U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 03:24 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,015,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
The quality of DSL depends on your location also. We were on the outer limits of the service area and got dropped many time every day. We never got near the speeds we should have. All of my neighbors had the same issue but at the time, it was the only broadband available to us.

We now have cable and it's been consistent. Cable, though, is shared so the more people in your neighborhood who use it, the slower it can become.
Macroy will surely make this point if I don't...

so is DSL, its just split at a higher level... Cable isn't dedicated and so you can achieve your line speed... sometimes.

Where as with DSL, you should always be able to achieve your rated speed... however if you're on the outskirts of the physical range (same holds true for cable) or their CO is overly saturated, then you're going to see your connection slow down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 07:43 PM

617 posts, read 1,913,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Macroy will surely make this point if I don't...

so is DSL, its just split at a higher level... Cable isn't dedicated and so you can achieve your line speed... sometimes.

Where as with DSL, you should always be able to achieve your rated speed... however if you're on the outskirts of the physical range (same holds true for cable) or their CO is overly saturated, then you're going to see your connection slow down.
Right. I was under the impression that 100 DSL users in one neighborhood wouldn't negatively impact my connection speed as 100 cable users in one neighborhood. (100 being a number I pulled out of the air for an example.) That's why I made that statement.

As for speeds, I got so many reasons from Verizon as to why my connection was slow and dropping off several times a day that I could probably list them all and you could pick the one you like the best. The physical range excuse was the last I was given before I switched to Cable and since I know distance can be an issue, I picked that one.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,898 times
It actually depends on where you're located.

I actually have wireless broadband internet connection and it seldom fails me. The only time that I have problems connecting to the internet is when they have bad signal reception which seldom happens. Right now, I do not have any problems with my internet connection. I think I will definitely prefer cable line than a phone line. :-)

Old 01-20-2010, 07:31 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,007,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yana_04 View Post
It actually depends on where you're located.

I actually have wireless broadband internet connection and it seldom fails me. The only time that I have problems connecting to the internet is when they have bad signal reception which seldom happens. Right now, I do not have any problems with my internet connection. I think I will definitely prefer cable line than a phone line. :-)
In the future you may want to check the post dates, this thread is almost a year and a half old.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:29 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,474,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
In the future you may want to check the post dates, this thread is almost a year and a half old.
Maybe their internet connection is slow and it took a year and a half to post.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Maybe their internet connection is slow and it took a year and a half to post.
too funny

Old 03-19-2018, 09:03 PM

365 posts, read 124,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I just ran this phone line test we currently have, and it's more than fast enough for us.

Your Current Line Speed is: 1.32 Mbps Choice OnLineĀ® acceptable ranges 1-1.5
You can download at: 165.28 KB/s
Depends on your needs. This would be considered very slow by today's standards. No netflix watching nor prime etc... youtube may even spin and not play videos well at only 1.32mbps.
Netflix recommends around 3mbps if I recall, though I've used it well at less than 2mbps. But 1.3, that's pushing the envelope...

Old 03-20-2018, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Depends on your needs. This would be considered very slow by today's standards. No netflix watching nor prime etc... youtube may even spin and not play videos well at only 1.32mbps.
Netflix recommends around 3mbps if I recall, though I've used it well at less than 2mbps. But 1.3, that's pushing the envelope...
Again, this thread is now 10 years old, not likely anyone is still requiring assistance, not to mention youtube, netflix and amazon streaming have no relation to VOIP phone service.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:15 PM

5,725 posts, read 6,916,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Again, this thread is now 10 years old...
This is almost becoming an epidemic here. Brand new aliases who seem to have no concept of board etiquette, and desperate issues that defy sensibility...and long-term respected posters disappearing for mentioning the obvious, I guess it doesn't matter as long as the page-views keep coming in.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:42 AM

2,896 posts, read 1,702,654 times
DSL speed is very distance dependent. Tech has been developed allowing very high speeds but only for distances of a few hundred feet. In real life, such as where I am, speed caps out a 25mbps. I get 20 because I'm further from the access point/remote terminal box. They use bonded technology, where two different phone line pairs are used, and the signal combined.

DSL has the same aggregation problem as cable. Where the individual subscriber lines come together, individual speed depends on the backhaul speed. Lately, my node has had inadequate backhaul, making Netflix unusable at UHD starting around 8 PM every day.

BTW, In my area, NH, DSL lines don't run to a Central Office. They run to remote terminals (4 foot high white boxes on a stand next to poles). The remotes aggregate subscriber signals and send them on, presumably over fiber. This gives more subscribers access to decent speeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or