U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2008, 09:05 AM

8,670 posts, read 6,565,459 times
Default Computer is running very loud-any ideas?

Hi,

I would have searched this but my computer is running very loud and when it does that it takes forever to load any page, so forgive me if this question has been asked and answered before.

I have an HP pavilion a320n. Every once in a while (but lately more often)it starts running very loud, I am pretty sure it is the fan/motor. Is there anything I can do for this or is it something that needs to be taken in? I know it is almost impossible to know without seeing it, but if anyone has dealt with this issue or knows anything I could try before spending the $$$ to have it looked at, I would definitely try first.

I have had the computer about 5 or 6 years and it is just for general use. No work or heavy downloading.

Maybe I am just better off buying a new one.

Thanks for any info!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 10:00 AM

389 posts, read 1,257,316 times
it is not the fan but the hard disk is on its "deathbed" when it goes loud like that. the short term solution is to turn your tower to its side. i presume you have a tower PC? the long term is to either buy a new hard disk or buy a new PC. and yes there is a thread about your problem here you might wanna try searching for a better understanding of what to do. actually.. google is the best way to know exactly what's going on your PC.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:29 AM

18,733 posts, read 20,503,506 times
On a different note: Remove the cover from the computer, turn it on, and pinpoint where the sound originates. A fan with bad bearings can make a loud noise, a cable rubbing against the fan can do the same. It isn't necessarily the hard drive, although it could be. Eliminate everything else first.

The fact that your computer is running slow might be because of spyware, malware, etc. Do you use anti-virus, anti-spyware programs and are they up to date?

Do you have a firewall in place? Are you on a high-speed broadband connection?

Old 06-17-2008, 11:42 AM

8,670 posts, read 6,565,459 times
I have both spyware and anti virus. They are both up to date.

I will try what you have mentioned. I fear that it may be the hard drive. In that case, I will lose all on it such a pics, documents--correct? Most I am not worried about but some pictures, maybe.

Thank you for all the advice! When I turn off my computer and leave it for a while then turn it back on, it works good. Eventually, it starts getting loud and makes it harder for me to navigate. I will search for that thread while it is moving at a good speed! Thanks again!

Old 06-17-2008, 03:49 PM

11,728 posts, read 22,905,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post

I will try what you have mentioned. I fear that it may be the hard drive. In that case, I will lose all on it such a pics, documents--correct? Most I am not worried about but some pictures, maybe.

Thank you for all the advice! When I turn off my computer and leave it for a while then turn it back on, it works good. Eventually, it starts getting loud and makes it harder for me to navigate. I will search for that thread while it is moving at a good speed! Thanks again!
You will if you don't back them up. Back up now while you still can! Depending on how much data you have, you can do the job with a CD-R, DVD-R, flash drive, or USB hard drive. If you do determine that the hard drive is dying, you can get another drive and clone your old one onto it before it dies. I use Acronis True Image to clone disks.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $63,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,260 posts, read 19,751,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
On a different note: Remove the cover from the computer, turn it on, and pinpoint where the sound originates. A fan with bad bearings can make a loud noise, a cable rubbing against the fan can do the same. It isn't necessarily the hard drive, although it could be. Eliminate everything else first.
I agree. Hard drive problems are about the worst-case scenario among computer problems, not because hard drives are expensive, but because your data is valuable and you don't want to lose it. It's definitely worth the effort to follow the steps quoted above and verify that the new noise either is or is not in your hard drive. If it is your hard drive making the noise, you should run, not walk to your favorite computer repair shop and get it replaced... unless you're capable of doing the replacement yourself.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:40 PM

6,415 posts, read 7,904,714 times
Quote:

That really means nothing, I've had many a customer come in with their machines all mucked up with trojans and malware because they put false faith in their AV applications, usually Norton, Mcafee, or that less than useless AOL security center.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, but what programs are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You will if you don't back them up. Back up now while you still can! Depending on how much data you have, you can do the job with a CD-R, DVD-R, flash drive, or USB hard drive. If you do determine that the hard drive is dying, you can get another drive and clone your old one onto it before it dies. I use Acronis True Image to clone disks.
Very good advice. Back up all important data now! (There's an echo in here) If it turns out not to be the drive, you have a current back up - which everyone should have, and if it is the drive, you're good to go. Depending on the amount of data you need to back up (assuming you can't or don't want to clone the drive) you can get 8gb USB drives for about $40. This is the one I have. I highly recommend this brand. Both from use and requiring an RMA (my bad, not the drive). Expect 8gb and larger USB drives to be slower than smaller capacity drives. I read once why that is but I have forgotten.

Newegg.com - OCZ RALLY2 8GB High Performance Dual Channel Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model OCZUSBR2DC-8GB - USB Flash Drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
If it is your hard drive making the noise, you should run, not walk to your favorite computer repair shop and get it replaced... unless you're capable of doing the replacement yourself.
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That really means nothing, I've had many a customer come in with their machines all mucked up with trojans and malware because they put false faith in their AV applications, usually Norton, Mcafee, or that less than useless AOL security center.
Ain't that the truth!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:39 PM

10,592 posts, read 21,370,461 times
Now that my Yahoo account has unlimited storage, I have a file there that I keep pictures in as well as keeping them saved on CDs.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Now that my Yahoo account has unlimited storage, I have a file there that I keep pictures in as well as keeping them saved on CDs.
Good idea. But don't you have Word docs or other data you need backed up?

Sorry if I sound paranoid, BUT I AM!!!!! I have lost more data during my 25 years than most people see in a lifetime. I have learned to be paranoid the hard way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers