U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 01:21 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,360 times

Advertisements

What is the virus called? Maybe we can kill it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 05:02 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 17,261,069 times
I don't know if the fellow even told DH what it was. He had two programs and neither one of them would touch it. Thanks for the offer, tho.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:57 PM

A program can't always get rid of a virus. It could reside Java, so the only way to remove it is to uninstall Java. Of course, if you need it, you can always download another copy.

Also, there could be pieces of it in the registry.

But, if you don't know what it's called, and if those two programs couldn't get rid of it, I'd suggest Hijack This. Download that, see if there are any updates, and then run it. Make a copy of the results (there's a feature where it will create a log) and copy paste that into a special site, where there are people who deal with that kind of stuff all the time. That is just one of several such sites.

And, by the way, if you decide to download Hijack This, first create a folder on your desktop. Call it "Hijack This" or whatever, and make that the target of your download. And, if you run the program, make sure all unnecessary programs are closed.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:00 PM

3,758 posts, read 7,727,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
The good news is we weren't hacked into, but we did pick up some kind of nasty virus. Hubby's been wanting a new computer, so it looks like we'll be getting one now. The repair guy said neither of his programs could kill the virus. So be careful out there.

I think we've learned our lesson - run the anti-virus program often.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Are you getting a new computer or are you just reinstalling Windows?

Old 07-14-2008, 06:23 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,600,178 times
There are a number of companies that drop scary pop-ups on your screen claiming to have found a myriad of problems and give you a link to get their scanning software. If you download their software it dumps a bunch of spyware and malware on your computer, finds it, then tells you to buy their product to get rid of it.

One of the worst is Smitfraud, but I've seen some others lately.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:32 PM

3,758 posts, read 7,727,506 times
I wouldn't get a new computer just because of a bad virus. I think reinstalling windows is enough unless you just want a new computer.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 PM

We were offered the option of re-installation, but since the machine is a good 7 years old, it's definitely time to retire it. Hubby's been looking for an excuse to replace it for a couple of years now. Hey! I just had a thought - maybe he installed the virus himself! Wait'll I get back home..........

Old 07-14-2008, 09:04 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,600,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
We were offered the option of re-installation, but since the machine is a good 7 years old, it's definitely time to retire it. Hubby's been looking for an excuse to replace it for a couple of years now. Hey! I just had a thought - maybe he installed the virus himself! Wait'll I get back home..........
Heck. Get him a nice one.

Vigor Gaming Computer: The Gaming PC with Extreme Vigor™

Scroll down on the page.

Of course if you really want to spend money:

http://vigorgaming.com/product/rigs-colossus.html (broken link)

Old 07-15-2008, 06:00 AM

OMG, Tek! What're you trying to do to me??? LOL

I like that...STARTING at $6649. That's the price without the hard drive, right?? And here I thought you liked me!

Old 07-15-2008, 11:02 AM

If you get a new computer, you'll still have to have some protection for it. Otherwise you have a good chance of getting infected, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers