 being hungry look for computers with a minimum of 12GB RAM, a i5 processor and has a hybrid hard drive which is part SSD and a 1TB Hard drive or larger (or has one of each).

Use this to search for deals.

https://slickdeals.net/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 11:12 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
8GB is plenty for Win10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I'd hardly call that a beast. Slower U series processor, integrated graphics. Just depends what you want.
It's not a gaming laptop. It's a Beast for what it is. "Slower" U series? Yea, like anyone using that would notice it's 5% slower.... opening a webpage?!? That 'slower' U series is also better on battery life. It's a convertible 2 in 1 which is why its a bit more. and those are very fun to use as I type at you on mine. Poster would be very happy with that.

Quote:
m15 is under $800 for
i7 8750H, GTX 1060 6GB, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD. I'd do a clean install to get rid of all the bloat on an SSD. The m15 has poor thermals so undervolt and repasting are recommended.
That would be a good deal. Cheapest M15 I see is $1099:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/lapt...are-m15-laptop
And I'mm certainly not buying an laptop that needs repasted?!? Come on...

Quote:
G3 for $814.
i5 9300H, GTX 1660 Ti Max-Q, 512 GB NVMe SSD, 8 GB (2x4) RAM.
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gami...=19&l=en&s=dhs

That looks good, for sure. The $800 one comes with a 5400 'hybrid drive', though. I only recommend straight SSDs nowadays.

Quote:
Just depends what you want. Gaming, photo/video work obviously that HP is going to be awful but it will have better battery life and I can't imagine it has problems with thermals just because there's nothing in there to generate any heat.
We do agree!?! Poster didn't say he wanted a gaming machine. For a daily use streamer, browser, social media, word processor, you can't go wrong with the HP. If you want a gamer on a budget, the $1099 G3 looks good.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:43 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
8GB is plenty for Win10.

It's not a gaming laptop. It's a Beast for what it is. "Slower" U series? Yea, like anyone using that would notice it's 5% slower.... opening a webpage?!? That 'slower' U series is also better on battery life. It's a convertible 2 in 1 which is why its a bit more. and those are very fun to use as I type at you on mine. Poster would be very happy with that.

That would be a good deal. Cheapest M15 I see is $1099:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/lapt...are-m15-laptop
And I'mm certainly not buying an laptop that needs repasted?!? Come on...

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gami...=19&l=en&s=dhs

That looks good, for sure. The $800 one comes with a 5400 'hybrid drive', though. I only recommend straight SSDs nowadays.

We do agree!?! Poster didn't say he wanted a gaming machine. For a daily use streamer, browser, social media, word processor, you can't go wrong with the HP. If you want a gamer on a budget, the $1099 G3 looks good.
4 GB is fine for Win 10. Memory is cheap though so either get 8 GB or budget a second stick on anything over a $400 budget.

My old Intel Atom tablet will open a web site just fine. While to you that may be a "beast," we'll just have to disagree there as our definitions are just different. I would call something with powerful hardware for a given price a "beast." A slower, low voltage U processor and discrete graphics for $1,000 just is not a "beast" to me. Perfectly fine machine if all you want to do is surf the internet, Facebook/Instragram/YouTube, basic office word processing, email, stream Spotify/Pandora. I'd actually highly recommend a Chromebook for that type of stuff. I have one. It's great. It's just not a beast.

The m15 is $912 on your link. You don't NEED to repaste. It's just a good idea for the type of people who are going to take an m15 over a G3. I mean, it's a thin and light gaming laptop. It goes without saying it will have thermal issues. They all do. The m15 just a bit more so than normal because it's Dell and not Origin.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-16-2019 at 12:51 PM..

Old 09-17-2019, 06:46 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
4 GB is fine for Win 10. Memory is cheap though so either get 8 GB or budget a second stick on anything over a $400 budget.

My old Intel Atom tablet will open a web site just fine.....

I've been doing computer upgrades for Win10 installs for the past few weeks. With the introduction of build 1903 4GB of RAM is not enough. 8GB should be the minimum.

As to the tablets, they basically have SSD drives so they're going to run faster as whatever RAM is needed for something it'll temporarily take it from there.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:11 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I've been doing computer upgrades for Win10 installs for the past few weeks. With the introduction of build 1903 4GB of RAM is not enough. 8GB should be the minimum.

As to the tablets, they basically have SSD drives so they're going to run faster as whatever RAM is needed for something it'll temporarily take it from there.
I agree, 8GB is better for Win 10. For Win 7 it was good enough assuming you did not have a lot of programs open simultaneously or use memory hogs like Photo Shop and AutoCAD. With the prices nowadays why skimp?

Old 09-18-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
My old Intel Atom tablet will open a web site just fine. While to you that may be a "beast," we'll just have to disagree there as our definitions are just different.
Ok fine. Not a "Beast". Still a VERY capale consumer grade laptop.

Quote:
A slower, low voltage U processor and discrete graphics for $1,000 just is not a "beast" to me.
Putting way too much emphasis on that 'slower' processor. For a consumer grade laptop, meaning not a gmaing machine, it's more then good enough.

Quote:
The m15 is $912 on your link. You don't NEED to repaste. It's just a good idea for the type of people who are going to take an m15 over a G3. I mean, it's a thin and light gaming laptop. It goes without saying it will have thermal issues. They all do. The m15 just a bit more so than normal because it's Dell and not Origin.
Just not sure why you'd even mention. You know this isn't an enthusiast site. Very few people here are looking for a higher end gamer and if they are they'd mention that. As such, hardly anyone here is going to repaste anything.

@GGuera & Pruzhany: You're both wrong. While there is certainly not one thing wrong with 8G of RAM is it not the min for 10. Nope. It's not. A handful of PC's may benefit from having 8GB. Certainly some heavier users should have 8. But for Average Joe? Nah.
I just upgraded 44 computers to Win10 1903. 3 have more then 4GB. We are just using Word & Excel. Outlook. Internet. Maybe some youTube. All run perfectly fine. 3 of them only have 3GB. Two of those 3 are struggling a little but they have pretty low end processors.
If you are using a 5+ year old computer then yes, maybe you need to have 8GB's... to help your slower processor keep up. So yea, there are certainly exceptions. But 80% of anything released in the Win10 era is going to handle the latest 10 just fine.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:27 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,383,053 times
For $150 right now you can get a basic 8GB Laptop with Windows 10 from Staples.com
goto their website, search 'Refurbished Laptop' and then sort low to high , then check 8gb on left side under ram.
Lotsa ones for ~$200 (then take $50 off for $150). I got a 4gb one last week for $69 after coupon!!

till 9/21 use coupon code 14408 to get $50 off! then use 'ship to store' for free shipping (pickup local store)!!!

They have other ones & Desktops too (a $69 one for $20 after coupon) with Win10 included - use coupon $50 off !!

some even have Win10 pro, and many have SSD's!! shop hard!

Last edited by CCCyou; 09-18-2019 at 07:40 AM..

Old 09-19-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Ok fine. Not a "Beast". Still a VERY capale consumer grade laptop.

Putting way too much emphasis on that 'slower' processor. For a consumer grade laptop, meaning not a gmaing machine, it's more then good enough.
Yeah, I don't get it. Gaming laptops are consumer grade and gaming is not the only thing that is CPU intensive. It's not even all that CPU intensive anyway. The cheaper laptop has a CPU that's close to twice as fast as an 8650U for multi-core workloads plus a $200ish graphics card. There's other reasons to buy the more expensive, slower laptop but performance is definitely not one of them.

Quote:
Just not sure why you'd even mention. You know this isn't an enthusiast site. Very few people here are looking for a higher end gamer and if they are they'd mention that. As such, hardly anyone here is going to repaste anything.
That makes no sense. The thermals are much more of a concern if you're not going to UV and repaste with liquid metal than if you are.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't get it.
No, you don't.
To me there are 2 types of PC users. The 'gamer' and the 'avg user'.
The 'avg user' would LOVE that "SLOWER" 2 in 1. I know. Because I have one that is not even as good as that one. And it is A BEAST. At doing anything I ask of it. It even play lower end games well.

Quote:
That makes no sense. The thermals are much more of a concern if you're not going to UV and repaste with liquid metal than if you are.
No one needs to seriously worry about 'thermals'.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
No, you don't.
To me there are 2 types of PC users. The 'gamer' and the 'avg user'.
The 'avg user' would LOVE that "SLOWER" 2 in 1. I know. Because I have one that is not even as good as that one. And it is A BEAST. At doing anything I ask of it. It even play lower end games well.
No one needs to seriously worry about 'thermals'.
As I said, it's just something we disagree on. You'd call my Chomebook with its m3 processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 32 GB eMMC A BEAST. I like it. Good screen, good battery life, does everything I ask of it, which is your normal MS Office, browsing, video conference, email, binge watching Seinfeld. I just wouldn't call it a beast. But since I just don't try and do anything that requires actual compute chops with it, it's A BEAST MODE of a Chromebook. Okay, not. It's a total dog. But it can check emails like a champ.

And yes, people do take thermals into consideration. It doesn't matter to people that have to have $3,000 laptops to check email on, but it does matter for people that are spending $1,000 to $2,000 for a reason. Those 8750H gaming laptops run hot under real world combined CPU/GPU loads, typically 70-95C. So yeah, thermals do matter assuming you're actually using it and not just checking email on it. If you're just checking emails, well, that might be a waste of money. My $400ish Chromebook is a champ at emails.

It's just the problem with trying to say that all "average" users need the same computer. Resolve on my laptop, 8650U/GTX 1060, does work. It's pretty slow though even compared with my truly ancient mid-range i5 4th Gen desktop. Just the nature of slow ULV processors. They're very power efficient, but they aren't very fast. My grandmother though, well, she's more similar to you. She shops on Amazon, checks emails, and maybe streams a video now and again although mostly she uses DVDs. She's still rocking an iMac Beast with a Core Duo in it. Works for her, wouldn't for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers