Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 07:32 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,036 times

Advertisements

A lot of great insight and comments here in this thread -- thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2023, 11:51 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, you need to be more specific. On the latest 11 and no clue what you mean.

It's not the height. It's:

#1 Pretty much the very first thing I always turned off in W10 after "Show Suggestions in Start Menu" was, "SHOW LABELS ON TASKBAR, COMBINE ONLY WHEN FULL" or whatever the exact wording is. When I have several Outlook or Word windows open it's easier to find the one I want. Rumor is this feature is coming back.
If you're not sure what I mean,
https://beebom.com/how-set-windows-1...never-combine/
#2 Being able to move the taskbar to the sides or the top.
Got it.
I need to use my laptop more to get into W11, but I keep it mostly for travel.

#2. Yeah, for years I kept the taskbar on the left side of my screen, and then just stopped doing it. Not sure why, because I liked it. Maybe the move to multiple monitors led me to doing that.

Old 04-11-2023, 06:14 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,568,656 times
Another pointless and annoying change is moving the volume indicator popup from the upper left corner of the screen to the lower center. Now my hand hides the indicator bar when I reach for the volume keys. How hard could it be to include the option to move the volume bar to wherever you want it?

Old 04-12-2023, 11:03 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Got it.
#2. Yeah, for years I kept the taskbar on the left side of my screen, and then just stopped doing it. Not sure why, because I liked it. Maybe the move to multiple monitors led me to doing that.

I actually used it more when I went to 2 monitors. You could set on far left and one far right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Another pointless and annoying change is moving the volume indicator popup from the upper left corner of the screen to the lower center. Now my hand hides the indicator bar when I reach for the volume keys. How hard could it be to include the option to move the volume bar to wherever you want it?

Damn, I hadn't noticed that one until now. I mean, I'm ok with it, but yea, that's an odd UI change.

Old 04-12-2023, 01:35 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
I am not sure why but I am not seeing this on the vm Win11?

On the Win10 system, for as long as I had the current monitor, the volume indicator always showed on the left top corner as a vertical bar which I really like.
The only time this changed to lower right corner was when I installed Logitech's SetPoint app to test something. When I uninstalled the app, it changed back to let top corner again.

Old 04-12-2023, 03:08 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,568,656 times
This is what I see.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 11 annoyances-screenshot-2-.png  

Old 04-12-2023, 09:13 PM

Wow, that is annoying indeed, especially if it was on top of the screen where it really should be.
I will have to check some other machines with Windows 11 to see how it displays there.

At the very least, I like the volume bar displaying vertically in Windows 10 which made more sense.
Windows 11 displays is horizontally which is not that good imo. Bunch of different tweakers I tried (mentioned in my first post on this thread), can actually change its position but location on the screen is another story. Not sure if there is a fix for it yet.

Oddly enough, sometimes I work on brand new laptops that came with Window 11 and the image of Windows 11 on them are so different than the latest version. The earlier version of Windows 11 actually looked more like Windows 10 and was definitely more "likeable". Some features were available that are no longer available and vice versa. Also menus (even the right-click context) looked much better then...

Old 04-13-2023, 04:46 AM

230 posts, read 189,866 times
There is an excellent video here https://youtu.be/eeKLzxxxJ0w that will let you make Windows 11 work like Windows 10.

Old 04-14-2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingupnorth View Post
There is an excellent video here https://youtu.be/eeKLzxxxJ0w that will let you make Windows 11 work like Windows 10.
Very good video but I think it's more suitable for IT pros and tech savvy users.

I used to suggest fixes and tweaks via modifying registry and sometimes other regulars would give me grief for it.
I eventually realized how dangerous it might be for novice users. I am very comfortable with registry but still very careful and I backup before doing any kind of work in it.
Despite my warnings, a novice user might render their system inoperable by a single mistake and would not know how to restore it.
So, unless there is no other way, I refrain from mentioning going into Windows Registry.

Nowadays, I find it much more practical and quicker to simply use a good tweaking app to accomplish the same things. It would also be equally easy and fast to revert the changes if needed.

The freeware I mentioned in post #15 is a really good app that can customize and change a lot of related settings to look/behave like Windows 10.

Old 04-19-2023, 12:14 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,709 times
Just built a new machine and put win11 on it. Sound bar is in the top left for me. Thats about the only thing thats right. So many crashes. Not sure if video card drivers, win 11 or something else. Thinking about going back to win10 and see if things improve.

Some other annoyances. Not being able to remove recommended section from start menu. Fix real estate for pinned items on the start menu. I have dual monitors, sometimes need to disable 1. When I put it back, Win10 would move all my windows back to the primary. Win11 does not. Then I have to drag windows back to the monitor I want them on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers