U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:22 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times

Advertisements

I believe the company is Asus. I've seen that window pop up every time the computer is turned on. The screen doesn't stay up very long, but maybe I can get a number -- but not until tomorrow. I've got to hit the sack. The sheep are calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 12:38 AM

1,677 posts, read 5,905,154 times
Ok, assuming you keyboard does work... you can press the pause key as the computer boots up to see the screen you wish to look at, then use the space key to let it resume booting. If you could post a photo of the computer screen when it quits booting maybe someone can see an unmentioned problem.

Does the computer case say asus, like the brand of the computer or could it be custom built with an asus motherboard?

Also just for jollies, if you press the cap lock button after booted will the cap lock light on the keyboard come on? If yes then the issue with the numlock could be bios has it turned off on bootup. Low priority and easy to fix.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 PM

I couldn't take a picture but...
First idea result:
ASUS
A7V400-MX

Press[Tab] to show Post screen, press [ALT] + [F2] to enter AWDFlash utility

Second idea:
Yes, if I press the cap lock button after bootup, the cap lock comes on.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Ok, assuming you keyboard does work... you can press the pause key as the computer boots up to see the screen you wish to look at, then use the space key to let it resume booting. If you could post a photo of the computer screen when it quits booting maybe someone can see an unmentioned problem.

Does the computer case say asus, like the brand of the computer or could it be custom built with an asus motherboard?

Also just for jollies, if you press the cap lock button after booted will the cap lock light on the keyboard come on? If yes then the issue with the numlock could be bios has it turned off on bootup. Low priority and easy to fix.
Wait, did you mean to say "numlock"? or caplock?

Old 07-24-2008, 02:38 AM

I meant caplock, numlock is either keyboard toggled or can be set to a default setting in BIOS.

In rereading the posts we never defined what the screen looks like when the computer completes booting. Are you in the Bios?
IS the screen color gray and blue or green?

If not what do you see?

Some sites to look at.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

Old 07-24-2008, 08:14 AM

It boots to BIOS, or CMOS -- I forget which is which. At the very top it's green: "PHoenix - Award BIOS CMOS Setup Utility." and bottom, it's green, where I see F1:Help ↑↓:Select item, and so forth. There's a blue bar under the top green bar where it says Main, Advanced, Power, Boot and Exit, and in the main field the letters and numbers are blue on a grey.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:55 PM

This is starting to sound like a hardware issue, my experience has been that sometimes the bios gets confused (probably caused by power fluctuations or Windows).
You need to know the speed of your processor and it's buss speed. Verify these setting in bios. Refer to the sites I sent, though you may need to know which version of motherboard you have.
SO first check the CPU settings
Check the memory settings for timing and use auto if possible
Check the Hard drive settings and use auto, make sure it gives information back to size etc.

Change one thing or group ie:cpu settings at a time and rsave changes then reboot.
Note though it may not make sense use the TAB feature on startup to watch what is happening and remember to use the pause key to catch a screen that looks interesting, especially when confirming hard drive size and numbers.

Keep in mind you reset the bios to defaults and you may need to tell the computer the cpu speed and other settings. Buss speed is probably defaulted to 100 instead of a higher number.

If all else fails read the manual, or buy her a new machine...
Good luck.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
This is starting to sound like a hardware issue, my experience has been that sometimes the bios gets confused (probably caused by power fluctuations or Windows).
You need to know the speed of your processor and it's buss speed. Verify these setting in bios. Refer to the sites I sent, though you may need to know which version of motherboard you have.
SO first check the CPU settings
Check the memory settings for timing and use auto if possible
Check the Hard drive settings and use auto, make sure it gives information back to size etc.

Change one thing or group ie:cpu settings at a time and rsave changes then reboot.
Note though it may not make sense use the TAB feature on startup to watch what is happening and remember to use the pause key to catch a screen that looks interesting, especially when confirming hard drive size and numbers.

Keep in mind you reset the bios to defaults and you may need to tell the computer the cpu speed and other settings. Buss speed is probably defaulted to 100 instead of a higher number.

If all else fails read the manual, or buy her a new machine...
Good luck.
She went ahead and bought the new machine -- it came in this afternoon and I set it up this evening.

BTW, the only thing I see before CMOS pops up is this:
ASUS
A7V400-MX

Press[Tab] to show Post screen, press [ALT] + [F2] to enter AWDFlash utility

And that's not really much to go on.So, all I can do is play around with it. I have appreciated all the comments. I still have a lingering feeling there could be something loose or not quite right. I do wish I could see what the board is supposed to look like. Oh well. I'll get it fixed eventually. Thanks, again, I appreciate it.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:01 AM

the one link I sent shows a manual that tells how to connect things.

When the Press[Tab] shows up press it and watch what posts, it should show the hard drive etc.

Well she will enjoy the new faster machine.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:41 AM

Ah, I overlooked those links. I've run into lots of people having extra stuff in their messages. But just one question: How do I set it to jumper-free mode? Do I actually pull the jumpers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or