U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:42 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times

Advertisements

Has anybody heard of or tried "sandboxing?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 06:29 AM

339 posts, read 1,149,538 times
It sounds interesting. I might look into this.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:01 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,722,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Has anybody heard of or tried "sandboxing?"
So you download it to a secure area, then run it and let this program decide if it's a virus or not. Why not just download the app and virus scan it before running it. Seems like the same thing to me. Heck, any decent AV Program will scan as the fie downloads anyway. I know my AVG has stopped some downloads of malicious software.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:33 PM

I'm not sure how it works, or why it doesn't need to be upgraded with new definitions, as AV programs and anti-malware programs are.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:12 AM

339 posts, read 1,149,538 times
Basically it forms a computer inside your hard drive and runs the software from there. That way, if it is infected, the viruses are trapped and cannot do anything to your computer. If it is not infected, then it will run as normal. It is basically designed to hold software that you are not sure about.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:49 PM

Yep. I was out of town and didn't have much time to look into it until now. This is one page that explains the idea pretty well. Someone else described it as a kind of virtual computer that would disappear, along with Internet history and so forth. If you wanted to look at girlie pictures, there would be no trace of it left on the computer.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:04 AM

I was talking to a virus/malware expert on another board. She said some types of malicious code is not virtualware compatible, so we'd still need to keep up our protective programs such as spybot s&d, AVG programs with firewall, and others.

Under the concept of "layering," no one program is considered enough, so when you have more than one like program, it reduces the chances of your getting infected. Sandboxing would be one more tool. I still would like to know more about it, and it's limitations. For example, if I'm in a virtual computer like sandboxie, and I want to download some stuff, I guess it would just be downloaded to the virtual computer and not the "real" one. That's the next thing I'll ask.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:06 AM

134 posts, read 115,169 times
Absolutely untrue. If you're using Windows you can create a virtual machine using VMWare player (downloaded from VMware: Virtualization via Hypervisor, Virtual Machine & Server Consolidation - VMware). Then, head on over to http://www.fedora.com or Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu and download yourself one of their LIVE CDs. Using VMWare Player, create yourself a new machine with the LIVE CD either mounted or popped into your CD-ROM drive. I would typically use a bridged ethernet connection (or wireless if that's what you're using), and then just load up Firefox for total worry free browsing.

Also, please point me to the thread you're talking about, because honestly what does it mean that it's not virtualware compatible? That sounds like a load of...

Old 08-03-2008, 06:56 PM

It occurred to me that maybe a person could use a virtual machine for the purpose of testing. If a guy were to download these bad critters he could learn what worked against it and what didn't, for example. Donna Buenaentura (Cnet:Malware, virus, & securty) and suggested that it was risky. But I think the setup you described would work. But on the other hand, I don't know if you could do anything but browse; in that case, you might not be downloading anything.

Last edited by Brian.Pearson; 08-03-2008 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: PS

Old 08-04-2008, 03:35 AM

134 posts, read 115,169 times
Well, if you're using Linux/FreeBSD, then you don't even need to worry about getting a virus, and still if you're using Windows + VMWare, you're fine. So, either way you're perfectly fine. Also, it's very easy to download files to your computer from within VMWare; just share between the two machines. Honestly though, why would anyone use Windows in this day and age? If I really need Windows for something, I just create a Virtual Machine from within FreeBSD. That's how I test all my code when I need to test in Windows environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers