Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 04:35 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times

Advertisements

I have a Dell computer that has windows 98SE operating system with 256mb of memory. I want to put in a DVD burner and bought one from Newegg that I was told would work. Well it doesn't. I looked on the box and it requires window 2000 and up and 512mb of memory. I looked on their website and they say nothing about the operating system. Is there one out there for my system, if not how about a player only? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 06:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
Hmm, I don't recall ever seeing a DVD burner in a Win98 machine. You know they're beyond obsolete, right? I imagine it would depend on the software (Nero, NTI, Roxio, Sonic, etc) being able to run on Win98. You'll also might have a problem with such an old machine being able to feed the burner fast enough. Playing a DVD on Win98 will work as long as you have a software player that's compatible. If the DVD-ROM doesn't come with one, you might try a free one called VLC Media player. It might be choppy though, again because Win98 machines are so slow.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:35 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,068,523 times
DVD burner in a Win98 machine is not a problem...... I would guess the software that comes with it is for win 2000 and up.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:30 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,164,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I have a Dell computer that has windows 98SE operating system with 256mb of memory. I want to put in a DVD burner and bought one from Newegg that I was told would work. Well it doesn't. I looked on the box and it requires window 2000 and up and 512mb of memory. I looked on their website and they say nothing about the operating system. Is there one out there for my system, if not how about a player only? Thanks for the help.
Google DVD burning software Windows 98. That should give you some leads.

Install more RAM as well. You'll definitely need it for burning DVDs.

Old 07-09-2022, 09:14 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
The majority of modern cases don't even come with 5.25 inch drive bays. That would be fine if they had enough extra USB ports built into the front but they never do, necessitating the installation of third party ones such as these...

https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-5-2.../dp/B07T5QQZG4

In any case, I really wish this forum would autolock threads after 6 months of inactivity. It's the only one on the internet that encourages necroing decade old posts.

DVDs hold 4.35GB of Data, while blu-rays hold something like 25GB... I can get a flash drive that holds 128GB for 20 bucks, or a micro-sd card.

Old 07-09-2022, 09:46 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,685 times
I really cant imagine a real need to burn dvds on a win98 machine. My memory not that good. Win98 didnt handle USB very well, remember the days of one usb port if you were lucky... But the could burn cds so I imagine there is software that runs on win98 that could burn a dvd. Or just mount the win98 partition with a newer system and copy/burn the files to dvd on it.

As to usb thumbdrive doing everything, why waste a $25 usb drive for something that can be stored on a 25cent dvd? I have more important uses for usb drive than storing files for ten years. I can tell you that floppy disks are not a good long term storage medium. LOL I do remember vaguely using file splitter program to store big file on multiple floppies. You could buy win95 on multiple installation floppies, cant remember if they ever sold version win98 on floppies or if it was always only offered on cd?

Old 07-09-2022, 03:46 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
Data should never be archived on optical drive media for long term storage. The laser stores data by melting the data into a layer of dye. The chemicals in the dye layer aren't completely stable and will break down over time, and the disk will become unreadable. Also, the reflective layer will eventually oxidize, making the data difficult to read. Commercially produced single-burn CDs and DVDs are made and written differently than the burn-at-home technology and they last much longer.

Because the chemicals in the dye break down at different rates depending on environmental factors, there is no known lifespan for optical data. When they did studies it was estimated to be between 2 and 100 years depending on temperature, humidity, and exposure to light and other factors and varied wildly between different manufacturers or where the disks were produced. I have some that are about 10 years old that can no longer be read.

Edited to add: I'm not clear from this thread is the issue of needing an old DVD drive or software for one. If it's an old drive you need I probably have one you can have.

Also, a good takeaway is that there is no data storage that is fool proof. There are people who are making records "permanent" by putting it on blockchains, but even that is making a lot of assumptions.

Last edited by terracore; 07-09-2022 at 03:56 PM..

Old 08-24-2022, 06:51 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,564,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sde s View Post
Well im glad to see someone else running 98se my friend,its my favourite OS!!!

I didnt realise you can do DVD stuff on it,that must be pushing the limits of the OS...

And trlhiker I hope still has his.. (I see when he posted this thread)

Not many of us 98ers out here...........

Welcome to city-data Spackle5
You're responding to a 14 year old post.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:22 PM

15,417 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I really cant imagine a real need to burn dvds on a win98 machine. My memory not that good. Win98 didnt handle USB very well, remember the days of one usb port if you were lucky... But the could burn cds so I imagine there is software that runs on win98 that could burn a dvd. Or just mount the win98 partition with a newer system and copy/burn the files to dvd on it.

As to usb thumbdrive doing everything, why waste a $25 usb drive for something that can be stored on a 25cent dvd? I have more important uses for usb drive than storing files for ten years. I can tell you that floppy disks are not a good long term storage medium. LOL I do remember vaguely using file splitter program to store big file on multiple floppies. You could buy win95 on multiple installation floppies, cant remember if they ever sold version win98 on floppies or if it was always only offered on cd?
Flash drives are cheap. Here's a Micro Center 64GB one for $5.99 https://www.microcenter.com/product/...1)-flash-drive

Old 08-26-2022, 07:49 PM

2,019 posts, read 1,312,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Data should never be archived on optical drive media for long term storage. The laser stores data by melting the data into a layer of dye. The chemicals in the dye layer aren't completely stable and will break down over time, and the disk will become unreadable. Also, the reflective layer will eventually oxidize, making the data difficult to read. Commercially produced single-burn CDs and DVDs are made and written differently than the burn-at-home technology and they last much longer.

Because the chemicals in the dye break down at different rates depending on environmental factors, there is no known lifespan for optical data. When they did studies it was estimated to be between 2 and 100 years depending on temperature, humidity, and exposure to light and other factors and varied wildly between different manufacturers or where the disks were produced. I have some that are about 10 years old that can no longer be read.

Edited to add: I'm not clear from this thread is the issue of needing an old DVD drive or software for one. If it's an old drive you need I probably have one you can have.

Also, a good takeaway is that there is no data storage that is fool proof. There are people who are making records "permanent" by putting it on blockchains, but even that is making a lot of assumptions.
To second what terracore just said, during the pandemic I was doing some spring cleaning and decided to consolidate and/or discard old backup CDs and DvDs going back about 20 years. All of them had been indoors in a good environment.
About a fifth of them could not be read.
There were a variety of brands of disks, burners, and software used over the years so I wonder if there may have been some compatibility problems between some of those disks and my present reader/burner. Anyway, it's been a long time since I trusted those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers