U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 03:38 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,578,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
It looks like countrylv22 is in good hands, but one thing that I'd like checked before the case is cracked open.

See the little switch just to the upper right of the screwdriver? The PC in question may or may not have that switch. If it does, is that switch on or off?

In my first attempt at replacing power supplies, I had forgotten to check said switch. Made a world of difference for me.
The switch is usually identified with a "electronics symbol". That is, an [O] will stand for an open circuit while a [-] will stand for a closed one.

Think of a wire. If the current is broke, no power is transfered which is identified by the [O] (a break in the connection). If it is connected, current can pass through and therefore it is on which is identified by the [-].

Sorry if that wasn't your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Nomander, I'm sitting here laughing. I finally had a chance to look for a good site to post a link to and chose the first one you put in your post.

I like the way this person does it. Keeps everything connected while working so you're not going to miss any connections.

countrylv22, I haven't seen where you mention the model of your computer. Some of their small footprint computers take a "special" PS because of size. If you look at the back and give us the Service Tag code we can go to Dell and make sure what you should buy.
*chuckle* I figured you would find this. It was one of the first hits I noticed on a search. I love the internet. You can do everything from learning how to cook to creating a chemical bomb. *chuckle*

Old 07-18-2008, 04:41 PM

5,115 posts, read 4,721,701 times
LOL, Nomander!

I was asking if the original poster would check the switch. He might have accidentally flipped it to the off position while fumbling around with the power cord; sort of like I had done once.

(Note to self, I need to use more nouns when I post ).

Old 07-18-2008, 08:18 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"🙏 ❄⭐🎄⛄
2,709 posts, read 5,210,046 times
Smile Hello EVERYONE! :0):0) Thank you!!!!!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP, SUPPORT & ADVICE!

I have had this DELL computer for several years, however since I always had

a laptop, I did not use it as much....Once my laptop was stolen

I started using the DELL computer a lot, because I have not replaced the

laptop yet.... and I started having one problem here and there

I think there is a lot on the hard drive, not sure if that is a problem

I am assuming that the TAG number is on the back of the computer,

right? I will look for it and give it to you as soon as I can.

I do not remember what a motherboard looks like do any of you happen to

have a picture of one?

The SWITCH that someone mentioned, on the back, I have seen that on one

of the computers at work, but I do not believe mine has one not sure, but

I will check that as well

Thank you ALL for your AMAZING HELP & prompt responses!

I truly APPRECIATE ALL of your replies!!!THANK YOU!

Take care!

Have a GREAT day!

Countrylv22

Last edited by countrylv22; 07-18-2008 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Thank you for everything!:0)I AM DESPERATE TO GET THIS FIXED ASAP! :0):0) YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST! :0):0):0)

Old 07-18-2008, 08:26 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times
Quote:
Someone mentioned that it could also be the motherboard, and that if I take

it out, and the computer starts, then the problem is the motherboard...

Does that sound like a possibility?
LOLOLOLOL! Now that was funny. Sorry to be laughing since you have problems, but LOL! I couldn't help it.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:38 PM

Wink Hello to you too Brian! :0) LOL! LOL! LOL!

OK, after I typed that, I realized, it did not make

sense LOL! LOL!

But, hey I am asking everyone out there for HELP so I can take care of this

problem, I really need access to my computer you have no idea ..........

I am really desperate!

Maybe this person meant, that if I heard something, but not nec

connecting like it should maybe that was it... I do not know....?????

But you have the right to LAUGH, because it does not make sense.....LOL! LOL!

PLEASE KEEP THE HELP COMING!

THANK YOU ALL!!

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
LOLOLOLOL! Now that was funny. Sorry to be laughing since you have problems, but LOL! I couldn't help it.

Last edited by countrylv22; 07-18-2008 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: I am glad that I made you laugh Brian! LOL! LOL! :0):0) I am BRAIN dead right now, LOL! LOL! :0):0):0)Have a GREAT one! :0):)

Old 07-19-2008, 08:05 AM

If it is not the power supply, it can be many things. Honestly, it would take a lot of testing to figure it out and in a lot of the troubleshooting of machines, it is handy to be able to swap parts to find bad ones. Even then, this doesn't always make it simple.

You might want to consider having it repaired by someone who knows how to troubleshoot PC's (friend, family, or a service shop). If the data is all that is important, you can wait till you get another PC and then there are many ways we can retrieve that data.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:46 PM

Talking Update & questions for all of the wonderful people here!!

Hello there

I contacted a tech guy to come by my place to take a look at the computer,

but he did not show upHowever, from different conversations I had with

other people, late last night, since I had nothing to lose

I ventured into opening up the computer And it had a lot of dust

inside I cleaned it it all really well it was actually pretty cool

to check it all out

Afterwards, I plugged everything back in, and decided to turn it on,

and to my SURPRISE it turned on!! WOOHOO!!

However, my HAPPINESS did not last more than 2 hours

it DIED again I heard the same CLICK, and it DIED I tried to turn it

on, and nothing.....

So, I do not know if what I have just described, will give you a better idea,

of WHAT the problem could be Could it still be the POWER

SUPPLY???

Thank you so much for your help!! I appreciate it all!

Take care!

Happy Sunday!

Countrylv22

Last edited by countrylv22; 07-20-2008 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: SMILE & WE WILL SMILE WITH YOU!:0)0)0)ATTITUDE IN LIFE IS KEY!:0) PAY IT FORWARD! :0):0) THANK YOU ALL!!:0):0)

Old 07-20-2008, 10:29 PM

Hmmm.

Could be a dirty fan thats going out on the power supply. Not all will shut off (some will burn up and start smoking), though some have an emergency shut off if the insides overheat on the power supply. So thats a possibility.

That also might be a heat issue that is causing the processor to overheat and the machine might shut off as well (processor fan going out).

Another could be a ground issue (screw, touching post to the motherboard, etc..) that ungrounded when you cleaned, but settled back after a bit of use. though this one I wouldn't say is likely, just possible.

Honestly, without being able to test it firsthand, its hard to say. I mean, there are some detailed steps we could go through, but we are talking about breaking it open, stripping the MB from the case, laying it on a table mat and doing a step by step assembly check to eliminate problem areas.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:01 PM

11,727 posts, read 11,309,113 times
After reading all these posts, some of them several times, I think you should find another tech or take it to a reliable shop and let somebody check it out. If you can't find a tech, ask somebody at Staples or Office Max or cal a local computer store for advice on finding a tech. Like others have said, somebody knowing hwat to do needs to see this computer (IMHO).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or