U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2008, 09:46 PM
jsi jsi started this thread

1 posts, read 2,570 times
Default fixing a computer in safemode

Hey guys I am new to the forum, so if I retread on past issues I am very and deeply sorry,
I am in no way a computer guru, so when my computer started acting up I came here. Anyways, I let my room mate borrow my computer while I was on vacation because his was not working...bad idea.

Currently I can start up my computer every third try about, only to have it freeze up. I was able to download a trial version of ca antivirus before my computer completely crapped out on me. My previous spyware and anti-viruses went out of date a while back so my computer has been open to the world.

So, I was wondering if any of you knew how to help me in my dillemia. I currently have my compute up and running in safe mode and running a virus scan. Can I do anything else and/or should I do anything else?

Thanks
J
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 11:52 PM

5,069 posts, read 5,420,894 times
I suggest you wait awhile before doing the following in case somebody else has a better idea...

If you have Nortons, disable it and then try system restore.
Click Start, Control panel, click category view (easier), click performance and maintenance. Then in the upper left hand box, click system restore. Set the date back to a date before you went on vacation, if possible. Look for one in bold. It should change everything back to the way it was before you friend got hold of your computer.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:47 AM

11,102 posts, read 24,036,806 times
"Currently I can start up my computer every third try about, only to have it freeze up."

What operating system? XP Home, XP Pro, Vista, Win 2000, Win 98SE, Linux?

Are you saying it freezes once it has completely booted, or that it doesn't finish the boot? Are there any POST beeps? What brand computer? What brand BIOS? Any new hardware installed or attached? Laptop or desktop?

Old 06-05-2008, 07:52 AM

389 posts, read 1,257,589 times
i agree with the restore solution. it ALWAYS works. but it would also be helpful to ask your room mate what exactly did he do? why is your perfectly working PC is now fawked up. that way you will know exactly what problem to solve.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:48 PM

734 posts, read 1,256,564 times
It may be spyware. Known to freeze up your system, slows down speed, etc. If so, it probably has been in your system for a while and only begun wrecking havoc. Give us more details so that we can better help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers