Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:51 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

I have to agree. I'm beginning to think it's a heat problem rather than a power supply, but as has been said, it is very difficult to be sure from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Maybe she didn't use compressed air.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:46 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
I've just come back to surf this wonderful site after a week plus away from it and have run into this thread.

I'm sooooooooo very sorry for your computer problems and I hope somehow someone can solve it so we can be the beneficiaries of your great posts my friend.

Now, you say you have a Dell computer - first things first, I need to know what model it is.

On a lot of Dell computers you cannot just go and purchase any power supply as many Dells have proprietary power supply's in which the main motherboard plug (the 20 pin one) wiring is different than a normal one. This is "if" you're going to replace the power supply.

Some Dell models also have their "normal" motherboard problems which can also be the case here and I wonder if any of the capacitors on that board are leaking or bulging (which happens a lot) as that would explain much if that's the case. In fact I've run into MANY, MANY Dell motherboards with bad capacitors and found such a Dell computer on the curb recently with such. I don't know if you have this problem with your computer as none of us can see it.

Is there any possible way you can open the computer case up and try to take a photo of the motherboard and post it here?

But it would help if you can furnish the model number and or the Service Tag number which is normally on the rear of the case on a white tag and or a small black or white tag on the upper side of the case.

Hope all is well otherwise.

njguy

Last edited by njguy; 07-22-2008 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-22-2008, 05:45 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,198,331 times
Smile Hello NJGUY!! :0) Thank you so much!! :0)

THANK YOU SO MUCH NJGUY!

I hope you are doing well!

Thank you for your KIND words, HELP!! I APPRECIATE it ALL!!

I will get the TAG number and or whatever numbers are on the back of it.

When I had my laptop, I hardly used the DELL computer, and it really did not

have any issues, once my laptop was stolen and I was using the DELL

computer on a daily basis, it started to show its true colorsLOL!

The couple of times that I have been able to get it to run again, the fan is

not really that loud, it is not making the same noises it used to

Anyway, if anyone can think of anything else that it could be, I would really

appreciate it!

THANK YOU SO MUCH "NJGUY!"

Thank you TEK_FREEK, NOMANDER,

BRIAN, MENSAGUY, DJMILF, ARCTICTHAW, PG77, COMETVOYAGER, NJGUY

and everyone else that has been KIND enough to stop by!

You all are GREAT!

Take care!

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
I've just come back to surf this wonderful site after a week plus away from it and have run into this thread.

I'm sooooooooo very sorry for your computer problems and I hope somehow someone can solve it so we can be the beneficiaries of your great posts my friend.

Now, you say you have a Dell computer - first things first, I need to know what model it is.

On a lot of Dell computers you cannot just go and purchase any power supply as many Dells have proprietary power supply's in which the main motherboard plug (the 20 pin one) wiring is different than a normal one. This is "if" you're going to replace the power supply.

Some Dell models also have their "normal" motherboard problems which can also be the case here and I wonder if any of the capacitors on that board are leaking or bulging (which happens a lot) as that would explain much if that's the case. In fact I've run into MANY, MANY Dell motherboards with bad capacitors and found such a Dell computer on the curb recently with such. I don't know if you have this problem with your computer as none of us can see it.

Is there any possible way you can open the computer case up and try to take a photo of the motherboard and post it here?

But it would help if you can furnish the model number and or the Service Tag number which is normally on the rear of the case on a white tag and or a small black or white tag on the upper side of the case.

Hope all is well otherwise.

njguy

Last edited by countrylv22; 07-22-2008 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: PAY IT FORWARD!:0) SMILE & WE WILL SMILE WITH YOU!:0) THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KINDNESS!:0) YOU GUYS ROCK!:0)Take good care!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:34 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
With the Service Tag number, Dell's web site will supply the exact model, the original system configuration, manuals, specs, original ship date, warranty expiration dates, etc. That is the most important piece of information for finding about any particular single computer Dell has made.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:24 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
This happened to us before. The fan went bad and there is a provision there that the PC won't boot up if the fan is dead as a safety to overheating. Fan had to be replaced, and everything's fine. Country, let us know what it was eventually.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
With the Service Tag number, Dell's web site will supply the exact model, the original system configuration, manuals, specs, original ship date, warranty expiration dates, etc. That is the most important piece of information for finding about any particular single computer Dell has made.
Exactly why I asked for this info. First wanna see the configuration, second to find out how proprietary the power supply is for that computer, third to find out what common problems that particular model of computer has out there - or maybe my direct experience since I have a few Dell computers right now and had others before.

But overall it will give me an idea of where to start without looking at her computer visually - at least I'll try my best from here though it will be a challenge not having that computer in my hands. I just hope it's not a bad motherboard as I've seen too many of Dell's computers with this. The best motherboards Dell put out was the ones with that Intel made for them that housed the Pentium III 370 socket - I had 3 of such and threw them out about 3 months ago.

Last edited by njguy; 07-23-2008 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: added to sentence

Old 07-23-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
This happened to us before. The fan went bad and there is a provision there that the PC won't boot up if the fan is dead as a safety to overheating. Fan had to be replaced, and everything's fine. Country, let us know what it was eventually.
On a lot (well most) of the Dell computers there was no direct mounted CPU Fan to a CPU heat sink but just a rear case fan and then a shrowd from that fan covering the CPU heat sink to draw heat away from the heat sink - so I don't know in that type configuration if the computer would shut down due to a non-working case fan.

But yes, with various (not all) computers that have a mounted CPU fan directly on top of the CPU heat sink would have that safety feature that if the fan stopped working that within 5 seconds or so the computer would automatically shut down.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:13 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
If it's an overheating problem, the old trick is to take the computer and put it on a desk or table, with the computer still connected to the monitor, keyboard, mouse, internet, etc. Take the side panel off the computer so the inside of the case is exposed. Get an electric fan, either a desktop type or one that sits on the floor, and place it so that it is close to the computer (within a foot or so) and blows directly into the computer through the open side of the case. Use the computer for a few hours.

If the computer works fine (doesn't shut down or auto-reboot) with the side open and a fan blowing in, then it's an overheating problem. Look for dust build-up on the components (get some canned air and blow out the dust), blocked air vents (canned air or manual clearing), or dead case fans. Might even be a power supply that's reaching the end of it's life.

If the computer does still shut down or auto-reboot with the exterior fan blowing directly into the case, then it's not an overheating problem.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:19 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,254 times
it looks like your CAPS button is stuck as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers