U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Buy a computer: CRT monitor , laptop display, taxes, dell, USB hard drive.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:14 PM

2,621 posts, read 7,531,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I need some advice. I love technology but I am not a computer geek so whatever I get needs to have some good customer service to back it up.

I prefer using a laptop because I have a wireless modum and I can use it anywhere in the house. I probably won't have the money to purchase both a laptop AND a desk top.

I had thought about getting a really good laptop AND an external harddrive that I could keep on my desk. I already have one of those stands that my printer/scanner, my mouse and keyboard plugs into so I can use them at my desk.

I'm into music, photography, photoshop. I play games but not things like World of Warcraft, most of my gaming is console based.

I am returning to school in the fall and will want to be able to take a laptop to class with me so I can take notes and do homework etc.

I have looked into Dell laptops because I always heard they have good customer service. They sell a NICE gaming laptop for $2,000. What would be the point in someone like me who doesn't play that kind of game, investing in that kind of laptop? Are there other uses that I might find helpful for the extra bells and whistles on a laptop like that?
Regarding Dell, you are better off with the XPS and Dell Business Latitude computers. They have better customer service. I have a Latitude D620 which is still doing well.

However, considering the dropping prices, I would seriously consider laptops 1/2 that price. If you're a student there is the Academic Purchase Program:
https://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...egister_app.do

Apple has something similar for Macs. Since you do photoshop, a Mac may suit you better.

I just bought a $550 laptop for my 7 year old (2nd computer) and it works well.

Unless you do engineering or gaming, spare the extra expense and get a budget laptop.

Compare prices for retail store sales at SalesCircular will show what is on sale each week.

--
As a student you are better off with a USB hard drive like the Western Digital Passport or Sandisk Firelite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 11:21 PM

32 posts, read 71,073 times
Wink Here are my thoughts for you...

quote=Lindsey_Mcfarren;3996917]I need some advice. I love technology but I am not a computer geek so whatever I get needs to have some good customer service to back it up.

I prefer using a laptop because I have a wireless modum and I can use it anywhere in the house. I probably won't have the money to purchase both a laptop AND a desk top.

I had thought about getting a really good laptop AND an external harddrive that I could keep on my desk. I already have one of those stands that my printer/scanner, my mouse and keyboard plugs into so I can use them at my desk.

I'm into music, photography, photoshop. I play games but not things like World of Warcraft, most of my gaming is console based.

I am returning to school in the fall and will want to be able to take a laptop to class with me so I can take notes and do homework etc.

I have looked into Dell laptops because I always heard they have good customer service. They sell a NICE gaming laptop for $2,000. What would be the point in someone like me who doesn't play that kind of game, investing in that kind of laptop? NONE Are there other uses that I might find helpful for the extra bells and whistles on a laptop like that?[/quote]
================================================== =====
Hi Lindsey_Mcfarren,

It sounds to me you have a pretty good Idea of what you want, indeed why spend a $2000 on a MONSTER of a machine if you will most likely NEVER use its potential.

If you need a car to get from A - B you do not need or want a Ferrari, a smaller car might do the trick more efficiently and CHEAPER.

As you indicated, you want PORTABILITY for school, thus use a text editor and no more...

Second, edit?? Photosís and play music as in MP3ís?

YOU started with that you need GOOD customer service, I keep reading DELL and I must agree they do have good support, or used to....

I was an IT administrator at a company and they all had Dellís all over the place and the few times I needed some help they were above and beyond helpful.

I also had two DESKTOP from Dell @ home, my wifeís had a problem with her machine, she called DELL (as she had 3 yrs on-site warranty) and within a week an outsourced USA computer tech came by and replaced the motherboard at no cost.

As they call it ON-SITE warranty is what you need for good support.

I'm no longer aware if they (Dell) still has ON-SITE Warranty with systems but indeed try going the Business route and ASK QUESTIONS, they are happy to help, if not call back so you get to speak with a different person.

Thus the DESKTOP Part and Dell service experience from my end.

Laptop wise, here some feedback from a few years back that I am happy to share with you....

IF you want to go for a LAPTOP go HP, or Hewlett Packard.

Again from experience, DELL = great for DESKTOPS but HP is better for LAPTOPS!!! Mind you this statement was made by a Dell sales person, admitting HP has better deals, so that too was nice and fair, maybe some might think stupid, I think honest from Dell...not sure about the SUPPORT you are looking for @ HP. Also look for DEALS on Thursdays at DELL website, is the day they usually have great deals... and keep the holidays in mind with 5% - 25% coupon off price etc...

Every one makes good suggestions in here..... MAC well that is an unknown field for me, I just know they are indeed expensive and well.... ask yourself this question, what will they use at the school you will be attending as in programs etc? (MAC or WINDOWS)

You might also ask for some help from the Schools IT department, I'm sure they might give you some interesting suggestions. Other thing is as usual, what are the system requirements for the software programs you want to run? I was thinking HP for a Laptop, Dell for a desktop.

I went with a GATEWAY, as they gave the most BANG for the BUCK and I can manage my Laptop easy of course as I am working with these 'puppies' for over 15 yrs.

FYI, I have a Gateway model M-6834 that I upgraded myself (Of course) Maxed out the memory so its of 4GB Ram and a 250 GB hard drive, I too do what you do or want to do with the computer(s) and I am liking this laptop just fine, was only $650 @ the time. In addition, indeed CRT's (old fashion tube monitor) are still the best for colors etc, and photo editing. Well I use a 22" LCD screen from my self build monster Desktop hehe

More bells and whistles for a $2000 machine/Laptop uhmmm maybe last longer for what you might want to do in the possible future ?? But then again, technology goes FAST and lots of much better changes are coming our way, (have my sources) so buy something for your need at this time and when ever you need more power and features invest in a new machine, save your money for THEN and get something that will suffice for the NOW with 3GB memory and 250 or 320 GB hard disk.

So, Desktop Dell with ON-SITE WARRANTY
Laptop HP with on-site or budget consider Gateway.

I better stop here, I hope you don't mind the 'overload' feed back.
Good luck, OH btw STAY AWAY from upgrading warranty at places like Best Buy or Circuit City if you get one from such like places, I read bad things and it is a waist of money, use only manufacturer warranty last tip..

Sincerely,

Ameridutchman

Old 06-06-2008, 12:42 AM

12,094 posts, read 10,918,831 times
I've had excellent experiences with Lenovo models, specifically T60 and T61. I used to work at Stanford, and these models sold like hotcakes and the students were very pleased with them after putting them through the paces.

I have a Dell desktop at home, and it has given me great service as well. Don't know much about the reliability of the Dell laptops, but Stanford stocks them so they must be pretty reliable.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:00 AM

10,593 posts, read 22,509,098 times
I appreciate all the feedback.
I used to live near an old friend who is a geek of the first order, he could fix or sort out any problem I had but that is no longer the case. I am on my own sorting out the computer issues.

I know when I first started using a laptop the smaller keyboard through me off but now I'm used to it. I no longer like having to sit at my desk to use the computer, I like being able to wander about the house.

I will def. check out the Business laptops with Dell and the HP laptops as well. I am not going to purchase a computer from someone who is going to route me to Pakistan or India for customer service, that is just going to make me mad.

I have never used a Mac and maybe someday but I don't think at this point in my life I am up to learning a new system.

The other thing about a gaming computer is the better sound card right? Well I don't use the speakers on my computer. I do at times plug my computer in, in my office where I have a BOSE speaker system with subwoofer, that can blast it all over the house. If I am running around and want music, I have a nice set of head phones I can plug in and use. I will probably be getting an Ipod as well so there won't be any music on my laptop at that point. I backup my music to CD at this point. I will be getting an external hard drive also.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:58 PM

19,410 posts, read 22,467,878 times
Quote:
I appreciate all the feedback.
I used to live near an old friend who is a geek of the first order, he could fix or sort out any problem I had but that is no longer the case. I am on my own sorting out the computer issues.

I know when I first started using a laptop the smaller keyboard through me off but now I'm used to it. I no longer like having to sit at my desk to use the computer, I like being able to wander about the house.

I will def. check out the Business laptops with Dell and the HP laptops as well. I am not going to purchase a computer from someone who is going to route me to Pakistan or India for customer service, that is just going to make me mad.

I have never used a Mac and maybe someday but I don't think at this point in my life I am up to learning a new system.

The other thing about a gaming computer is the better sound card right? Well I don't use the speakers on my computer. I do at times plug my computer in, in my office where I have a BOSE speaker system with subwoofer, that can blast it all over the house. If I am running around and want music, I have a nice set of head phones I can plug in and use. I will probably be getting an Ipod as well so there won't be any music on my laptop at that point. I backup my music to CD at this point. I will be getting an external hard drive also.
Good luck with that. Every time I hear so and so company has support here and I call, well you know the story.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:05 PM

42,614 posts, read 46,420,892 times
Now days change so quickly that I jst buy what will get me by. I quit using Dell when their service and system satrted give trouble. I just bought a new CPU at wal-mart and am very happy with it for what I do.I had a Mac at work but never really wanted one at home especailly for the price difference. Also my wife and I have new computers with Vista and it works great and isa very stable.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:42 AM

389 posts, read 1,319,266 times
to the OP: too bad you don't wanna try MAC. coz the other posters are right. MAC fits what you say u will be using it for. ive been a pc user through and through and wanted to convert to mac.. i even was looking at their mac mini for awhile. it was toss up between mac mini and their laptop.. until i bought gps.. and hacked it to use as a PDA.. i can WIFI on my gps too and more.. so now my mac conversion has come to a stop. temporarily?? who knows.. im a gadget tech junkie dork or geek. i am with you though with learning new system thing.. when i went to apple store.. i dont even know what the icon is to go to internet... and they call it safari.. not IE. cool.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:29 PM

19,410 posts, read 22,467,878 times
Every time I see this thread I think, me too!

Old 07-27-2008, 11:31 AM

1,955 posts, read 3,318,365 times
Quote:
Your "learning" will consist of several hours, perhaps a day of getting used to a much more intuitive environment.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:58 PM

646 posts, read 1,130,924 times
I think the OP is on the right track with going through Dell's small business division and/or HP. I happen to prefer HP because you can get more bang for your buck. Definitely don't spend more than $1200. Don't fall for the upselling. For the type of user you are it is a waste of money to get such an expensive laptop. I would focus on getting a dual core processor which has great battery life. those are the two most important areas to look at in my opinion. good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers