U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 06:02 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,435,544 times

Advertisements

I hardly ever drink coffee, but today I decided to drink a cup. Of course, I spill some over onto my other laptop. It seemed mostly confined to the 4 arrow keys, but apparently it's not. I took those keys off and tried to dry the area underneath. Later this afternoon my wife told me the keyboard is malfunctioning.

Any ideas/suggestions to remedy this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 06:51 PM

30,582 posts, read 28,252,070 times
Liquid in the keyboard can’t be fixed, you’ll need a new one.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:25 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,078,495 times
I'd probably get another keyboard. But some swear that you can clean a keyboard and get it done the way these guys are talking about it.

It won't work on laptops or wireless keyboards. It might be that your problem is that you haven't waited long enough to allow all moisture to evaporate.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:32 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,578,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
I hardly ever drink coffee, but today I decided to drink a cup. Of course, I spill some over onto my other laptop. It seemed mostly confined to the 4 arrow keys, but apparently it's not. I took those keys off and tried to dry the area underneath. Later this afternoon my wife told me the keyboard is malfunctioning.

Any ideas/suggestions to remedy this problem?
It may be too late. Usually when something like this happens, you disconnect it immediately, dry things off the best you can (including opening it up if you know how) and then you let it set for a few days to make sure it is dry before use again.

What it sounds like is that some areas of it were not dry causing some shorts to occur. Might be a lost cause to be honest.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:18 PM

13,773 posts, read 34,287,746 times
Take the back off of the keyboard. Most have a rubber guard underneath. You can clean the 'key' portion, even put that portion in the dishwasher (not for laptops or wireless)

I have done the same thing and cleaning worked. If it doesn't your only option is a new keyboard

Old 07-05-2008, 02:21 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,015,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Take the back off of the keyboard. Most have a rubber guard underneath. You can clean the 'key' portion, even put that portion in the dishwasher (not for laptops or wireless)

I have done the same thing and cleaning worked. If it doesn't your only option is a new keyboard
Keeper, can't you take the laptop keyboard off and do this? or would it screw it up?

Take your laptop, turn it off, remove the battery and unplug it.

take a slightly damp towel and do your best to clean the keyboard.

Let it sit for A DAY. A FULL 24 hours before you put the battery in, plug it in, and turn it on.

I've had that problem with desktop keyboards before and thats worked for me. It may or may not work with laptops... but, all you might lose is 24 hours.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:34 AM

3,219 posts, read 5,837,141 times
Have you tried using an external keyboard? - the ones one would use using a desktop computer.

If after that test the computer still doesn't work after the waiting period some of the other of posters here have suggested - then that computer really has some problems.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:17 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,578,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Keeper, can't you take the laptop keyboard off and do this? or would it screw it up?

Take your laptop, turn it off, remove the battery and unplug it.

take a slightly damp towel and do your best to clean the keyboard.

Let it sit for A DAY. A FULL 24 hours before you put the battery in, plug it in, and turn it on.

I've had that problem with desktop keyboards before and thats worked for me. It may or may not work with laptops... but, all you might lose is 24 hours.
Laptop keyboard inserts are somewhat similar, though a bit more difficult to take a part to get down to the electronic overlays (which are usually what get saturated with liquid). The insert is rather easy to get out, but It depends on model for how much further you can go in terms of "ease".

One option if it is a laptop is to check eBay for some keyboard inserts for that model. Sometimes they can be expensive, but you can get lucky and get a good deal on a whole new insert.

I've replaced back lights, inverters, displays, keyboards and even various circuit interfaces on them, but the price really varies on them in terms of price effectiveness. sometimes its cheaper to buy an entire new laptop. Printers are much the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers