U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 08:22 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,268,557 times

Advertisements

If it's just a few videos it could be the website that is hosting it. Let it play then play it again should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 08:59 AM

2,814 posts, read 12,146,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc53 View Post
OK- I have satellite dish. I have had the problem from different sites- You Tube, and I don't know the names of the others. I don;t know if I use Media Player or what- unfortunately I don't know enough to know what I have! I have an Acer- it is about 5 months old. What is a graphics card, and how do I check it, please?
I think Evey has it right. It sounds like a speed issue with dial-up...if you have dial-up, that's most likely what's causing it. I can only get dial-up where I am out in the country and I have the same issue with the same sites and medias.
With cable I never had problems. With dial-up, I get the first few seconds streaming, then it goes into buffering, then I get a quick glimpse, then more buffering, and often by that point I hear the sounds and get no visual. It's the speed of download I think. Happens with receiving large KB emails too. Bites big ones.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:49 PM

405 posts, read 1,155,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
As far as YouTube is concerned, you have to wait for the videos to finish buffering. In othe words, you know how when that line at the bottom turns red as you play the video and become more red the further along in the video you are? Well, before you play the video, that whole line should be yellow which indicates that the entire video has been buffered and is now ready to be played uninterrupted. Ideally, you can press play and the buffering works faster than the action meaning that it buffs while you're watching it and there will be no freezes, but for some videos this isn't the case (this has to do less with your own computer and more to do with the computer of who uploaded the video and how they uploaded it) so you may want to stop the video or click pause in the beginning and wait for it to finish buffing before you start playing. This holds true not just for YouTube but for most other streaming videos that you watch on the internet.

Exactly. Wait for the video to complete the download and buffering process and it should play fine. You will see the progress bar moving along in the video playback screen. When it reaches the end the video download has completed. You should then be able to press 'play' and watch it correctly.

If you still have problems it could be any number of things: your system ram, your video ram, your processor speed, internet connection speed, etc. It's impossible to say for sure because you didn't supply your system specifications.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:21 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,425,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc53 View Post
Do we have a computer nerd in the group?? I sure hope so, as I do not know what to do,(have not found an answer by Google,etc)- when I want to watch a short video clip, it starts out fine, but only runs for about 1-2 seconds, then 'freezes', runs again, freezes again- this continues, so I am only seeing a second or two at a time. I do not have much downloaded, so I have lots of space. I use my computer to just play around- look at forums such as this, look around the web for stuff- any suggestions? Thank you. Deb
When you setup real player, WMA, etc, they will usually have a question asking what type of connection you are on. (Dial-up, DSL, Cable, T1, OC3, etc) If you set it accurately, go back and set it to something slower. This is the simple way to alter your buffer setting. Otherwise, if you can find it on whatever you are streaming these videos with, double the size of your buffer setting.

What happens when your buffer setting is too low is your PC plays the video faster than you can download it. So, it will "freeze' like that while it is "buffering" again, which means its just catching up on the download.

If you give it a larger buffer, it will take long for a video to start, but the likelihood of it having to pause and refill the buffer will be lower.

-TT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or