Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 10:46 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Thank you, Reed. Of course those messages aren't there now but I'll bet they were. What I get today is an outline of how it does backups and when the latest were done (once an hour). Today, it has done backups at 9:29 and 10:28. Must be on eastern time or it is on standard time. Whatever, I begin to see. So, perhaps I interfered with one of its backups and we had a collision?

I must get out my Dummies and read up on this. Thanks again. Hazel
Re time stamps, it should be same as the Mini's date & time settings.

Again, check System Preference > Date& Time and review your settings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 10:51 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
The only time I shut down my tower is if I'm working on it or the odd time where I completely shut it down and do a hard restart. Other than that, it never gets powered off. I don't set it to sleep and it doesn't hibernate. Only thing it does is turns off my monitor after an hour or so.

I've gone months without physically turning it off. I reboot it every couple weeks, outside reboots after updates.
If I don't reboot for a long time (such as maybe a week) I find that some programs get a little klunky.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:32 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Re time stamps, it should be same as the Mini's date & time settings.

Again, check System Preference > Date& Time and review your settings.

I will, yes, Just tied up in something else right now. It is on my list to do. Hazel

Old 04-29-2021, 11:55 AM

3,507 posts, read 763,567 times
turn mine off everyday .. comes right back on the next day .. simply amazing ....

Old 04-29-2021, 01:23 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If I don't reboot for a long time (such as maybe a week) I find that some programs get a little klunky.
Yes, that happens. It is not a bad idea to reboot every now and then, specially after installing updates.

Old 04-29-2021, 01:41 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I am sorry. I cannot answer that last quesion because I do not know. I have never done anything with it. One time when the man who takes care of my machine wanted to look back to where I was working when a problem arose, asked me if I could tell him exactly when that was. I could not and he worked it out. Maybe I have two backups going? One just does backup if we have a computer crash; the other lets us deliberately move the computer back in time. (Who says we can't travel backward in time? <g>?)

As for my backup disc, yes, it is external and plugs in directly to my MacMini. And that is the wire that I pushed on to be sure it was all the way in or had worked loose. When I did that, the computer came alive. I can't imagine how a backup disk -which only backs up what I have done - can stop a computer from working and I may be wrong that it did. Just seemed that way.
More than likely there was a glitch when you touched or pushed the plug to make sure it was tight in place. The glitch probably was that the plug was momentarily disconnected from the computer., thus the warning about not "ejecting properly".

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-29-2021 at 02:00 PM..

Old 04-29-2021, 02:48 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,860 times
i haven't seen it mentioned, but i dislike on/off because of the stress supposedly put on device when expanding and contracting from heat...that concerns me more than power consumption

Old 04-30-2021, 05:19 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
i haven't seen it mentioned, but i dislike on/off because of the stress supposedly put on device when expanding and contracting from heat...that concerns me more than power consumption
Why does that concern you? Do you live in a place with extreme temperatures?

Old 04-30-2021, 07:14 PM

666 posts, read 423,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
I have seen this [two sided] debate unfold elsewhere on the web before. It always ends in two parties asserting that it is either more damaging to continually power a device on/off because of the thermal and electrical strain it places on components, or more damaging to leave a device on 24/7 because of... the thermal and electrical strain it places on components.
Both these phenemon are greatly overstated. And if the effects are of such concern to you, then the only thing which won't induce "wear" would simply be to never use the hardware at all. I can guarantee that either your interest in the device or the device's usefulness will not last nearly long enough to even begin to observe what these debates describe.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:45 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Why does that concern you? Do you live in a place with extreme temperatures?

the heat/cooling will cause stress, however i would think it very minor as in 3 years vs 5 years of service

while its a factor the truth is quality is extraordinary with micro circuitry these days, thousands if not millions of tiny circuits that run for years...

ten to 15 years ago as a pc tech it was not uncommon for fully 1/3 of the parts shipped to my job
to be DOA i am now on my third refurbished enterprise PC which only cost a few hundred dollars

and it is just easier to get another whole unit, unless its say ssd failure or video card failure

the average desktop draws less and less power as well (heat)..the fan on my current pc blows room temp air lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers