U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:50 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,739,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Yeah, but the original poster asked why new gaming pc's cost so much.
People like flaunting the latest and greatest, that's all. It usually has little to do with real-world game performance. Go to most LAN parties, and you'll see a mix of systems. Sometimes someone on a smaller slower system will still kick butt on a modern game.

Heck, we had some boxes that were well below my little machine's spec at the last LAN party I went to.

Quote:
rcsteiner, the best PC is the one that you're happy with. If you have more fun playing the games that you listed, great!

I was assuming that nightwishfan was looking for a PC that would play current and future releases.
Well, admittedly the box can be made "competitive" with a minor CPU and PCI-E video update (drop a multi-core E4400 for $100 or whatever and a $200 video card in it for all I care), and that would drive the cost up to $600 or so.

However, one could make the argument that it can play almost anything you want NOW. No need to pay all of that money if it's just game playing you want and not just having the longest electronic phallus (which is what most people use their fancy game boxes for ... status symbols).

Here's a challenge: I'd be very curious to learn which games I would not be able to play effectively on that system. Show me the link to a so-called "modern" demo, and I'll report back on its performance at various resolutions.

I'm currently limited to DirectX9, though, I think. Win2k. I won't run Vista here.

Quote:
And your little brother's $450 Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX? Please tell me he bought that a while ago...the ATI Radeon HD 4850 matches it in performance and sells for $175.
He's had it for quite a while. 18 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 03:45 PM

5,115 posts, read 4,721,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Here's a challenge: I'd be very curious to learn which games I would not be able to play effectively on that system. Show me the link to a so-called "modern" demo, and I'll report back on its performance at various resolutions.
You may be on to something here...you might not need to spend more than $400 or $600 for a gaming PC.

I went to Tom's Hardware: Hardware News, Tests and Reviews and took a look at what they use for benchmarking the PCs created in their system building marathons.

The games that they benchmark against are Crysis, Prey, Supreme Commander, Unreal Tournament 3, and Warhammer: Mark of Chaos. Each of these purportedly has a demo, I've include the links to webpages below. These aren't direct links, you'll have to navigate to them yourself.

EA : Crysis : Home Page (http://www.ea.com/crysis/home.jsp - broken link)

Prey Official Site or 3D Realms Site: Download Details

Supreme Commander

Open Directory - Games: Video Games: Shooter: U: Unreal Games: Unreal Tournament Series

Warhammer®: Mark of Chaos™ (http://www.markofchaos.com/warhammer.php - broken link)

I've never downloaded or played these games.

The game that I do play (too much) is Everquest 2. I originally played EQ and moved on to EQ2. There's a demo for EQ2. Some of my guildies are looking for upgrades; it would be great if your rig was able to handle the game.

EverQuest II - Massively Multiplayer Role-Playing Game

My original PC, a Gateway 550GR with a stock Pentium IV 3.0 GHz processor, an expanded 3GB of RAM, and an upgraded ATI Radeon X800 256 MB video card. I couldn't get the PC to work above a setting of 'very-high-performance' and the PC would overheat in about 5 minutes. Had to keep the case open and a table-top fan blowing into the interior to keep it from rebooting.

My current PC is a home-built with a Core 2 Duo E6600 overclocked to 3.0 GHz, 2GB of RAM, an ATI Radeon X3870 wth 512 MB, and XP (not XP Pro). It can usually run EQ2 on 'hi graphics' display except in areas with high player population; then the frame rate drops and I get some terrible screen stutter.

Oh, and I don't carry this behemoth around to LAN parties, so my "eletronic phallus" doesn't get much notice, even if it a large black one that flashes red and glows blue (thanks to an Abit AW9D-MAX motherboard and an Antec 900 case).

Old 07-30-2008, 03:06 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,355,549 times
unless youre look to play the games at max quality the dell xps is a great computer. i got a xps420 in january and once i popped win xp in its been great. vista slowed it down a bit with some annoying hard drive problems. for $1500 i got:

quad core q6600 2.4
nvidia 8800gt 512mb
3gb 800mhz ram
500gb 7200rpm hard drive
22" widescreen lcd
dvd burner

it plays ever quest 2 great (and thats a resource hog!)
team fortress 2 max setting great
tho i havent tried the far cry sequels cause they look boring

Old 07-30-2008, 10:34 PM

Fishy, I am looking to play the game at max quality. If the good people who coded the game put so much detail into it, then we owe it to them to see it.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:33 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times
Do you need gamer type equipment for something like Civilization?

Old 07-31-2008, 08:48 PM

Probably not...Civilization IV is the latest PC version of the game, released in the fall of 2005 (almost 3 years ago).

It's requirements are:
1.2GHz processor
256 MB RAM
64 MB Video Card
Sound Card
Keyboard & Mouse

The current bargain basement brand PCs all surpass these requirements.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:14 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times
Somebody told me that my processor, at 1.5 GHz, translated into something bigger in a desktop. It made me feel better, but at the same time, it was puzzling.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,524,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwishfan View Post
Why are gaming computers so freaking expensive? Is it the processor? The graphics card? All this and more?

I'd really like a better performing computer for games (3d, MMORPGs, second-life-esque, and the like), but geez $2000 and up??!! How much on average would it cost for a person to just build their own, is it close to the same price range?

Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks!
build it yourself. They see the word gaming and the $$$$$ move over their eyes. I managed to build my gaming machine for about half or even less than half of what some of these companies build em for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers