U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:45 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times

Advertisements

I don't remember hearing any beeps, but I'll recheck it. When I exit the CMOS, the screen is black for just a few seconds, and then it comes back. It doesn't show the C:/ prompt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 02:54 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Pull and reseat all data cables

Pull and reseat all add in cards (graphics, etc)

Clear CMOS. There's a jumper on the mobo or remove the battery for 30 secs and replace it.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 PM

Odd. I'm only getting one beep. Well, that's normal I guess, except for not loading WIN. I'll try checking connections, tonight.

I think my wife has already decided to get another computer.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:08 PM

OK, I've checked the connections as well as I could. I pulled the battery and replaced it. I reconnected the cables and wires, got CMOS up and then reset the date and time. I put the first thing to boot to as HD0, then CDRom, then floppy.

Anything else I should do?

Old 07-18-2008, 01:21 AM

1,677 posts, read 5,905,154 times
Now when you start the computer, does it automatically open the BIOS or does it load the Bios and then give a dark screen with a prompt, like a dash?

Are you seeing any messages when it loads, like counting memory, bios or video card bios information?

If the computer opens directly into the bios (where you can change settings without pressing any key to open the bios) then I would suspect a hardware issue, maybe memory failure, or the bios is not seeing the hard drive. There is a setting, most likely in Advanced that lets you choose the size and type of hdd. Don't make any changes. you just want to see that it sees the hd and that the capacity matches what you know your hdd capacity is.

For the brave and bold you can place your XP disk in the drive and see if it will boot on startup of the computer. This may help tell if you have a hardware issue.

Most importantly how much stuff is on the hard drive you want for feel you must have?

Alternately since the machine is so old, you could pull the hard drive, have it tested to see if the information that is on it is accessible. (may be able to install in known good machine). If the hdd is good, buy an external box that will allow it to hook to a new computer via usb, then have the wife buy a new computer, then you can pull off your personal data and such. Programs may be another issue, and beyond me.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Now when you start the computer, does it automatically open the BIOS or does it load the Bios and then give a dark screen with a prompt, like a dash?

Are you seeing any messages when it loads, like counting memory, bios or video card bios information?

If the computer opens directly into the bios (where you can change settings without pressing any key to open the bios) then I would suspect a hardware issue, maybe memory failure, or the bios is not seeing the hard drive. There is a setting, most likely in Advanced that lets you choose the size and type of hdd. Don't make any changes. you just want to see that it sees the hd and that the capacity matches what you know your hdd capacity is.

For the brave and bold you can place your XP disk in the drive and see if it will boot on startup of the computer. This may help tell if you have a hardware issue.

Most importantly how much stuff is on the hard drive you want for feel you must have?

Alternately since the machine is so old, you could pull the hard drive, have it tested to see if the information that is on it is accessible. (may be able to install in known good machine). If the hdd is good, buy an external box that will allow it to hook to a new computer via usb, then have the wife buy a new computer, then you can pull off your personal data and such. Programs may be another issue, and beyond me.
It opens automatically do CMOS, following a single beep. There are no messages or prompts. I've already tried it with HD0 vs HD1, but I haven't done anything with HD size. It does read the RAM as 2 gigs, which is what I put in there a few weeks (months?) ago.

I will put the XP disk in there to see what happens. I don't think anything bad would happen if I did. BTW, I do hear the whir of the HD spinning.

Yes, I've considered copying stuff from the HD, but it's mostly my wife's stuff, and she doesn't seem too concerned about it. But I would like to get it running, again. If nothing else, we could give it to my sister-in-law or something.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:52 PM

PS, my wife said the XP came ON the computer but there was no XP DVD with it.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:41 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,722,529 times
Stupid question, but are there any stuck keys on the keyboard? It could be as simple as that.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Stupid question, but are there any stuck keys on the keyboard? It could be as simple as that.
Hmm never occurred to me it could be something like that. Maybe I could get a used keyboard cheap or free someplace and try it out.

BTW, there was a plug that came from the power supply that didn't seem to have any place to go. I just figured that some computers would have something for it to plug into and some wouldn't, because I didn't see anyplace for it. It had four wires, two yellow and two black and ended with a square plug.

Another thing I thought of had to do with an earlier post, or possibly something I read somewhere. I think it was the HD controller. I didn't really know where that was, just looking at it. It sure would help if I had a detailed picture, someplace on the Internet, of what my computer innards should look like.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:43 PM

1,677 posts, read 5,905,154 times
The spare cable you mention is power and normally IF your computer needs it will fit on the mother board or may be an extra for hot rod video cards.

If you don't have an XP disk, maybe you have a restore or an antivirus disk. Some antivirus disks will boot the pc so it can run tests.

When the machine starts is should tell you the bios version and such, write that down and then tell us the brand and model, unless you have already done a search of the mfg's website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or