U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:22 AM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times

Advertisements

I will drop in on the side of considering a laptop. Desktops are nice, but if, as you say, you aren't wanting to upgrade it later, why not buy a laptop that will do what you want? Pricewise they are now inexpensive. Take a look:

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop with AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor QL-60 - Onyx Blue - L355D-S7815 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8897624&st=laptop&lp=4&type=prod uct&cp=1&id=1212192350169 - broken link)

I'll probably get zapped for this since the "absolutely no advertising" MODs seem to be on a crusade, but I'll take a chance.

17" screen, 3GB RAM, 1.9ghz, 160GB drive, DVD/CD R/W, card reader, 56k modem, 10/100 nic, wireless b/g, built-in stereo.

What's not to like for $600.

Or wander through here:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo, Laptops / Notebooks, Laptops & Accessories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 12:11 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times
My wife got a laptop with the TruBrite technology. Looks good -- easier to clean than the normal screen you see. Only thing is you might have to make sure there isn't a light reflecting on the screen.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:51 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Unless my clients want to plan on upgrading later, or just plain want the cheapest piece of junk available I steer them to a laptop. A 17" screen is great, 15" isn't too tacky, larger ones have a separate number pad, and I use external mice and keyboards. Both usb. Not a one has been disappointed. Some are grateful when they go on trips and can check on family through email.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:52 PM

620 posts, read 1,884,188 times
I agree pretty much with what djmilf said about the Mac vs PC argument. I just might add that if you're new to computers and you just want a good tool to get the job done, buy the Macintosh.

Apple - iMac

It looks like they cost more than a comparable PC, but you get quite a bit more for your money that you would have to add to the ticket price in a PC. For example, the bundled software is more extensive and a better class of software by design than what you'll find bundled with a cheap PC. The OS is Apple's OS X, which runs on top of Unix which is the absolute best choice for stability and a deep library of available programs. It also has built in automated hourly backup software in the form of a program called Time Machine that is also part of the OS. You simply need to supply an external hard drive to back up to.

Not only will a Mac dual boot into either OS X or Windows XP or Vista, but you can run both Mac and a Windows OS at the same time, switching back and forth between them as needed. Also, for word processing, presentations and spreadsheets you can either buy Office from Microsoft, or iWork from Apple. You can get a free trial with both to try before you buy.

Apple's computers are extremely reliable, but if you prefer to be cautious you can opt for the expensive extended warranty which will extend the 1 year standard warranty with 90 day phone support to 3 years with full phone support. Real phone support! Apple's support center is in Austin, TX.

There are hundreds of reasons to buy the Mac over the PC, but really only one reason to buy the PC over the Mac, and that is the initial price. If you're not computer savvy, one virus WILL rob you of all that you save up front and then some.

My credentials? I sold both Apple and Wintel computers out of a retail store for six years. I've known both Apples and PCs since 1980. Currently I run 2 iMacs on a gigabit ethernet network with terabites of external storage. I only use PCs when they are required in a corporate environment.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:04 PM

553 posts, read 1,812,832 times
Wow, I just got home from a weekend away and you gave me a lot to think about. In a good way not a "Nick Burns" way, lol.

Also, is it standard for laptops to be wireless network ready?

Old 07-27-2008, 08:12 PM

620 posts, read 1,884,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
Wow, I just got home from a weekend away and you gave me a lot to think about. In a good way not a "Nick Burns" way, lol.

Also, is it standard for laptops to be wireless network ready?
I'll speak for Apple's computers and say that all Macs ship with IEEE 802.11n Wi-Fi, the fastest available today, as standard equipment. Check the link to find out all that comes with one.

Apple - Mac

Keep in mind that the Mac is gaining market share. Early this past week, unit sales of Macs were up over 40% for the quarter.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:08 AM

5,115 posts, read 4,721,701 times
Nearly all PC notebooks come with wireless. The cheaper ones come with the lower 802.11b/g wireless LAN. The more expensive ones come with 802.11n.

I pulled these four machines off the web for comparison purposes ONLY. I don't vouch for the speed, useability, or quality of any of these machines.

Toshiba Satellite $850
2.0 GHz AMD Turion X2 Processor, 13.3" WXGA display, 3GB DDR2 RAM, 250GB HD @ 5400 RPM, DVD Burner, Windows Vista Home Premium, 4 lbs, no idea on battery life.
Dell Inspiron 1525 $750
2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 15.4" WXGA display, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB HD @ 5400 RPM, DVD Burner, Windows Vista Home Premium, 6 lbs, 161 minutes battery life).

Purchasing the optional 250 GB HD for this notebook pushes the price to $800.

A CNet Editor's Pick for Best Mainstream Laptop.
HP Pavilion dv9812us $850
(2.0 GHz AMD Turion X2 Processor, 17" WVGA+ display, 3GB DDR2 RAM, 250GB HD @ 5400 RPM, DVD Burner, Windows Vista Home Premium, 7 lbs, 210 minutes battery life)

The HP Pavilion dv9700 series is a CNet Editor's Pick for Best Desktop Replacement Laptop.
Apple MacBook $1,100
(2.1 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, 13" display, 1GB DDR@ RAM, 120GB HD @ 5400 RPM, DVD ROM/CD-RW, Mac OS/X, 5 lbs, 270 minutes battery life)

Pushing up the RAM to 2GB and Hard Drive Capacity to 250GB on the MacBook will push the price to $1,350.

A CNet Editor's Pick for Best Laptop.
There are also 15" PCs that will also be comparable in price. The display area, weight and battery life will fall somewhere between the 13" and the 17" PCs.

If the Mac OS/X and Mac software is worth the extra $250 to $500 to you, then get the MacBook.

If your budget is tight, get something like the HP Pavilion for the big screen, or something like the Toshiba for the light weight, or something like the Dell for a compromise on screen size and weight. Also note as a general rules that big screens usually mean shorter battery time before recharging, but heavier weight usually means longer battery time.

You'll want more research before you purchase anything, these were just offered as examples.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:01 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,721,559 times
check out the dell web site, and the notebook forums-Dell does have lots of discounts
I have found they have real good support also. You may need to go with Vista
althought you may find xp. Dell also has good deals on laptops which seem to be
replacing the desk computer. Google dell buying a computer and read. I just got the 1720
laptop and really like it. If you work you also might get an employee discount. I think dell had a store web site and another, and one had better discounts. you can pratice
building what you want to get an idea of price and save it in the card and then
call sales and see if they will give you a discount if you buy from them. It may be 50-100 dollars more off.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:46 PM

553 posts, read 1,812,832 times
Default Need a bit more help

Ok, guuys thanks for all your help. I am "constructing" my desktop at HP and these are my choices:

No additional $$thernet LAN port on system board)
Included in priceId : EJ321AV Price : 1.00 EPP Price : 0.00 MIR : 0.00 IR : 0.00 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN card

+$30.00$$ KE556AV Price : 31.00 EPP Price : 0.00 MIR : 0.00 IR : 0.00 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN card & USB external modem

+$40.00$$ : GV387AV Price : 41.00 EPP Price : 0.00 MIR : 0.00 IR : 0.00 802.11 a/b/g/n Wireless LAN card

+$70.00$$ : FJ325AV Price : 71.00 EPP Price : 0.00 MIR : 0.00 IR : 0.00 Premium Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n (2x3) & Bluetooth(R )

Which one(s) will automatocically connect to the wireless network in the house I'm moving into? If any?

Thanks so much in advance....

Old 08-16-2008, 04:08 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,795,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Regarding the Mac vs PC argument...

I have PCs (four right now). I use them for work and for home. Except for the laptop, I've built the last three PCs myself. I wouldn't go with a Mac because I want to fine tune the computers that I use (still fine-tuning my expertise, too), because I need test environments for the business world, and because I want a higher-end gaming machine at home.

However, I've come to realize that not everyone needs a computer that they can fine-tune and upgrade...a lot of people just need a computing appliance.

If you just want something to work, don't care about how it works, don't want to run software that requires a Microsoft operating system, and can afford to spend a little more, buy a Mac product.

And also buy the expensive extended warranty with that Mac product, from the reports, you're probably gonna want it.

Even if you have to use some software that requires a Microsoft OS, they can now configure Macs to dual-boot Mac OS/X and Windows Vista...for the price of the additional Windows OS and the cost of having a Mac tech install it for you.

However, if you've got a really tight budget, go for the PC. A Mac mini new goes for $600, a name brand budget PC goes for $400. Yes, high end Macs are comparable in price to high-end Dells, but if you're on a budget then you're not looking at the high-end stuff. Yes, you can pick up refurbished Macs for less, but then you can also pick up refurbished PCs for even less than refurbished Macs. My dad got such a deal last week, my old Pentium IV 3.0 GHz with Windows XP SP3, 3GB RAM, 120GB of disk, DVD burners, and a low-range video card...all for free.

Oh, and get a good Anti-Virus software package for the PC.
Very much so!

My Mac Mini died one month after the one year warranty expired (lost the hard drive).

After pricing out the one Apple computer with a 'modular design' (Mac Pro); I went back to a Windows PC ($625 out the door vs. almost $3,000 for the big Mac)

And; much as I hate to say this: the OP may indeed be better off buying the Windows Vista OS. I am typing this post on my 2 week old H-P machine---------just that 4 Gig of RAM apparently keeps my Vista Service Pack I operating properly.

Note too due to a tip from another poster on this Forum, I switched my view to the Windows XP style. Envision Vista guts with an XP face
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers