U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:08 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"🙏 ❄⭐🎄⛄
2,709 posts, read 5,210,046 times

Advertisements

If it is the power supply, how much do you think it will cost?

Is that something that a TECH guy should do?

And once replaced, should everything run like it normally would?

Thank you so much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Like TEK Freek says, sounds like the power supply. ON some models there is a light inside the power supply that when powered up you can see if it is on or blinking. Some powersupplies give you an error code. From what you describe I think this is your best cause.

Last edited by countrylv22; 07-16-2008 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PROMPT RESPONSES!0) 0)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 07:15 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,578,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
I was online, and then the mouse stopped working, so I unplugged everything,

after I did that, the light on the keyboard was OFF, and the computer would

NOT turn on at all! I restarted everything, and nothing.....

The light on the computer, screen are on, but the light on the keyboard is

off, and the computer will not turn on, at all.

ITS A DELL computer

Thank you so much!
Ok, few things so I know we are on the same page.

You have monitor (screen).
Keyboard and mouse.
And the computer.

The monitor is on you say, but the keyboard light and the computer is not on correct?

You said the mouse and keyboard stopped working while you were using it?
Did the screen freeze up or was it just a loss of mouse and keyboard function?

If the screen froze:

If so, is your room hot? Did or does the case feel warm in any area? Feel around where the air blows out of the back of the case. Is it abnormally hot?

If it was just the mouse and keyboard, it doesn't make a lot a sense and it could be many things.

Usually when a machine stops like that, it often a result of overheating (which may have damaged components) or an actual component went out most likely the power supply would be the culprit.

It could also be something as simple as something grounding out in your case which keeps the power supply from turning on.

These types of problems are really difficult to troubleshoot when your not hands on with them.

I am sorry I couldn't be of more help on the issue.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
If it is the power supply, how much do you think it will cost?

Is that something that a TECH guy should do?

And once replaced, should everything run like it normally would?

Thank you so much!!
I would suggest a tech person doing it.

A power supply replacement requires unplugging the dongles from all the devices (cards, drives, board, fans, etc) which is fairly easy, but the hard part for some people is plugging in all of the led plugs which even for a seasoned tech can be a pain in the rear if the board isn't standardized or marked well.

If that is the problem, then yes, everything will be fine and you won't notice any difference other than maybe a different fan sound possibly.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:27 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"🙏 ❄⭐🎄⛄
2,709 posts, read 5,210,046 times
Smile Thank you

The monitor-screen light turns on and off like it normally does...BLINKS

the computer itself has a green light on, but will not turn on or off, its stuck...

the keyboard light is off...

The computer is not starting, nothing comes on the screen-monitor, its

black...even though the green light turns on and off...

THIS HAPPENED WHILE I WAS ONLINE...THE MOUSE STOPPED WORKING, AND THE

SCREEN FROZE, I UNPLUGGED EVERYTHING, NOW NOTHING POPS UP....

I LEFT THE COMPUTER ON THE NIGHT BEFORE, COULD THAT BE THE REASON...???

Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Ok, few things so I know we are on the same page.

You have monitor (screen).
Keyboard and mouse.
And the computer.

The monitor is on you say, but the keyboard light and the computer is not on correct?

You said the mouse and keyboard stopped working while you were using it?
Did the screen freeze up or was it just a loss of mouse and keyboard function?

If the screen froze:

If so, is your room hot? Did or does the case feel warm in any area? Feel around where the air blows out of the back of the case. Is it abnormally hot?

If it was just the mouse and keyboard, it doesn't make a lot a sense and it could be many things.

Usually when a machine stops like that, it often a result of overheating (which may have damaged components) or an actual component went out most likely the power supply would be the culprit.

It could also be something as simple as something grounding out in your case which keeps the power supply from turning on.

These types of problems are really difficult to troubleshoot when your not hands on with them.

I am sorry I couldn't be of more help on the issue.

Last edited by countrylv22; 07-16-2008 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: thank you so much!!I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP! 0)

Old 07-16-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
The monitor-screen light turns on and off like it normally does...BLINKS

the computer itself has a green light on, but will not turn on or off, its stuck...

the keyboard light is off...

The computer is not starting, nothing comes on the screen-monitor, its

black...even though the green light turns on and off...

THIS HAPPENED WHILE I WAS ONLINE...THE MOUSE STOPPED WORKING, AND THE

SCREEN FROZE, I UNPLUGGED EVERYTHING, NOW NOTHING POPS UP....

I LEFT THE COMPUTER ON THE NIGHT BEFORE, COULD THAT BE THE REASON...???

Thank you so much!
Ok, well that makes it a bit more clear. You need to turn it off. Two ways will do it.

1. Hold down the power button for about 5-10 seconds. That will force it off usually. If that doesn't work...

2. Unplug it.

Then make sure everything is connected and turn it back on again.

Word of advice though about your mouse and keyboard. Do not unplug and plug them in while the machine is on (I noticed your post in the other thread that you said you didn't have USB).

Those devices most likely have a PS-2 (small 5 pin) connector (AT <larger> connector if its a really old computer) and while you can get away from time to time plugging them in and pulling them out while the machine is on, there is a risk that you may short the ports out by doing so. USB doesn't have this problem as it was designed for that.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
I beg to differ. With some care and documentation you can change the power supply.

Edit: When replacing a power supply there aren't any leds to work with. If you replace a motherboard there will be, but you aren't doing that.

As for cost:
Shop for power supply at OfficeMax

Scroll down to Antec. Either one should work, but take your old one in and have someone match it to be sure you get the right one.

Anytime you are working inside the computer you should touch bare metal on a regular basis. This grounds you to the system and stops static sparking.

So, replacing a power supply =

1. Remove the power plug from the computer.
2. Take the cover off the side.
3. Take good pictures of the cables and connectors that lead from the PS to
  • The motherboard - This will consist of one or two connectors. Typical would be a large, white connector of 20 or 24 pins. This is removed by pressing on a lever built into the side of the connector and pulling.
  • A possible second, similar connector of 4 pins. This one can be part of a 24 pin connector (as above) or as a separate connector if the large one only has 20 pins. Some motherboards don't have this one.
  • Plugs at the back of hard drives, CD and DVD drives, and floppy drives.
  • Possibly a 4 pin connector at the motherboard similar to a floppy power connector.
  • Some graphics cards require a connector from the power supply.
What you want to do is note these connections (you can follow the cables from the PS to find them) take a picture (or pictures - take as many as needed for your comfort level) and perhaps make a written note to remind yourself what's what and then remove them. Most will just pull off, but the large, white connectors to the motherboard will have that latch. Some sata connectors also have a latch. If you have sata (a small, rectangular connector as opposed to IDE drives which are a larger white rectangle with two corners cut off) then pay attention to the "L" shape of the plug.

Once all connectors are removed, turn the computer so you can see the back. You should see 4 screws holding the power supply in. Lie the computer on it's side so when you remove the PS it will be supported by the case.

Remove the screws (keep them not all new PS come with screws), pull out the PS and take it to a store to get a replacement. Get at least 400 watts and do not by a Bestec PS.

Replacing is just the reverse. PS back in (remember those screws you saved?). Check for a toggle switch on the back of the PS. On/Off. Check your pictures and notes, plug in all connectors, plug the computer back in and turn it on. Leave the side off until it boots correctly just in case you missed something you won't have to take it off again.

Once it's up and running OK, turn it off and replace the side.

Come here for help if you need it.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 07-16-2008 at 09:43 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 09:34 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
If you decide to try it and are unsure about all the connectors I'll post some pictures for comparison.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:38 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,655,433 times
Quote:
I have pushed the computer button-light on and off, and the light stays on

but the computer does not turn on..... And I have unplugged it several

times, and nothing....
Countrylv22, sorry you are having trouble with your computer! Hope it gets better soon, as computer issues are certainly frustrating!!! Wish I could help!

I may have missed it but how old is your dell Computer? Take Care! Your Very Good Friend Comet!!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:48 AM
Yac

5,967 posts, read 6,633,173 times
2 identical threads merged.
Yac.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I beg to differ. With some care and documentation you can change the power supply.

Edit: When replacing a power supply there aren't any leds to work with. If you replace a motherboard there will be, but you aren't doing that.

As for cost:
Shop for power supply at OfficeMax

Scroll down to Antec. Either one should work, but take your old one in and have someone match it to be sure you get the right one.

Anytime you are working inside the computer you should touch bare metal on a regular basis. This grounds you to the system and stops static sparking.

So, replacing a power supply =

1. Remove the power plug from the computer.
2. Take the cover off the side.
3. Take good pictures of the cables and connectors that lead from the PS to
  • The motherboard - This will consist of one or two connectors. Typical would be a large, white connector of 20 or 24 pins. This is removed by pressing on a lever built into the side of the connector and pulling.
  • A possible second, similar connector of 4 pins. This one can be part of a 24 pin connector (as above) or as a separate connector if the large one only has 20 pins. Some motherboards don't have this one.
  • Plugs at the back of hard drives, CD and DVD drives, and floppy drives.
  • Possibly a 4 pin connector at the motherboard similar to a floppy power connector.
  • Some graphics cards require a connector from the power supply.
What you want to do is note these connections (you can follow the cables from the PS to find them) take a picture (or pictures - take as many as needed for your comfort level) and perhaps make a written note to remind yourself what's what and then remove them. Most will just pull off, but the large, white connectors to the motherboard will have that latch. Some sata connectors also have a latch. If you have sata (a small, rectangular connector as opposed to IDE drives which are a larger white rectangle with two corners cut off) then pay attention to the "L" shape of the plug.

Once all connectors are removed, turn the computer so you can see the back. You should see 4 screws holding the power supply in. Lie the computer on it's side so when you remove the PS it will be supported by the case.

Remove the screws (keep them not all new PS come with screws), pull out the PS and take it to a store to get a replacement. Get at least 400 watts and do not by a Bestec PS.

Replacing is just the reverse. PS back in (remember those screws you saved?). Check for a toggle switch on the back of the PS. On/Off. Check your pictures and notes, plug in all connectors, plug the computer back in and turn it on. Leave the side off until it boots correctly just in case you missed something you won't have to take it off again.

Once it's up and running OK, turn it off and replace the side.

Come here for help if you need it.
*chuckle*

My bad, guess I was tired. You are correct, I am not sure why I was thinking leds for the case/mb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or