U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:49 PM

328 posts, read 1,430,827 times

Advertisements

Computer Crashed (I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 with Win XP Home)
and I wanted to finish installing my copy (I have an actual CD with Code)
and it wouldn't let me.
I have no previous version or trial etc on my PC. Just reinstalled my XP. Had some Disk Errors which I fixed with CHK DSK. After computer was fixed, I went to load the Microsoft Office... and program started to run as if it was going to install and then i got this message "Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007 encountered an error during setup"

How can I get this to install??? I need for school..

BTW..I already tried with no luck
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.2.Type cd "%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft Help", and then press ENTER.3.Type attrib -h rgstrtn.lck, and then press ENTER.4.Type del rgstrtn.lck, and then press ENTER.5.Type exit, and then press ENTER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 09:33 AM

18,543 posts, read 55,469,830 times
Could be any number of problems. (Doncha love the worthless error messages?) Pop the CD out and look for physical damage. I'm guessing you did the reinstall from a CD, so your CD drive should be ok. If you found bad spots on the hard drive, there could be more problems with that drive, and the program is encountering errors as it checks itself.

Unless you have another CD of the program, try making a copy of the CD and using verify in your CD burner software. Sometimes a CD that won't work properly will be re-read enough by burning software that the info can be copied off, and a successful install done from the copy.

If you are pushed for time, and that doesn't work, try a different program like Open Office. If that doesn't load, likely you have hard drive issues.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:47 PM

328 posts, read 1,430,827 times
Thanks..Now I have $150 down the drain

Old 07-20-2008, 03:28 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,015,411 times
Not at all.

run a chkdsk /x again, just to doublecheck, or get some 3rd party software (I don't know any off the top of my head besides the hard drive manufacturer specific stuff)

I'd try using CCleaner or some other software to remove all traces of Office from your computer (Check add/remove programs in control panel for it as well). And then make sure XP is updated, and then try installing Office again.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:37 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,756,563 times
I have Office 2007 and it looks sooooo different from prior versions.

Does Office 2007 work with XP Home? Perhaps there is something in there that requires XP Pro? Just curious.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,015,411 times
It should be compatible, theres no reason why it shouldn't be.

XP Home and Pro are essentially the same, home just lacks some enterprise level security features.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:03 PM

231 posts, read 130,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesareBetter View Post
(I have an actual CD with Code)
I definitely can't help you, then. Anybody who paid money for Office 2007 got suckered. Horrible stuff!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:40 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times
This may be a long shot, but could MS updates make a difference?

Old 07-20-2008, 11:01 PM

18,543 posts, read 55,469,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Not at all.

run a chkdsk /x again, just to doublecheck, or get some 3rd party software (I don't know any off the top of my head besides the hard drive manufacturer specific stuff)

I'd try using CCleaner or some other software to remove all traces of Office from your computer (Check add/remove programs in control panel for it as well). And then make sure XP is updated, and then try installing Office again.
I sorta agree, but I've found that if new errors are found on a second pass, most of the time the hard drive is too unstable a platform to use reliably anyway.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,171 times
While trying to install MS office 2007 [enterprise/home and student], the process halts midway asking me to suggest a path for a .cap file. When I do so, the installer backs up a bit and then the same msg appears? Whats going wrong and how do I fix it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or