Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 10:12 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,414,198 times

Advertisements

I've been saying from the beginning when 11 was announced. It sounds like Win 11 is Win 10 with a new skin. Improved functionality is what I seek. Not that Win 10 is that bad but the constant updates breaking things is still going on. It sounds like they ran out of things to change so they move things around. Question is why?

You may ask yourself, what is behind the new windows version? Is it money/revenue for Microsoft? I doubt it since they are giving it away as an upgrade to many Windows 10 users. OEM sales with new PCs?, they already have that with Win 10. There's more to it.

Could it be something under the hood they are not revealing? Spying of some sort? I also doubt that since Windows 10 already does that.

There is always a trickle down effect with new OS releases. As in new hardware and software requirements, upgrades etc. More money for the hardware and software vendors for sure. How does that help MS? Why would they need a new OS?

Windows 10 goes EOL in 2025. I will wait. I couldn't care less about a new look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 11:03 AM

16,483 posts, read 19,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I've been saying from the beginning when 11 was announced. It sounds like Win 11 is Win 10 with a new skin. Improved functionality is what I seek. Not that Win 10 is that bad but the constant updates breaking things is still going on. It sounds like they ran out of things to change so they move things around. Question is why?

You may ask yourself, what is behind the new windows version? Is it money/revenue for Microsoft? I doubt it since they are giving it away as an upgrade to many Windows 10 users.
Oh, count on it, this is why.
If you buy a brand new computer with Windows 11 Home Edition YOU CAN NO LONGER SKIP MICROSOFT ACCOUNT CREATION. Sucking you right in to get an account so you can spend money on MS software and services even easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Such as the right-click context menu, you can't right click on a text file and edit anymore without editing the registry to restore that functionality.
RIGHT CLICK > SHOW MORE OPTIONS > EDIT.

I love the new right click menu.

Old 11-10-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Oh, count on it, this is why.
If you buy a brand new computer with Windows 11 Home Edition YOU CAN NO LONGER SKIP MICROSOFT ACCOUNT CREATION. Sucking you right in to get an account so you can spend money on MS software and services even easier.
I don't think so. Maybe for some, not for me or most people I know. I always buy Pro and don't use a MS account. We are on a domain. I'm pretty sure many (millions?) of corporate users don't use a MS account either. Even if I did use a MS account to login to windows, what makes you think I would buy anything from their app store?

For those that do use Home edition it still doesn't make sense AT ALL. Just because you have to create an account (which many already have) does not automatically mean they will spend money on Microsoft apps store. Even if they did, how much money do you think they make from selling apps?

What kind of software or services are we talking about that are supposed to make so much money for Microsoft? We buy Office but that's about it. Home users don't even need that. They can get Libre office or something.

You can login and install without an account. There is a workaround if you look. Many probably would not but even if you create an account when you install it, you can switch back to a local login after that. Doesn't do much for them does it?

Old 11-10-2021, 01:38 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,556,432 times
Quote:

That's one extra click and movement than before I do right-click > EDIT.

So registry hack to fix this old functionality.

Old 11-10-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I don't think so.
Seriously?
Here we go...
Quote:
Maybe for some, not for me or most people I know. I always buy Pro and don't use a MS account.
MILLIONS of people use Microsoft Home. I don't know a SOUL that uses Pro at home. I don't even use Pro at home. Why do I need Pro at home? I don't. Neither do you. and I seriously doubt MOST people you know have Pro at home.
Quote:
We are on a domain. I'm pretty sure many (millions?) of corporate users don't use a MS account either.
Yea, at work. These people have home computers, too?!?! You think they use Corporate accounts at home? Or they don't use computers at home?
Quote:
Even if I did use a MS account to login to windows, what makes you think I would buy anything from their app store?
I'm not talking about you then. But MILLIONS, literal MILLIONS of people already do. And 11 is going to drive more people to it. Maybe not a lot more, but surely some. MS is playing the long game here. They've been smoked by both Apple and Google and are slowly but surely doing the same thing those 2 companies did.
Quote:
For those that do use Home edition it still doesn't make sense AT ALL. Just because you have to create an account (which many already have) does not automatically mean they will spend money on Microsoft apps store.
No, but some will. Playing the LONG GAME. Some people don't even turn off SUGGESTIONS in the Start Menu. And y'know, they take you to the Windows App Store.
Quote:
Even if they did, how much money do you think they make from selling apps?

Are you kidding? Apple makes literal BILLIONS off the app store. You don't think MS wants a cut of that? MS is SO desperate to get people to its store, it is giving Developers 95% of the profits for any in app purchases. MS still gets 15% of every upfront purchase.

Quote:
What kind of software or services are we talking about that are supposed to make so much money for Microsoft? We buy Office but that's about it. Home users don't even need that. They can get Libre office or something.
Why are you comparing every body with what YOU do? Have you even been in the Windows App Store? No, obviously. It's actually pretty good... ok -ish. Good-ish. What Apps? Even Apple has gone with the Windows App store when you want to download iTunes.
https://www.apple.com/itunes/
If you want to download it outside of the Windows App Store, you have to scroll down and find the tiny text "Looking for other versions?"
ALL of this is just ONE reason MS wants you to have an account with them. Have an account? Hey hey hey, that gives you an email account with them too! Synchronize your accounts a to every PC you use! Add your phone to windows so you can text from your computer! MS account required!
MS is trying to get you to be in their own walled garden now... like Apple. And to a lesser extent...Google.
Yea, the app store has flat out sucked for a long time. But it gets used. And it's improving. And developers will be developing more for it.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/5/22...-desktop-win32
And it isn't all bad, either. Really.
You buy or download for free a bunch of apps. You get a new computer... oh man, I gotta' reinstall all that? NOOOO! Just login to the store, just like Google and Apple! There are all your apps! Booyah!

Quote:
You can login and install without an account. There is a workaround if you look. Many probably would not but even if you create an account when you install it, you can switch back to a local login after that.
Sure. Even harder then before, but sure.

Quote:
Doesn't do much for them does it?
Big picture. Long game.

Old 11-10-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
That's one extra click and movement than before I do right-click > EDIT.

So registry hack to fix this old functionality.
Yea, and it's way less clutter and the things I use 90% of the time are in that smaller window (cut, copy, open with).
I don't need that big menu every time I right click. I LIKE this change. Love, in fact.

Old 11-10-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Seriously?
Here we go...

SNIP...
Nah. I don't fall for it.

Here is where Microsoft gets their revenue. Office is listed and that would be the major app that makes them a lot of money. I see no mention of the app store. That's peanuts.

Quote:
Productivity and Business Processes
Microsoft's Productivity and Business Processes segment includes a portfolio of products designed to enhance corporate productivity, communication, and information services. One of its major products is Microsoft's Office software suite, including both the Commercial and Consumer divisions. The segment also includes business solutions products such as Dynamics as well as the professional networking site, LinkedIn.4

In FY 2021, Productivity and Business Processes generated $53.9 billion in revenue, comprising 32% of Microsoft's total revenue. This amounted to an increase of 16.2% from the previous year. Operating income for the segment grew 30.1% to $24.4 billion in FY 2021, accounting for less than 35% of the total.5

Intelligent Cloud
The Intelligent Cloud segment comprises all of Microsoft's public, private, and hybrid server products as well as cloud services for business. These include Microsoft Azure, SQL Server, Windows Server, GitHub, Enterprise Services, and more.6

For FY 2021, Intelligent Cloud generated $60.1 billion in revenue, accounting for almost 36% of total revenue. Up 24.2% compared to the prior year, Intelligent Cloud was the fastest-growing revenue segment for the year. It was also the fastest-growing segment in terms of operating income, which was up 42.6% to $26.1 billion. Intelligent Cloud operating income accounts for just over 37% of Microsoft's total operating income, making it the most profitable of the company's three segments.5

More Personal Computing
Microsoft describes its More Personal Computing segment as consisting of products and services aiming toward putting "customers at the center of the experience with our technology." The Windows operating system, Surface device, and gaming products are all included in this segment.7

In FY 2021, More Personal Computing generated $54.1 billion in revenue, comprising about 32% of total revenue. While revenue grew 12.1% for the segment, operating income rose 22.2% to $19.4 billion. More Personal Computing accounts for about 28% of the company's total operating income.5
https://www.investopedia.com/how-mic...-money-4798809

I still don't see how Windows 11 figures into this. It's sure not from getting everybody to sign up for a Microsoft account and spending millions in their app store and I know Apple makes BILLIONS of theirs, but that's different.

Here's another list from a different web site, 2020 stats.

Office products and cloud Services 25.81%
Server products and cloud services 26.34%
Windows 16.17%
Gaming 7.73%
Search advertising 6.25%
LinkedIn 5.55%
Devices 4.65%
Enterprise services 5.04%
Other 2.45%

https://businessquant.com/microsoft-revenue-by-product

Last edited by gguerra; 11-10-2021 at 02:53 PM..

Old 11-10-2021, 03:52 PM

166 posts, read 94,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Ah...no...they notified me I could not run it.
Same, on my 2015 PC, under Windows Update, it now has a message stating this PC doesn't meet requirements for Windows 11 "Get the details and see if there are things you can do in the PC Health Check app." Well it may be upgradeable but haven't even run that app because intend to stay with Windows 10 as long as it's supported. So yes, it's checking your PC and sending this notification under Updates whether you want to know or not.

Also, bought a new PC as a backup in August w/Windows 10 purposely to avoid one w/11 pre-installed. Can upgrade this one later if desired but no plans to after reading reviews. Also set it up without a Microsoft account...have reasons + don't use Onedrive, Outlook, etc.

Old 11-10-2021, 11:15 PM

61,314 posts, read 86,235,551 times
Quote:
I've used Win11 for a few days, it's not bad but not my cup of tea so far. They make some of the easiest tasks in the past harder.

Such as the right-click context menu, you can't right click on a text file and edit anymore without editing the registry to restore that functionality.

So like Macs, Win11 tries to dumb down on stuff but made it worse imo. If I wanted a dumb down interface I use MacOS, when I want to do work efficiently I need Windows to allow me to control my interface easily.

After a few tweaks I get Win11 to behave like Win10 but the blatant design problem I have is the dock and tool bar is stuck at the bottom. Often I pin the toolbar on the top or the side depending on the form factor, this one design change make Windows like MacOS.

So I'm sticking with Win10 just like most offices until they figure out how to unstick the toolbar and other design problems.

Just like past windows, a good version always follows with a bad version then a good version to replace the complaints.

Win95 - good
Vista - Bad
7 - Good
8 - Bad
10- Good
11- Bad?
12- Good?
You forgot Windows 9.
It was so bad, they didn't even promote it

Old 11-11-2021, 04:49 AM

15,402 posts, read 25,681,421 times
Quote:

Do you just mouseover SHOW MORE OPTIONS and it shows, or do you have to click to see more options? I prefer mouseover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers