Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2021, 09:07 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,174,950 times

Advertisements

I have dual monitors and each monitor is only 1920*1080 https://www1.la.dell.com/tc/en/corp/...-e2414h&s=corp

For this monitor https://www.amazon.com/LG-27UN850-W-...dp/B08CVTTNN4/, it has 3840 x 2160. If a webpage is very long and with fixed width, does it mean: there will be twice content can be visible on this screen than mine? Or it only means quality of screen. Since this monitor is not high, only 17.7" (maybe with stand), while my monitor is about 12" height (WITHOUT stand), about 21" width. So this monitor is only slightly larger than my monitor. It is only 27" monitor, and mine is 24", not much difference in size.

I am looking for a monitor which can show a lot more content vertically(not concern about image quality much), in stead of scrolling up and down. Particularly for Desktop Thinkorswim software, and I want to show quite some gadget vertically.

Thanks.

Last edited by Baike; 05-08-2021 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 10:44 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times
Higher resolution means more little dots per inch (dpi) of screen. The larger the physical screen, the more dpi it takes for the image to be "crisp" and details to be distinguishable.

IE: When you look at an 18" wide (tape measurement width) screen, with (say) 1920*1080 dpi, and then look at one that's 26" wide with the same dpi, the larger screen will look like it was drawn with crayons in comparison.

So you have to be concerned about the resolution, as a larger screen with the same dpi will be much harder to read.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Higher resolution means more little dots per inch (dpi) of screen. The larger the physical screen, the more dpi it takes for the image to be "crisp" and details to be distinguishable.

IE: When you look at an 18" wide (tape measurement width) screen, with (say) 1920*1080 dpi, and then look at one that's 26" wide with the same dpi, the larger screen will look like it was drawn with crayons in comparison.

So you have to be concerned about the resolution, as a larger screen with the same dpi will be much harder to read.
How about a not too big monitor with 4K resolution (3840 x 2160)? Such as above LG monitor.

Take this page https://www.lib.umd.edu/architecture/research-tools for example: most webpage comes with fixed width, and it fits most monitor resolution setting, page on the center and blank on two sides. This is what is appears on my 1920*1080 monitor, from the length of scrollbar, more than half of page shows up on my monitor (see attached screenshot). If I want to see more content, then I will need to scroll down. Now the question is: if I use the 3840 * 2160 monitor to display this webpage, does it mean "the whole webpage(including footer content) can show up in the monitor without scrolling down"? Since 2160 is twice as 1080.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
What does resolution mean?-screenshot.jpg  

Old 05-08-2021, 11:29 AM

I think I become a little bit clear what I need: I need a large monitor with 3840 x 2160 resolution. With 2160 vertically, it should show a lot of content vertically. But the monitor should be at least 40". If a less than 30" monitor comes with 3840 x 2160 resolution, the font looks small.

Monitor should also be not too heavy, since I am using this Height Adjustable Standing Desk Converter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSZQLML/. Hopefully, the monitor is ultra thin and less than 20 lbs, otherwise it is a little heavy to adjust up and down, sometimes I am sitting and sometimes I am standing. If considering weight, I probably should go with monitor less than 40", it is hard to find a light weight monitor of more than 40".

Last edited by Baike; 05-08-2021 at 12:34 PM..

Old 05-09-2021, 05:59 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times
Something I didn't think to mention:
Your monitor works off a signal coming from either a graphics card (aka GPU) or directly from your motherboard if you don't have a graphics card installed.
Your GPU should recognize which specific monitor(s) you have plugged in, and will know the possible options it (they each) can handle:

In Windows, right-click on a blank part of the desktop and

select DISPLAY SETTINGS
find DISPLAY RESOLUTION and the resolutions shown will be those that the GPU/monitor combination can handle.
You may need to get a better GPU to handle resolutions higher than 1920x1080.

BE CAUTIONED, there is a BitCoining mining craze going on now, and GPUs can be made to do this, so high-level GPU prices have skyrocketed and availability plummeted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers