U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-14-2008, 05:50 PM

1,567 posts, read 765,170 times

Advertisements

How do you start a laptop in safe mode I think i have a trojan that hasn't gone away yet. My computer has a tendency when i awake it from sleep to take a bit too long and sometimes goes into desktop screensaver and then i have to wait. It isn't anything too long but still i just want to make sure it isn't anything because i have had trojens before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 06:37 PM

5,069 posts, read 5,877,449 times
The way I do it is this:
Click the Start button,
Click Run,
Type "msconfig" (minus the quote marks)
Click OK,
Click on the Boot.ini tab,
Check the box next to where it says, /Safeboot
Click OK
Click restart.

It will reboot and go to safe mode. It may give you the option, at that time, to run system restore -- it does on mine laptop.
Reverse the process to go a back to normal mode, by unchecking the box by /Safeboot

Once it returns to normal mode, there'll be a box that pops up. Click the little box so it won't pop up every time you reboot.

It sounds a little bit complicated, but I prefer this method. I think there is another method where you can tap one of the F buttons during a normal reboot. Not sure which one, or at which point a guy would do this.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:44 AM

7,165 posts, read 9,084,762 times
When you ask how to start a computer in safe mode, it is not the type of computer that determines how it's done (desktop or laptop), it's the operating system your running. Assuming your using Windows, tap the F8 key once your computer has reached the end of it's POST cycle (the initial screen you see when you first turn it on), Brians method works well too.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:53 AM

1,567 posts, read 765,170 times
Thanks a lot, I have one more question.
I have had trojens before and while in safe mode how do i get rid of trojens and make sure that there is no possible way for them to leave any damage. I normaly run spysweeper and trend during not safe mode. They have quarentined all viruses but still to make sure. What is the best way of keeping my computer safe?

Old 06-15-2008, 11:23 AM

7,165 posts, read 9,084,762 times
There is no single answer for this question, it depends on which trojan.virus/malware you have. A trained eye can look at the startup items and see stuff that doesn't belong, plus there are various tools such as hijackthis that can be used, but there is no one way to remove everything. Different malware items put different files in different locations on the hard drive, and some are only removeable by manual deletion using a boot CD such as BartPE or the XP CD recovery console as they are in use even in safe mode.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:05 PM

5,069 posts, read 5,877,449 times
I doubt one or two programs will ensure a computer is completely clean. I have Spybot Search&Destroy, which I keep up to date (and immunized). I run CCleaner, which hardly ever leaves anything for S&D to clean. Recently, I downloaded A-Squared, which got a few things. Then I tried Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, which didn't pick up anything after I ran everything else.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:52 AM

1,368 posts, read 4,513,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I doubt one or two programs will ensure a computer is completely clean. I have Spybot Search&Destroy, which I keep up to date (and immunized). I run CCleaner, which hardly ever leaves anything for S&D to clean. Recently, I downloaded A-Squared, which got a few things. Then I tried Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, which didn't pick up anything after I ran everything else.
^ Good recommendations here.

Also to use is Trend Micro HouseCall - Free Online Virus and Spyware Scan - Trend Micro USA which is a free, online virus scanner. The point of using the online scanner is that oftentimes trojans can compromise your security programs and render them ineffective. (Though having a constantly updated arsenal does wonders to stop this problem)

If I suspect I've contracted a virus, I go to housecall and run the online scan to make sure that its all gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers