Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 11:59 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,380,690 times

Advertisements

Unbeknownst to me until last night, OneDrive had been "syncing" all my Document and Picture files. After a couple of hours work, I finally got all my files confined to only my hard drive and uninstalled OneDrive so that it hopefully never happens again. I don't want my files anywhere but my hard drive and my backup flash drive.

However, OneDrive still seems to be rearing its head. When I go to save an Excel (or Word) document, it pops up as an option ("OneDrive - Personal"). I don't want to even have that option show up as I don't want to have it saved there accidentally.

How do I get Excel and Word to quit showing this option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 12:39 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,677,078 times
Welcome to O365. OneDrive is baked into the apps, even if you uninstall it. You can make sure that your computer is always the default save location - File>Options>Save and check the box for save to computer by default, but OD is probably always going to be an option.

That said, nothing wrong with OneDrive, or keeping an offsite backup. Hard drives die and flash drives are just as unreliable in the long term. I keep all my docs backed up to a cloud solution now. I don't even bother with an external hard drive.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:59 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,380,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Welcome to O365. OneDrive is baked into the apps, even if you uninstall it. You can make sure that your computer is always the default save location - File>Options>Save and check the box for save to computer by default, but OD is probably always going to be an option.

That said, nothing wrong with OneDrive, or keeping an offsite backup. Hard drives die and flash drives are just as unreliable in the long term. I keep all my docs backed up to a cloud solution now. I don't even bother with an external hard drive.
Well I stumbled on the answer. Under Account / Account Privacy / Manage Settings, all you have to do is disable connected experiences and it will remove all connections to Microsoft server (except Outlook if you use it). Doing so removes the option to save to OneDrive!!!! Wahoo!!!

That said....I disagree with you on there being nothing wrong with OneDrive. It's just another opportunity for personal information to be hacked. No thank you. I keep data backed up on a flash drive and another PC. Three copies under my control beats a copy not under my control any day.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:19 PM

644 posts, read 402,235 times
LibreOffice does not sneakily siphon user data under the guise of convenience. I would encourage anyone to try it out.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:53 PM

8,275 posts, read 3,752,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
LibreOffice does not sneakily siphon user data under the guise of convenience. I would encourage anyone to try it out.
Yea, but then you're using libreoffice....

Old 04-30-2021, 09:33 PM

5,101 posts, read 6,012,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Yea, but then you're using libreoffice....

And the problem with that is??? It can save in MS formats it can read MS formats or you can use their formats. I have never had a problem working with Office documents except right after the new 2007 formats like .docx but I was able to use them on my LibreOffice before about 1/2 the people at my work had their machines upgraded to 2007 so the company was still using 2003 format for everything. I had coworkers coming to me to convert things they received from outside the company so they could use them (admittedly that was primarily an upper management problem)

I am curious what I am missing by using LibreOffice instead of MSOffice.

Old 04-30-2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
And the problem with that is??? It can save in MS formats it can read MS formats or you can use their formats. I have never had a problem working with Office documents except right after the new 2007 formats like .docx but I was able to use them on my LibreOffice before about 1/2 the people at my work had their machines upgraded to 2007 so the company was still using 2003 format for everything. I had coworkers coming to me to convert things they received from outside the company so they could use them (admittedly that was primarily an upper management problem)

I am curious what I am missing by using LibreOffice instead of MSOffice.
LibreOffice doesn't support the Open Office spec (docx, xlsx, etc.). It supports a subset of it.

If you need the basics and nothing more you may get by with LibreOffice. But if you're an intermediate user or power user, you're missing out on a lot of common features found in MS Word and Excel.

Old 05-01-2021, 01:11 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,304,738 times
Quote:
LibreOffice doesn't support the Open Office spec (docx, xlsx, etc.). It supports a subset of it.
What does that even mean?

I am sure, people that need it for their work or power users, would not mind coughing up the $$ for the annual subscription.

I strongly believe LO is more than adequate for home users. I have never heard anyone whom I recommended or installed LO complain about not being able to do something but, I am really curious to hear what they'd be missing out. Please do share.

Old 05-01-2021, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
What does that even mean?

I am sure, people that need it for their work or power users, would not mind coughing up the $$ for the annual subscription.

I strongly believe LO is more than adequate for home users. I have never heard anyone whom I recommended or installed LO complain about not being able to do something but, I am really curious to hear what they'd be missing out. Please do share.
People are taking this thread over by recommending LibreOffice when all the OP wanted was help with removing something from the menu of software he/she owns. Switching software for something so simple is not the proper solution. It's like these people have some sort of agenda. Fortunately, the OP found the solution they were looking for.

As for what LibreOffice doesn't have... your memory doesn't seem to be serving you well as it was already discussed in this thread in which you are a participant: https://www.city-data.com/forum/comp...oftware-3.html

Old 05-01-2021, 02:23 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,304,738 times
Quote:
People are taking this thread over by recommending LibreOffice when all the OP wanted was help with removing something from the menu of software he/she owns. Switching software for something so simple is not the proper solution. It's like these people have some sort of agenda. Fortunately, the OP found the solution they were looking for.
And for a good reason, I might add yet you seem to be equally and diligently voicing your anti-LO opinion every chance you get. Odd.

True, OP's issue is resolved but that is not what we are discussing.

Quote:
As for what LibreOffice doesn't have... your memory doesn't seem to be serving you well as it was already discussed in this thread in which you are a participant: https://www.city-data.com/forum/comp...oftware-3.html
On the contrary, I wanted to see if YOU remembered that thread.
On that thread, you pointed VBA functionality, is that really what people would be missing and your main reason for disapproval of LO? If so, I don't think we should discuss this any further.

I agree with all others who recommend LibreOffice for average home users who just want to open/view/edit/create MS Office files. It is much lighter on the system, works really well and no sneaky telemetry tasks running in the background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers